Oil catch can install. Some good info.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BENNYSTRUCK

Reaction score
Rightio Boys and Girls

A friend of mine put me onto a ZD30 reference manual for the patrol.
GU Patrol Reference Document (ZD30 owners look here) - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum

Anyway Page 35 starts with a DIY Catch Can so i thought id give it a shot.

Worked out cheaper than buying a Provent or Drift etc.

Cost me about $30 for the barbs and fuel hose. Everything else i got from work or the shed.

Turned out pretty well just need to make up a bracket now.

I put a screw cap on the bottom, so i can drain it and then change the steelos if need be

Enjoy

Attachments

• P3020001.jpg
    P3020001.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 1,674
  • P3020002.jpg
    P3020002.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 1,473
  • P3020003.jpg
    P3020003.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 1,363
Some more pics

I used 900mm pipe coz thats what i had at home.

Attachments

• P3020005.jpg
    P3020005.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 999
  • P3020004 (2).JPG
    P3020004 (2).JPG
    210.2 KB · Views: 1,126
  • P3020009.JPG
    P3020009.JPG
    212.1 KB · Views: 1,121
I noticed that i had a heap more oil residue in the front of the turbo after doing the EGR Mod. I cleaned my Unifilter over the weekend aswell while i installed it. I had a tonne of oily residue on there. Should be all sweet now. Il see how it goes.

ENJOY!!!!!!!

Attachments

• P3020011.JPG
    P3020011.JPG
    201.3 KB · Views: 1,407
  • P3020008.jpg
    P3020008.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 1,249
  • P3040005.jpg
    P3040005.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1,320
  • P3050008.jpg
    P3050008.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 1,785
  • P3050012.jpg
    P3050012.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 1,707
Nice work! Tempted to ditch my little (250mls) can as i can fill that in 5k of towing.....

Two more nipples and some clear tube on the side will be a simple sight glass so you know when to empty!

Well it works.

Empited it last week when i dropped the oil. Roughly 150ml of oil in there. Bucket from bunnings sits where the precleaner was, hoses stop it from touching the bottom of bucket. Unscrew the bottom, pull out steel scourers. Leave them on some newspaper on the grass to dry out. Put it all back together.

Like a bought one.......!!!!

Side note:
Since doing the EGR Mod i have changed my oil twice - 2nd time just last week. Ive noticed that my oil stays oil for longer and doesnt go black straight away when i turn the car over. Its been a week and is still oil. EGR Mod is doing wonders for your engine.

Are there any catch can cautions to be aware of?
I have rebuilt my turbo and now have a psychotic fear of doing it again.
Just installed the catch can;

1. I read not to have it too close to the turbo/exhaust. Is this for heat reasons?

2. Do you put scourers/filters inside the can? I have an openable alloy $70ebay can. Would scourers break down with oil/heat/time and go through the turbo. Without a filter will the can catch any oil? Ive used $20 per meter pirtek oil-rated hoses for fear of disintegration and engine ingestion.

Thanks guys, Tom

Are there any catch can cautions to be aware of?
I have rebuilt my turbo and now have a psychotic fear of doing it again.
Just installed the catch can;

1. I read not to have it too close to the turbo/exhaust. Is this for heat reasons?

2. Do you put scourers/filters inside the can? I have an openable alloy $70ebay can. Would scourers break down with oil/heat/time and go through the turbo. Without a filter will the can catch any oil? Ive used $20 per meter pirtek oil-rated hoses for fear of disintegration and engine ingestion.

Thanks guys, Tom

1. heat. especially if made of plastic.

2. fit pot scourors not steel wool. scourers are thicker and won't break down into small bits like steel wool does.
you can use other types of filters depending on how you mod your can.
with out a filter it catches bugger all oil.
also got to watch that the oil vapour doesn't sneak around the edges of the filter and bypass it.

Hey guys,
Was thinkin I might do this mod next as seems pretty beneficial and quite cheap! I'm gonna buy a can. Could I just then follow the same fitting instructions in the patrol reference document for the homemade version? Or are the instructions on here somewhere else I haven't seen? Anything else I would need?
Sorry guys, im sure you know by now my mechanical ability is almost as bad as my jokes, so just wanna get it right in my head before I start!
Cheers, Marcus

Installed it at the front that way its away from the heat, can change oil filter and air filter easily. Easy to move to clean.......Dual battery will go where the fuel filter is eventually.

Attachments

• P5050001.jpg
    P5050001.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 2,117
  • P5050002.jpg
    P5050002.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 1,839
  • P5050004.jpg
    P5050004.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 1,704
  • P5050005.jpg
    P5050005.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 1,597
  • P5050007.jpg
    P5050007.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 1,723
Im assuming, the air with the oil vapour from the PCV goes to the IN fitting through the catch can and then the oil sit on the bottom of the catch can then the air flows through the catch can through the pot scrubber then to the OUT hose fitting then to the air intake hose. I might be wrong but thats what im assuming would happen

BP90 said:
Im assuming, the air with the oil vapour from the PCV goes to the IN fitting through the catch can and then the oil sit on the bottom of the catch can then the air flows through the catch can through the pot scrubber then to the OUT hose fitting then to the air intake hose. I might be wrong but thats what im assuming would happen

Thanks smartass. My question is more for the homemade job. Does it go through the steel wool on the way in or the way out.

either one.

the BIG thing to watch is the inlet and outlet are a distance apart and that the oil mist doesn't find a shortcut around the steel wool.

btw don't use steel wool as its to fine and wil break apart. use pot scrubbers they are a lot stronger.

Thanks smartass. My question is more for the homemade job. Does it go through the steel wool on the way in or the way out.

Sorry joshman i wasnt in anyway trying to be smart, i was just explaining it from how i interpreted the diy thats in the patrol zd30 reference guide which this diy catch can was sourced from. I didnt mean to come across as being a smartarse, just saying how i thought it was meant to work and then hoping that someone who knows more about catch cans could either correct me if i was wrong or tell me that i had understood the flow of the air properly as i am going to have a go at making one myself.

So in short i was basically tryin to say that how i interpreted the diy is that the air goes through the pot scrubbers on the way out of the catch can. Sorry again mate

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back