At my wits end! Vibrations!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah that's it Tony. Absolute joke. So like $150 to still have the same problem is a great outcome. I really don't want to get rid of my steelies as I think they set the ute off just nice but I have had a gutfull and just want to walk away from them now.

Still tossing up whether to spend $100 plus $450 for stockies and powdercoat, with hankook ATM's at $220 a corner or give ROH a chance with their 'blak trak' range with hankook ATM's for $1400 fitted with new nuts and centre caps.

Never hear of 'sunraysia' brand Jonney. I thought they were around in the 70's and now the name/legacy lives on.

Anyway. It's all going to be more hard earned cash either way I just want a bloody ute hat doesn't rattle my teeth out on the freeway.

Thanks again.

Matt

There is another way to deal with it.

Remove the tyres and have them balance the rims themselves. THEN fit the tyres and balance again. Surely that would achieve the goal?

My thinking is that if the rim is not balanced, it will vibrate within the boundaries allowed by the sidewall flex. The overall combination of wheel and tyre might be balanced, but the rim can move within the tyre, especially at lower pressures - if you let 10psi out you might find the problem a lot worse.

That might solve the entire problem for you - at least it makes sense in my head. But I also watch Star Trek, so my head isn't on the straightest road you can find.

I see plenty of black stock alloys on d22's in Brisbane, they look good when well coated. The +40 offset may not fill the guards as much as some would like though.

you can buy Hub Centric Spacers. .
you should always have hub spacers. otherwise every time you bolt a wheel on it can be slightly out of alignment and will vibrate.
if the bolt patten is not centered you will notice when you use hub spacer.

Yeah I see your logic Tony, but to hell if I am paying a bunch of halfwits to balance my wheels twice!!

I think I'm just going to get some stockies. Found a set for $100. Anyone know if all years of d22 wheels fit any d22? I assume they do.

Yeah black powder coat is the only way to go as far as I am concerned, do it once do it right. Should have learnt by now! Just get some satin powdercoat, nice new tyres and be done with it.

Matt.

At least there's nothing mechanically wrong with the vehicle...

Yeah all stock d22 rims are the same. As you have found, they can be had pretty cheap these days haha. I have 265/75s on mine. You probably wouldn't want to go much wider than that on a 7 inch rim...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Yeah that's true mate. Picking up a set today for $100. Nobody wants them I guess coz they are bloody ugly. Maybe look a bit better with black on them. Cheers.

They aren't the best looking wheel out there, but even with a 265/75 at tyre on them, from memory mine weighed in at just under 20kg on the bathroom scales lol

33kg with 265-75/16 bfg at, 26kg with 255-70/16 road tyres is what i got.
42kg for 16x8 sunnies with 285-75/16 federal couragia mt's.

Yeah I see your logic Tony, but to hell if I am paying a bunch of halfwits to balance my wheels twice!!
they probably balanced the wheels just fine.
tire balances often center the wheel on the center hole.
BUT your centering it on the stud holes, not the center hole.
ie your putting the wheel on off centered. it can be perfectly balanced and it will always vibrate if the wheel is off center.

Yeah that's a fair point. Maybe the wheels were always buggered and the 2nd balance (after the original fitters couldn't get it right) I got on them was a sheer fluke. I ended up biting the bullet today and just couldn't deal with the ugliness of the stockers.

Laid down $1500 for a brand new set of ROH (Aussie made) steelies with centre caps and new wheel nuts. Went with 265/70/16 Hankook Dynapro ATM. Plenty of good reviews online for those tyres. Time to change it up, have always run BFGs so we will see how the Hankook's go. Don't do much off-roading these days anyway, just a bit of touring.

I will let you know Friday how they go once they are all fitted up and I give it a run down the freeway.

Cheers.

New wheels fitted up and the ute is so much better to drive. I really rate these Hankook's. They feel nice on the road, much better than the BFG A/Ts. I'm heading to the Daintree from Sydney on Monday so I'll be putting them through their paces. I think it has fixed it so I'm happy. Going on for an alignment tomorrow and front end check. See how it all goes.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Matt

Well i also have a weird vibration in my front end that no one can solve.
About to replace my draglink and idler arm, will be checking my kings sunnies out if it keeps up.
Any updates on your ROH sunnies?

Back