Oil Filter case

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldie

Reaction score
This might be a stupid question.
Is the oil filter case right of left hand thread.
I've tried right hand but it ain't budging.
cheers

That's correct, normal thread- undo anti- clockwise. It's a large, coarse thread with an o-ring and should not be over tightened. The torque setting is written on the housing, and it's quite low. I always use a torque wrench to do it up after a filter change. May have been over tightened in the past. Good luck, go easy- I seem to remember a bloke on here ages ago cracked his trying to get it undone.

there is the arrow showing the tightening direction but I got a bad feeling the idiot mechanics who did the last service might have used a thread locker of some kind but that would be stupid.
I've dropped the crankcase oil, would it be an idea to refill with oil, heat the engine up a bit and try again ??

Could try a few 'shock' hits with a hammer on the bolt head.?
Then if possible use an even longer handle or extention to try and crack it.

what are you using to undo this filter ? sounds like whats holding it on tight is the o - ring seal is dry and just needs a good crack to set it lose. you shouldn,t need to use heat from the engine etc just use some good old elbow grease, she will come .

I'm using a short 1/2 inch drive with big rachet, there's enuff access room from the engine bay.
I'm having a break at the mo so will go out and give it a few taps with a hammer.
elbow grease ?? I've just about pulled my arm outa the shoulder socket trying to get it off LOL

Doesn't sound too good. If mechanic tightened the sh*t out of it, it probably squashed the o-ring and may have deformed the thread a bit. I would suggest slowly applied force with a breaker bar and use an extension i.e. length of pipe if necessary. I would avoid hitting with a hammer so as not to crack the housing.

yes if you can hold a good tension on the filter nut, it should losen off. don,t just try and undo with one great pull on the wrench, let the strong tension do the work.

what a bloody carry on but it's done now.
tapped it with a hammer but it still wouldn't budge.
Searched thru all my old tools and found a 1/2 inch socket bar with the curved end, a bit of pipe on the end for better leverage and it finally came off.
so now the old girl has new filters all round and new engine oil wooo hooo
just gotta find the gear box filler plug and a tube of nulon is going in.
Thanks for all the tips and help.
Cheers to all

It had a full service early this year, oils and filters except for the air filter and I'd be lucky if I've done 8,000 kms so far.
I bet the mongrels never changed the oil filter which has me thinking I got charged for stuff they never did.
I'll be doing it myself from now on.

I would avoid hitting with a hammer so as not to crack the housing.

Just for the record, the hammer idea wasnt a flogging type of a hit - more a few light taps. Probably not the greatest idea but when all else fails. I wouldnt think that sort of treatment would do damage. All good now tho, good to hear it came undone for you :cheers!:

Just for the record, the hammer idea wasnt a flogging type of a hit - more a few light taps. Probably not the greatest idea but when all else fails. I wouldnt think that sort of treatment would do damage. All good now tho, good to hear it came undone for you :cheers!:

Fair enough, normally I would totally agree, but those filter housings are alloy and quite thin- I don't reckon it would take much to crack one.
Anyway, glad to hear it came off ok in the end.

I totally agree, tapping with a hammer was a waste of time and there isn't much room to hit it hard anyway.
You just need the right tool with a bit of leverage. First time I've done the job and I know what to do next time.

An old rule of thumb for tightening oil filter and I'm sure way back in the day it was written on box filter came in,was screw on filter till it touches then give it another 1/4 turn.I have used this on all my cars and bikes and never had a problem.

An old rule of thumb for tightening oil filter and I'm sure way back in the day it was written on box filter came in,was screw on filter till it touches then give it another 1/4 turn.I have used this on all my cars and bikes and never had a problem.
ZD30 doesn't use the typical spin on filters where you replace the whole filter. They have a cast alloy housing which threads directly onto the block. You just replace the internal filter element, screw the housing back on and tighten to the recommended torque which is stamped on the housing. (For the record this is 2.5 kg-force meters which is around 18 pound-force foot or 24.5 Nm)

Latest posts

Back