D22 Neutral Position Switch Test

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonk8

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been covered before, but their is a simple way to test your neutral position switch.

With the engine idling and clutch depressed and in neutral, switch on the heat switch. The revs should come up to 1200ish. Now move the gear stick into each gear, one at a time. When you select a gear, the revs will drop back to idle, and back to 1200ish when in neutral. If any gear does not drop the revs, their is a problem with the neutral position switch.

What I want to know is there a way to disable this.

I.e. have heat switch on and keep high revs when in gear

As is it is still useful though.

Good for getting charge back it to the batt after drainage from...
air compressor
winch
fridge
etc

Not sure if this has been covered before, but their is a simple way to test your neutral position switch.

With the engine idling and clutch depressed and in neutral, switch on the heat switch. The revs should come up to 1200ish. Now move the gear stick into each gear, one at a time. When you select a gear, the revs will drop back to idle, and back to 1200ish when in neutral. If any gear does not drop the revs, their is a problem with the neutral position switch.

I noticed this on mine and always wondered why the revs rose when the heat switch was on... i thought it was a "nissan stuffup funny" having a electric idle up...

cheers mark.

Don't no quiet what's going on, but what hapens to the switch? Is it the wires get damaged or something? Cus mine was surging, then I was scoping out the switch to see how hard it'd be to remove, then I try this test and it dropped back on every gear, and it's not surging anymore..

im not sure what the issue is but its probably a sticky contact. you may find its an intermittent fault.

Alright, might be worth just changing it anyways then for the sake of only 60 buks, cheers

What I want to know is there a way to disable this.

I.e. have heat switch on and keep high revs when in gear

As is it is still useful though.

Good for getting charge back it to the batt after drainage from...
air compressor
winch
fridge
etc

why have high revs in gear to charge battery ????? works well as is , in neutral , charge battery while sitting in camp chair drinking stubby.. not chasing a navara, pulling 1200 rpm in gear down the track,, :suicide2:

Haha, thanks for this. I just finished cleaning the truck and took it for a drive and noticed it was sitting at about 1200rpm in neutral... I had accidently knocked the heat switch in my cleaning. :)

does anyone know of a neutral safety switch i can put on my car so it doesn't start in gear?? I've just brought the top of range viper pager remote start alarm system and i need the neutral safety switch otherwise i run the risk of remote starting car from where ever i am and car drives off before i even get into it

does anyone know of a neutral safety switch i can put on my car so it doesn't start in gear?? I've just brought the top of range viper pager remote start alarm system and i need the neutral safety switch otherwise i run the risk of remote starting car from where ever i am and car drives off before i even get into it

Every day I start my car while still standing outside it so that the aircon cools it down a bit, only problem is when other people drive it and leave it in gear. Happens to me on a weekly basis and the car only ever moves a small bit forward before cutting out. I could check to make sure its not in gear but for some reason I never do.

its all good if you stand out the car but if you remote start it from in the house and my nav ends up driving down the road at 6am someones going to get a nasty wake up call and me a massive damage bill

its all good if you stand out the car but if you remote start it from in the house and my nav ends up driving down the road at 6am someones going to get a nasty wake up call and me a massive damage bill

What I was trying to say( might have come across wrong) is that the car wont take of trying to start in gear( mine anyway), Mine will lurch forward like a foot and stop on its own. I dont know if it would be different if I was parked facing down a hill. I guess then it may be a different story.

Apparently its there so you cant rev the engine to hard in neutral so you wont do damage.

Never tried to see how high it will rev in neutral to find out if its true or not.

Latest posts

Back