Oil catch can install. Some good info.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got one of them in mine, only fitted it on the weekend. Not sure on the zd30s, but the yd25 has 19mm pcv hoses from the factory, so the standard hose fits perfectly. The hardest bit is trying to find somewhere to put it... I will try and get pics, but I mounted mine below the airbox on the inside of the quarter panel. I'm not totally sold on the position of it, but that was all I could do at the time using the factory hose. There's not a lot of room with the abs module and stuff there...

bump.

looking to fit mine now. i have 2nd batt and now what a pain in the arse with regards to finding a home for catch can..... where did you guys secure it?

no room against firewall.
no room behind airbox and fuel filter.

little room underneath airbox on 1/4 panel but how do you access it do clean?

also where did you pick up the oil resistant hose? there isnt a clark rubber within an hour of me?

bump.

looking to fit mine now. i have 2nd batt and now what a pain in the arse with regards to finding a home for catch can..... where did you guys secure it?

no room against firewall.
no room behind airbox and fuel filter.

little room underneath airbox on 1/4 panel but how do you access it do clean?

also where did you pick up the oil resistant hose? there isnt a clark rubber within an hour of me?

I was thinking about making a bracket to mount to the bull bar on the inside of the grill to mount it but that is as far as I got. Might just replace the exhaust manifold at 100.000 kms and clean the intercooler out etc.

I ended up putting me small forefront one on the motor next to the dipstick seems to work well and got me oil resistant hose from autobarn had to heat the hose to get it to fit over the can

I stopped talking About fitting my small forefront catch can and spent yesterday morning getting it done, the biggest dilemma I was having was where was it going to fit (yd25 dual batts), there is literally zero room left in there.

So after plenty of dummy fitting I decided to bolt it on to the wheel arch guard under the air filter and slightly aft of the filter (but before the fuel filter) I wanted it where I could still undo the lid to clean it which I can (just).

Brought my oil hose from pirtek, about $20 per meter they sell the 19mm for,
I used the original hose to run from the catch can outlet engine return and the pirtek hose for engine outlet to can inlet. Both fitted easy as, although I had to move the lid around so Inlet/outlet are on same side of can so the hose route wouldn't kink, no biggy.

I ended up with heaps of extra hose after I figured I could use the original as well, lol oh well,
Blocked the bottom drain off with a piece of scrap hose I had in the shed and fitted an irrigation valve on to that so I can drain it easy as.

You could get away with only needing to buy 1 meter of hose, stainless clamps from bunnings for a buck each.

Haven't actually driven anywhere yet so will report back when I've gone for a run up the coast.

Cheers

I have pics but can't attach because I'm on my bloody phone due to the site malware shitfight.

I stopped talking About fitting my small forefront catch can and spent yesterday morning getting it done, the biggest dilemma I was having was where was it going to fit (yd25 dual batts), there is literally zero room left in there.

So after plenty of dummy fitting I decided to bolt it on to the wheel arch guard under the air filter and slightly aft of the filter (but before the fuel filter) I wanted it where I could still undo the lid to clean it which I can (just).

Brought my oil hose from pirtek, about $20 per meter they sell the 19mm for,
I used the original hose to run from the catch can outlet engine return and the pirtek hose for engine outlet to can inlet. Both fitted easy as, although I had to move the lid around so Inlet/outlet are on same side of can so the hose route wouldn't kink, no biggy.

I ended up with heaps of extra hose after I figured I could use the original as well, lol oh well,
Blocked the bottom drain off with a piece of scrap hose I had in the shed and fitted an irrigation valve on to that so I can drain it easy as.

You could get away with only needing to buy 1 meter of hose, stainless clamps from bunnings for a buck each.

Haven't actually driven anywhere yet so will report back when I've gone for a run up the coast.

Cheers

I have pics but can't attach because I'm on my bloody phone due to the site malware shitfight.
Sounds like the same area I put mine. Haven't checked to see how much oil is in it yet, though I just put a bolt into the drain hole. I really need to change it for clear hose to see when it is getting oil in it...

Yeah it looks like a factory item except for the bright red pirtek hose going to the inlet, only colour they had In stock lol, it was the only place I could see to bolt it in that I could still remove the lid and be able to keep the hoses pretty short. Worked out well In the end.

There is seriously a lot of junk oil In the line and inlet when I pulled it off, considering removing my top mount and seeing how thick it is in there.

Checked my forefront can yesterday when doing oil change, been on there 5000ks now. Hardly 20mls in the bottom, the mesh was a little oily but didn't bother cleaning it. Was surprised by how little oil was in the bottom, it's working, I think the engine just isn't producing much crap.

Next task when I get home is top mount clean out and look at doing/paying for intake manifold clean. It's full of shit and junk.

ZD30 Catch Can

Hi all,
thought I'd put this scenario up for some experienced opinions.
I have fitted my 03 ST-R with a catch can and has the EGR butterfly mod done as well.
When the Can was fitted it was emptied at 1500klm almost without fail.
In the early days, each time it was emptied it had recovered about 50ml of oil.

However over time it has been recovering less oil at each emptying so that it is recovering 25/30ml at now 1750klm. I have decided to empty it at 2000klm intervals.

The can has proven to be highly effective with no oil traces getting to the can outlet hose and the turbo inlet hose is clean as.

Engine oil remains clean for a long time and the engine has been bullet proof to this day and pulls smooth and strong.

As of its routine 10000klm service last week it had done 360466 klm. Still completely original and everything hanging off it is too. It has been an extraordinary engine.

Anyone got any ideas as to why less oil is recovered in the Can over time?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back