Have you blocked your EGR ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you blocked your EGR on your NP300

• Yes I have

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • No I haven't

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Thinking about it but not sure yet

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Only after my warranty period has run out

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have blocked mine as well and got a catch can. Have not noticed an gains in performance or economy after driving 10000kms. Have taken it out. Will refit when I get full exhaust and tune.

there is no perfomance gains, you just keep the exhaust crap out of the manifold the cylinders and the oil. you will notice after the blank that oil stays normal colour for longer and its not black like death after 1000 kms. good mod if you plan to keep your truck for a long time.

I have blocked mine as well and got a catch can. Have not noticed an gains in performance or economy after driving 10000kms. Have taken it out. Will refit when I get full exhaust and tune.

I feel like you're missing the point in fitting the plate! The idea is to block any soot entering your engine, making your engine run better and cleaner. Will prevent your intake manifold from clogging up.

Any performance gains a merely a positive side effect....

I feel like you're missing the point in fitting the plate! The idea is to block any soot entering your engine, making your engine run better and cleaner. Will prevent your intake manifold from clogging up.

Any performance gains a merely a positive side effect....

I have taken it out because I have done my own research and have come to the conclusion I'm not as smart as multi billion dollars engine designers

Last edited:

what's the purpose for refitting it after a tune and exhaust.
the reason for installing it the first place stays the same?

what's the purpose for refitting it after a tune and exhaust.

the reason for installing it the first place stays the same?

The reason for installing it in the first place was I didn't know much about it and started listening to everyone on forums who says to do it. I then done proper research and not biased opinions from people that are selling them and realised is there for more reasons than most people think. So

The reason for installing it in the first place was I didn't know much about it and started listening to everyone on forums who says to do it. I then done proper research and not biased opinions from people that are selling them and realised is there for more reasons than most people think. So

the only reason is enviromental. before i blank mine i was afraid that blanking the egr will cause trouble to the engine tune in case the ECU was meant to open the egr and reduce diesel as well into the mixture as well. when i researched a bit and saw the fuel pump and quantity of diesel added doesnt even communicate with egr or any of that crap i went ahead a blanked it. 2 years now and i have good and clean manifold. when you say researched you mean googled it? 9/10 articles there are load of garbage and mostly meant for petrol naturally aspirated cars (which egr probably is bad idea to blank yes)

the only reason is enviromental. before i blank mine i was afraid that blanking the egr will cause trouble to the engine tune in case the ECU was meant to open the egr and reduce diesel as well into the mixture as well. when i researched a bit and saw the fuel pump and quantity of diesel added doesnt even communicate with egr or any of that crap i went ahead a blanked it. 2 years now and i have good and clean manifold. when you say researched you mean googled it? 9/10 articles there are load of garbage and mostly meant for petrol naturally aspirated cars (which egr probably is bad idea to blank yes)

Yes I know it's a never ending debate and most people have already made up there minds. But 9/10 articles are for deleting or blanking it and are mostly from people that sell aftermarket parts. So it's hard to just google as you say to find a true answer. It will affect the engine tune under certain driving conditions. It will affect the engine temperatures as well. It will affect the amount of Deisel as when there is NOx introduced into the intake instead of oxygen the Deisel should be reduce as well. Other wise your mixtures will be out. Maybe the the engine management system adapts when the blank is put it there as it realises there is no NOx entering the intake and only oxygen.

Yes I know it's a never ending debate and most people have already made up there minds. But 9/10 articles are for deleting or blanking it and are mostly from people that sell aftermarket parts. So it's hard to just google as you say to find a true answer. It will affect the engine tune under certain driving conditions. It will affect the engine temperatures as well. It will affect the amount of Deisel as when there is NOx introduced into the intake instead of oxygen the Deisel should be reduce as well. Other wise your mixtures will be out. Maybe the the engine management system adapts when the blank is put it there as it realises there is no NOx entering the intake and only oxygen.

you are just driving a nissan, it doesnt realise NOx or oxygen in the intake, it only has a MAF sensor to find out what air flows inside. its also wrong and the diesel is not reduced when egr is open, its all in the service manual. the only factor to whether egr is open is coolant temperature and engine load rpm wise. nothing bad about you not wanting to blank but its also not good idea to say wrong things that other people might read and believe

MAF measures air in.. MAP measures pressure in the Manifold and o2 sensor in the exhuast measures the oxygen content of the burnt fuel to feel back to the EMS to adjust fueling as required.

