How do you drive on average ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you drive on Average ?

• Like Krafty (Like Gran driving to church).

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Put the foot down when needed.

Votes: 90 78.3%
  • Loaded up all the time.

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Cops a flogging everytime I get in the drivers seat.

Votes: 9 7.8%

• Total voters
hey mate, you need to get off the 'pot' when you go out driving.

Nah, I'm yet to see proof that driving hard or fast is as beneficial as driving sedately and within the speed limit so therefore I'm happy to keep my pace. I also never have anywhere to be that is made easier or better by getting there 5 mins earlier.

Back when I was driving trucks and 5 mins meant a little extra sleep or knocking off early that was fair enough and in most cases I wasn't paying the running costs but when the bill is mine and times just not important I just can't see the need for it.

nah, i dont mean that you need to speed up, just we are led to believe you drive like an old moll.
I'm not one for hooning or fast/dangerous driving out on public roads, too much carnage as it is now, i save my hoon driving for the summernats or the 1/4 mile.

Last edited by a moderator:
How much of an old mole all depends on how others see things. I take off slowly, I drive under the limit and rarely go over 97kph even in 110 zones. If people want to drive faster and hard than me I'm fine with that but I refuse to sink the boot into it just to be first to the next red light or first to put my brakes on.

In a few weeks time when I tackle the Nullarbor again I will sit for 5 days at an average speed between 94 and 97 kph on the open road because I know sitting at 110 means so very little to such a long trip. But mainly because last time I did it and compared notes with other Nav drivers doing the same trip I spent something in the vicinity of $400-$500 less on fuel for the return trip than they did.

The granny thing has been an on going joke with Dave for a long time, just like the bowls hat on the dash but it compared to the way I see some drivers drive their D40's on the road around me I can't really deny that my driving is a lot more granny like than them.

No one takes any notice of Woody and he's only seen me drive twice.

In actual fact it was probably me that started it with comments about Miss Daisy getting out because I drive too slow but it's still true, and while your picking on my slow driving it means you aren't picking on all my other short comings :eviltongue:

Well Krafty, It makes sense, to save fuel n be safe.
I used to squirt around everywhere as a youngn. Heaps a fun, n heaps a trouble with the law. Wonder I'm not dead, many times.
I woke up n even bought bomb's so I couldn't go quick.
So I'm doin just under the limit n every 1 passn me, NO big deal! In fact, less stress n NO fines.
BUT I shouted myself a D40 Turbo diesel.
The temptation to squirt is BACK. Man it goes nice.
So,,,, my head say's steady, n the heart say's.....
Oh I work in road construction n maintenance and appreciate dealing with well mannered drivers.
So, my hat off to you. Keep up the good work. We may learn something from you.

Dave: I have thought of taking a pic or two but you know how it is when it comes to making an effort. How about I just say console is in, CB and DVD are mounted, Secondary power sources including USB from the aux battery are in and the tool/battery box to house everything in the tub has been finished and installed. Now you use your imagination for the images and how it looks.....good isn't it :big_smile:

jjohn: I'm not into teaching (hourly rate doubles for that), people only learn if they want too and very few will alter their driving habits just because I choose to drive economically but it's good to see some people actually appreciate such driving many just see it has a hold up to their important lives.

Hi Bullwinkle, You know there,s no speed limit out this way. Be lucky to see a cop car twice in a year out here
d22Dave, I've been pulled over on both of my last trips to Mildura, saw a car pulled over at 12.30 last night at that pub I work at, and then saw someone pulled over in Victoria Street this arvo by one of those marked Commo Sportswagons. Don't see any cars on the local roads, but the Western Freeway is littered with them. Bjut more than all that, I bloody hate handing over money to the State Government so they can waste it on some hair-brained scheme.

d22Dave, I've been pulled over on both of my last trips to Mildura, saw a car pulled over at 12.30 last night at that pub I work at, and then saw someone pulled over in Victoria Street this arvo by one of those marked Commo Sportswagons. Don't see any cars on the local roads, but the Western Freeway is littered with them. Bjut more than all that, I bloody hate handing over money to the State Government so they can waste it on some hair-brained scheme.

I looked in the mirror this arvo and thought i had canary up my a#s, It was a bright yellow highway car coming along skipton street, He rounded me up pretty quick dont think he liked sitting on 50 in a 70 zone:sarcastic:

I am only 22 this year but i reckon as i have aged haha i don't see the need to go flat out as much, when i first got my licence it was 120 every where, then you realise that speeding only gets you there a tiny bit quicker so i am happy now to sit on 100. But its not to say i don't open up the taps from time to time

So this week I thought Id keep the boost at 5psi cruising, so far its looking like I have gained 70-100km's out of the tank.

I am at about 950km's on this tank so far, will more then likely fill up tonight at some stage.

Easily got another 200km's left out the tank with a good safety margin of 100km's or so.

Not keen to prime the pump on the side of the road. Haha.

Anyone else drive by the boost gauge ?

Nah I drive by the rev counter.

Priming the pump is a PITA but running out of fuel less than 10m from the pump is just friggen annoying.

You can keep it at certain revs, but with the boost gauge. Its telling you how much boot you have in.

Let the accerator come back a mm or 2 and it will drop 5psi.

Latest posts

Back