fuel problem

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmb

Reaction score
Hi all new here bought my first Navara a few weeks ago and starting to have a problem with it .when l go to start it up for the first time of a morning it runs for about 30 seconds then cuts out .it will start again and then do the same thing was told it was the fuel filter so changed that with a new one but still doing it not sure what the next step can anybody help cheers peter:confused3:

Welcome to the forum.

There's a good chance your fuel system is leaking air. Normally on a diesel the sucked from the tank up to the filter and down to the fuel pump then pressurised and excess is returned to the tank via the fuel cooler. If the fuel hose is loose or damaged, if the primer bulb is cracked or damaged, or if the water alarm is not completely in place, air will enter the hose slowly overnight and allow the fuel to drain back to the tank. This means the car will start on the fuel it has in the filter, but once that's consumed it stalls.

It's easy to test. In the morning before trying to start the car, find the primer bulb (right next to the filter) and squeeze it. It should be dry. Keep your eye on the hoses and filter while you do this. Continue squeezing, count the squeezes. The bulb should go firm before your 6th squeeze. If you go further than that, chances are you've got an air leak. Keep squeezing, because once you pressurise that side of the fuel system, diesel will start to come out of the leak and you'll be able to fix it.

The water alarm sits in the bottom of the fuel filter and its electrical connection should line up with the black knob on the front. If it's not, just turn it until it is.

Had a similar problem and turned out to be the fuel primer bulb. Discovered that was the problem when I went to prime it after it stalled and found fuel on my hands after priming.

While I was waiting for the part to arrive I found that once started, giving it a quick rev would help re-prime the fuel system and it would generally keep going. If it stalled it would wind an wind and wind before starting again.

Could be the primer bulb itself which is very likely or perishing fuel lines (less likely). I'd start with the primer, if you keep priming it then you may have some fuel leak out of it. If it was happening before a fuel filter change, then it has to be something on the vehicle itself.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back