Now there is LTFT and STFT.. Long Term are a set of numbers the engine has worked out is what the "adjustment" factor is and applies them. STFT are Short Term on the fly adjustments.

The 02 sensor in your exhaust is also SLOW to react, so it's not adjusting all the time.

That's why when you do a Battery reset, you are Resetting your LT and ST fuel trims and your engine can seem more "spritely" until it learns.

Blocking the EGR would change only the LTFT by a small percentage as the engine would be programmed to see x% oxygen in the exhaust stream with the EGR open. Blocking this would result in the % being out and the engine then effecting a number offset to the LTFT.

*LTFT = Long Term Fuel Trim
*STFT = Short Term Fuel Trim

My old 2005 d22 now has 340000ks of towing done , clean enough oil for a car of these ks, no smoke and runs like a dream, I never bothered with a blanking plate. Not saying Im right but its still going strong.

My NP300 2016 is blocked from factory. I'm in Costa Rica
I will post some pictures

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

It will affect the engine tune under certain driving conditions. It will affect the engine temperatures as well. It will affect the amount of Diesel as when there is NOx introduced into the intake instead of oxygen the Diesel should be reduce as well. Other wise your mixtures will be out. Maybe the the engine management system adapts when the blank is put it there as it realizes there is no NOx entering the intake and only oxygen.

It doesn't induce NOx into the manifold. Exhaust gas flows into the inlet manifold (yes by nature there would be a very small % of that gas being NOx) the idea of this is to displace some of the oxygen and nitrogen, which air is mostly made up off. Another way to put it- It changes the composition of the charge air.

So when combustion takes place because of the less nitrogen and oxygen in the charge air less it dampens combustion and less NOx is produced. It does not effect AFR as there is still the same volume of air and fuel entering the engine for a given engine speed and boost pressure. It affects what that air comprises of. So AFR remains the same.

Yes, by blocking the EGR it does increase combustion temperatures, however under normal driving conditions this slight increase in EGT. will have little or no increase in coolant or oil temperature.

There is a benefit by blocking the EGR as there is no doubt it stops carbon deposits in the inlet manifold and why lately vehicle manufactures, particularly of larger vehicles, trucks and buses have abandoned the EGR approach to reducing NOx and treating the exhaust as it leaves the engine with Add Blue (urea) injection.

By blocking the EGR you alone will not have an environmental effect however something to keep in mind it is illegal to do so and NOx is a carcinogenic and acid rain forming gas.

Np300 2,5 TDI 2016
It was blocked from factory

1316c2c52ae9f185e622383857b655ab.jpg
5331c938887906e028583faa9373fe8f.jpg
ce3fecaff3cd1d16f5e759c989aa329b.jpg

Last edited:
I had mine blocked from 1000 km. Don't know if it was related but ended up with a cracked erg control/coolant block resulting in a big exhaust leak and shit economy. 3 weeks for Nissan to fix it and getting a lot better economy and feels better to drive. I've left the egr block out as I don't plan keeping the car anyway. I've only ever owned cars for 2-3 yrs.

Egr blankplate

Surely this isn't still being debated?
Google blocked egr or blocked inlet manifold, talk to a local independent mechanic or better yet pull the egr off for a quick look inside on an engine that's done 150,000+ ks without a blankplate.
Then see what you reckon....

yes if you want a nice clean inlet manifold free of soot build up you must block the dreaded EGR , if you prefere you have a dirty inlet and problems down the track with power loss etc etc , just leave the egr stock. i like a clean engine, say no more.

Latest posts

Back