Go Back   The Navara Forum > General Discussions > Main Forum

HID kit In 2012 D40
Old 29-06-2018, 01:37 AM

Default HID kit In 2012 D40

Hey All,

Has anyone installed a HID kit for there high/low beam in a 2012 navara? If so are they worth getting? Ive heard there could be a problem with over heating and possibly melting the plastic of the head light, Is this true??

Cheers
Sponsored Links

Old 01-07-2018, 08:28 AM
Administrator

My Mood:
Garage

I don't know about overheating , but unless it's lensed properly (and it has to have washer and autoleveller installed to make it fully compliant) then it's illegal and you could get pinged for it.

And you'll annoy other motorists. I just came back on an evening ride and had to face two morons who had put HID globes in their headlights without lensing. It left me completely unable to see the road, so I flicked to my high beam - my bike has 2 headlights and 4 driving lights. I hope both of the idiots enjoyed the show.

Check out the FAQs by clicking here!

"Money can't buy happiness, but it does make misery a lot easier to deal with."

Old 01-07-2018, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

I have had them in my D22 and to be honest they are crap. No issues with melting lenses or anything, but crap light spread and as above annoy everyone else. There was a guy on this forum ages ago doing projector retrofits (unless it was the patrol forum), but they require putting the headlight in the oven to soften the glue and then glueing it back together. There is a place in the states that sells projector kits for h4 headlights, similar gear to the one I mentioned. From memory when I looked into them they were around $300 for the pair so I couldn't really justify it.

Still not legal, but a lot more usable than throwing a pair of eBay crap in the lights. You won't cop crap from the police either as they will look legit.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

Old 01-07-2018, 08:58 PM

The reflector lens is only suited for a H4 Halogen globe, anything else you are wasting your time and money.
You will loose projected light up to half the distance and spread is not much better.
Better off throwing in a pair of the Narva +120's and be happy with what you have.

2011 D22 2.5Cr. Fuel cap holder, bonnet scoop protection, Bonnet protector, Tint, Snorkel, tub liner, Tow bar, Bash plates, Sliders, Sus lift, DVD headrests, Idler Arm Brace, P Bull bar, Winch, Canopy, Dynapro ATM's, Alarm, Slim weather shields, EGR mod, +120's, 9' LED's, LED parkers, Seat covers, Variable intermittent wiper stalk, Dash mat, DVR mirror with reverse camera.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

This is the website I was thinking of. These are the ones I was looking at, but couldn't justify the cost.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bi...s-stage-3.html

If you want awesome lights though, this is the best way to do it. I should also say, they do a LHD and RHD version so just make sure if you go this way you select the correct projectors...

Last edited by bods; 01-07-2018 at 11:50 PM.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:47 PM

HiD adds large amounts of extra parts and complexity which adds to issues with lighting and electrical in a car
They have a ballast and ignitor, and a gas filled tube bulb, instead of a simple filament in halogen like a normal bulb
LED upgrades are the way to go if you want to fiddle with your headlights, but in reality unless you spend a looooot of money they're not really going to improve drivability
Its hard to compete with high end halogen lamps like the philips xtreme plus or the IPF fatboy 2
LED and HiD struggle to maintain good colour rendition and shadow depth and therefore add to driver fatigue
Philips ultinon LED H4 are not bad but the light colour is quite blue and harsh in my opinion

I think the concept of "headlight upgrade" sometimes overtakes the practical reality of which lights are really the best to use

Old 02-07-2018, 02:29 AM

Garage

has anyone fitted LED H4 globes. i have acquired a secondhand set with no instructions!

Old 02-07-2018, 10:39 AM
Administrator

My Mood:
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcs View Post
has anyone fitted LED H4 globes. i have acquired a secondhand set with no instructions!
I haven't, but you'd have to expect that if they're H4 replacement globes, then they should just fit straight in.

I'd be interested to see how they go in some of the newer cars. There's an issue with the way they manage power to the headlight globes.

The issue is that in the traditional H4 setup, you have a "U" arrangement of tabs that accept power. The left side of the "U" (as you're looking at the base of the bulb) is the "Common" which used to be connected to negative. The bottom of the U is low beam, and the right hand one is high beam. We'd tap into that right hand one for a positive feed to a relay for driving lights and it'd work.

In newer cars, that's not necessarily the case. The "Common" pin might be negative on low beam, but it switches to positive on high beam with the high beam pin changing to negative. I tried fitting a relay to one of these cars and ended up connecting pin 85 to common and 86 to high beam just to get the things to work!

Now this will make the LED thing interesting - because LED is a diode, it only accepts power one way. If you try to power it backwards, you could burn it out at worst - so I expect cheaper LED units to fail in the newer setups.

My advice with LED units: check how your headlights change from low to high beam and if they're on the "new" method, there's some advantage in either carefully purchasing LED globes, or using a pair of relays to change the "new" H4 back to the old H4.

And a word on LED emitters - if the actual light emitting element of the globes isn't in the same location as the tungsten filaments in the halogen globe, the light will be created in the wrong place and won't be focussed correctly to shine forward well enough. This will not only weaken the amount of light available to you, but could easily cause a great deal of glare for oncoming drivers.

And causing the driver of a car coming towards you to be unable to see ... not really very high on the clever scale.

Check out the FAQs by clicking here!

"Money can't buy happiness, but it does make misery a lot easier to deal with."

Old 02-07-2018, 04:32 AM

What do the plug adapters or connections look like
Better yet, brand and model

Old 02-07-2018, 11:51 AM

Garage

they were taken out of a little Jap car, so have no info on them!