Changing a fuel filter on a YD25 D22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navmania

Reaction score
Hi all. Just thought I would put up the difference between a genuine fuel filter and an aftermarket one. The thing that I noticed when I bought the new genuine filter from Nissan is that it comes with two rubber o rings now. In the past when I have bought them they have only ever had the one that goes on the bottom of the filter where the water drain and sender screws in. This is how the new filter comes. The o rings look like an after thought or an update to how I use to buy them. image-3851826036.jpg This is the difference in size from the genuine and a Nippon max brand filter. The Nissan filter on the left is bigger. image-3351314753.jpg This is how I found and have always recalled the under side of the primer housing being. No o ring. I didn't remove it if it ever was there. image-3350165084.jpg This is how it should look with the o ring in place. image-2686121842.jpg This is where the second o ring goes. image-562374049.jpg Complete and back together. Ready to go back in. image-1960617915.jpg I have found that using the aftermarket filters has given me some running problems from time to time. The last issue I had was a massive flat spot on gear changes. I can only assume that the filter was letting in air from the missing o ring. I don't know if Nissan have just started adding this o ring as I have used genuine filters in the past and have never been supplied the small o ring that goes on the primer I have only ever been supplied the bigger one that goes on the water drain and sender assembly. I hope this helps people that didn't know about this. Cheers Brad.

Hey mate. Normally I will just give it a few pumps then start it up. Then go back while its idling and pump it a bit more if it starts to run ruff. Just don't pump it to much or it will give you a fuel rail pressure fault and go into limp mode. If it dose it should clear with a restart. The main thing is to get a bit of fuel into the empty filter, it will prime itself from the return pretty quick.
Cheers.

maybe it would be wise to fill up the new filter with deisel before fitting it on its housing mount. this way will ensure you that there is a good amount of fuel in the filter then that final prime pump on top with engine running should clear any air locks. just make sure all is 100% perfectly clean when screwing on the new filter to pump housing. another mention on this filter change should add the use of a fine skim of grease to the new Rubber O - Rings just like we do with the oil filter o-ring seal to assure a perfect seal without any distorsion to the rubber surface.

When I changed mine I just dipped my finger in the diesel in the old filter and used that to lube the gasket/seal/whatever you want to call it on top. Didn't have the small o-ring for the threaded section on the filter housing and haven't had any problems since fitting. That was a ryco filter too. Didn't bother filling the filter. Just chucked it on, primed it til I couldn't push the plunger any more and kicked it in the guts... no air leaks or fuel draining back problems whatsoever...

I filled mine to the top as well, plus clamped both hoses into the hosing..car started straight up and ran for 30secs then conked out..cranked it over again on the starter and after 10secs started back up again..no probs since

As bods said I just use a bit of diesel on the o rings. The only reason I fitted the small o ring was because it came with the new filter. I don't bother filling the filter either, just pump it up. The injector pump recirculates the fuel way faster than the engine can use it so it will self prime. The only time air in the fuel line is a bitch is when it's from the tank as its a long way and a lot of air. If anyone has done a diesel purge you will see when running clear lines how much air is in the line and the engine still runs fine.

I should also add, I didn't remove the filter head/primer assembly from the vehicle. Just undid the mounting bolts and rotated it to crack it loose then flipped it back over so I didn't fill the engine bay with diesel lol when removing the filter...

Latest posts

Back