Dual battery setup in 2012 D22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roswellj

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Forgive me if this question has been asked before but I tried searching and couldn't find the answer.
In a 2012 d22 is it a smart alternator or not. Basically I want to know when I'm setting up my dual battery system in the tray whether I need to go for a dc-dc charger or if I can get away with only using a isolator.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Not a smart alternator, most people that have run a second (or 3rd battery) just use an isolator. Do you have a single or dual battery from factory?

Dual battery from the factory but I reckon I'll run a third aux battery in the tub to run fridge and accessories. Dual cycle I have in mind won't fit under the bonnet.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

From what I know (which isn't much), if you're going to run one of those AGM deep cycle batteries, it still might be good to have dc/dc charger installed. The alternator won't fully charge these type of batteries because the output voltage isn't high enough.

Though this info is from someone who sells this stuff, so make of it what you will. Apparently they require about 14.8-9 volts to charge fully which helps extend the life of the battery.

Though I don't have one as I installed it before I knew any of this, only have a low voltage cutout to protect the battery from being run too flat. I can see where it is right though, no matter how long I have been driving with the alternator charging the aux battery, if I put the smart charger on it, it always takes a couple of hours or more in the 14.6-9 V range before it stops accepting current and is "full".

Latest posts

Back