Go Back   The Navara Forum > D40 > D40 General Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

D40 issue, plenty of power, just smoking when pressing the go pedal!
  #1  
Old 27-06-2018, 06:39 AM
discosrule discosrule is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 7
Default D40 issue, plenty of power, just smoking when pressing the go pedal!

Hi All,

Wondering if you can help with a 2012 D40 (200,000kms) that is blowing black smoke on fast acceleration, it has plenty of power and not showing any other symptoms.

Things done/replaced over the past 2-months (no particular order);
- MAF cleaned.
- Vacuum hoses all checked.
- Injectors replaced.
- Suction Control Value replaced.
- Diesel filter and air filter replaced.
- Inlet manifold cleaned.
- EGR blanked.

Any ideas?

Thx
discosrule.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 28-06-2018, 11:59 AM
Old.Tony's Avatar
Old.Tony Old.Tony is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mid Coast Region, NSW, Australia
Posts: 14,915
My Mood:
Garage
Default

I'd check boost pressures. At 200,000km there's a chance your turbo is stalling (bearings starting to loosen up) or its control gear.

Electric control (actuators) were replaced by Nissan under either a recall or warranty, vacuum ones are painful and consist of several linked components. The usual failure points are the hoses themselves (3m of 3mm vac hose and replace the lot) or the Boost Control Solenoid (BCS) which is located on the intercooler feed pipe near the alternator and has three vac hoses connected to it as well as an electrical connector. The BCS is a common failure, I've had 3 in total and now use a Tilix valve instead.

Your car speaks OBD-2 (EOBD). Grab an ELM327-compliant bluetooth dongle, get the Torque app for Android on your phone and add a boost gauge. It should show boost punching up over 18psi when pushed hard. If the BCS has failed you won't see this. An alternative method of diagnosing a failing BCS is to disconnect the vac hose that comes over from the right hand side of the motor and attach this directly to the turbocharger. Do NOT push the car hard because a small amount of throttle will pull the actuator to fully open and bring the turbocharger up to max speed very quickly (it will overboost and you may pop one of the charge air hoses, I popped the one that attaches to the intake manifold).
__________________

Check out the FAQs by clicking here!



"Money can't buy happiness, but it does make misery a lot easier to deal with."
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 30-06-2018, 01:28 AM
rsgooch rsgooch is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Gold Coast, Qld
Posts: 119
My Mood:
Garage
Default

Tony check your catch can see if bypassing it makes any difference.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 30-06-2018, 03:50 AM
discosrule discosrule is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 7
Default

Thx Tony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old.Tony View Post
Electric control (actuators) were replaced by Nissan under either a recall or warranty, vacuum ones are painful and consist of several linked components. The usual failure points are the hoses themselves (3m of 3mm vac hose and replace the lot) or the Boost Control Solenoid (BCS) which is located on the intercooler feed pipe near the alternator and has three vac hoses connected to it as well as an electrical connector. The BCS is a common failure, I've had 3 in total and now use a Tilix valve instead..
BCS was replaced a year ago I believe, but will check, boost seems fine though, see below.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Old.Tony View Post
Your car speaks OBD-2 (EOBD). Grab an ELM327-compliant bluetooth dongle, get the Torque app for Android on your phone and add a boost gauge. It should show boost punching up over 18psi when pushed hard. If the BCS has failed you won't see this. An alternative method of diagnosing a failing BCS is to disconnect the vac hose that comes over from the right hand side of the motor and attach this directly to the turbocharger. Do NOT push the car hard because a small amount of throttle will pull the actuator to fully open and bring the turbocharger up to max speed very quickly (it will overboost and you may pop one of the charge air hoses, I popped the one that attaches to the intake manifold).
Ran that app and it was peaking about 18/19psi when driving hard.

As mentioned I’m not noticing any loss of power, just has a brief puff of smoke when you accelerate hard. Enough that someone has reported it to the EPA once already

-- update --
Here is a chart of turbo boost, just click on the legend to disable/enable the axis you want to see.

https://cloud.highcharts.com/show/HygoFgHfQ

thx

Last edited by discosrule; 30-06-2018 at 01:44 PM. Reason: added chart
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 01-07-2018, 08:41 AM
Old.Tony's Avatar
Old.Tony Old.Tony is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mid Coast Region, NSW, Australia
Posts: 14,915
My Mood:
Garage
Default

I don't think your turbo is boosting quickly enough. At point 39 on the graph, for instance, your engine load is 90%, RPM is 4269 (high!) and boost pressure is just 13.3psi. Yes, you're getting peaks of 18-19psi, but it's taking an awful lot to get there. Even with my Tilix valve dampened to reduce boost, I'm getting 18psi below 2,000rpm. Your engine should be able to reach full boost at 1,800rpm where it's supposed to reach its peak torque.

The vacuum operated BCS is garbage. I hate the bloody thing. If you have a mate with one of these cars, borrow his BCS and see if that makes a difference - if it does, I recommend considering a Dawes or a Tilix valve to replace the BCS. You won't get the ECU trying to control the boost, so there might be occasions when your boost levels don't go the way you might be used to, but it will not fail on you. You can adjust the Tilix valve to come on a little quicker (if you get the secondary valve kit, it's only a tiny bit more $ for it) and you can adjust the peak boost.

A small puff of black smoke on takeoff isn't ordinarily a concern - diesels do it. But if it's significant, then your turbo is probably not getting up to speed quickly enough. Usually that's BCS, but sometimes (it has for me) it's the turbo itself.

FWIW, I'm on turbo #4, 300,000km on the clock. Turbo #3 was NOT bad, it was misdiagnosed as bad, so it's now a "good spare". But the original let go its bearings, and so did the second one I bought.
__________________

Check out the FAQs by clicking here!



"Money can't buy happiness, but it does make misery a lot easier to deal with."
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 01-07-2018, 09:41 AM
tweak'e's Avatar
tweak'e tweak'e is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 4,484
Garage
Default

i would check for a boost leak.

also reset the fuel learning, especially if you have changed the fuel filter.
__________________
D22 ZD30 egr+butterfly mod, 2" lift extra leaf springs, enk-tek dump pipe, 2.5" exhaust.
D23 no mods.......yet.
single cab workhorse, to muddy to clean
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 02-07-2018, 07:44 AM
discosrule discosrule is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 7
Default

> BCS

I will investigate a bit more, might pull it out and see if it is working but at idle I can see the boost lever on the turbo moving up and down slowly.

> reset the fuel learning

done multiple times.



I was just looking at the vacuum hose drawings in the manual and noticed that there are two lines [red square] going from the left to right side, see manual pic below, mine seems to have just the one, is this normal? (will upload photos of engine bay later)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-07-02 16_41_13-Navara Vacuum Hose Drawing.pdf - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	22436  
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 02-07-2018, 10:44 AM
Old.Tony's Avatar
Old.Tony Old.Tony is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mid Coast Region, NSW, Australia
Posts: 14,915
My Mood:
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by discosrule View Post
> BCS

I will investigate a bit more, might pull it out and see if it is working but at idle I can see the boost lever on the turbo moving up and down slowly.

> reset the fuel learning

done multiple times.



I was just looking at the vacuum hose drawings in the manual and noticed that there are two lines [red square] going from the left to right side, see manual pic below, mine seems to have just the one, is this normal? (will upload photos of engine bay later)
Mine only had one hose too. The little 'Y' junction on the air intake where one of the hoses from the BCS connects along with the second (upper) hose in that drawing had a blanking plug on mine.
__________________

Check out the FAQs by clicking here!



"Money can't buy happiness, but it does make misery a lot easier to deal with."
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 02-07-2018, 10:46 AM
discosrule discosrule is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old.Tony View Post
Mine only had one hose too. The little 'Y' junction on the air intake where one of the hoses from the BCS connects along with the second (upper) hose in that drawing had a blanking plug on mine.
Ok, thought it looked ok because of the blanking plug.
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 02-07-2018, 10:58 AM
discosrule discosrule is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old.Tony View Post
An alternative method of diagnosing a failing BCS is to disconnect the vac hose that comes over from the right hand side of the motor and attach this directly to the turbocharger. Do NOT push the car hard because a small amount of throttle will pull the actuator to fully open and bring the turbocharger up to max speed very quickly (it will overboost and you may pop one of the charge air hoses, I popped the one that attaches to the intake manifold).
Just going to test this, see attached diagram, red line, is this what you mean for me to try? Just bypass completely.

Might even pull the BCS out follow the instructions in the manual to double check if it has failed, by applying 12v and checking if Air goes thru each port correctly. Doubt this is the problem though as I can see the Turbocharger Boost Control Actuator moving freely when the car is at idle.



Will also replace the vacuum lines. Any easy way to test after that for leaks? Soapy water/vacuum gauge?
And if all that fails, any tests to tell if the turbo is having issues?

Thx.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F4BF4C4C-9DEF-4DB1-9868-E632046E31C1.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	22437  

Last edited by discosrule; 02-07-2018 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Typo.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:02 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
| Home | Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Today's Posts | Search | New Posts |