Go Back   The Navara Forum > D40 > D40 Engine

Old 08-11-2018, 10:35 AM

I wrapped some tape around the primer bulb as I needed to drive tonight and need to ggo to work early tomorrow. It started much better, but with a couple of hiccups just after starting, I’m putting the stutters down to a failing primer, or still some air in the system from the work. Then it ran without misfiring at all which was a nice change.

On to the next problem now which is that it seems to be well down on power in the mid range revs where the turbo would normally kick in. Seemed to be blowing a bit of smoke when it felt under power too. I’m guessing turbo related, not boosting early enough in the rev range so I’ll do some more reading tonight on similar issues and try more repairs soon. At least it is driveable for now though.
Sponsored Links

Old 08-11-2018, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

At least it's still drivable... I can't remember if 07 is a vacuum or electronic boost actuator, but if it is vacuum controlled it could be the control hoses perishing from old age.

Hopefully you get it sorted for good...

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

Old 08-11-2018, 07:50 PM

Thanks bods I’ll be checking the vacuum hoses. It is quite possible something was disslodged during the repair work. The hard part (for me at least) will be working out what hoses do what there are so many in there.

Old 09-11-2018, 12:30 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcs View Post
take the cover off the top of the engine and check all your boost hoses that come and go from the BCS and the turbo actuator. you can also take the pipe off that goes from the BCS to the turbo turbo actuator at the BCS end, and suck on that hose. you should see the actuator arm rise and fall.
i had very similar problems, and it turned out to be perished boost hoses on the drivers side under the plastic cover!

same symptoms as mine had, did you get around to checking what I suggested at the beginning of your thread?

Old 09-11-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcs View Post
same symptoms as mine had, did you get around to checking what I suggested at the beginning of your thread?
Well I hadnít before, as the boost seemed to be working well. Now Iím going to have to though.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:55 AM

Garage

Strangely, mine also showed some boost, also smoked more, flat acceleration and was noticeably louder through the exhaust, probably because the turbo vanes were open at low revs, hence the slow spooling of the turbo

http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=35145&page=2

Old 10-11-2018, 12:56 AM

Boost is back! After reading ericcs thread above I looked in the same loctuon as the photo there and found I’d dislodged a vacuum hose while mucking around with the SCV or fuel primer bulb. Popped it back on and a short test drive brought back the turbo boost smile. Some of the hoses are a bit perished so might need to replace them soon.

Still need to replace the fuel primer as it seems to drain out fuel overnight making it hard to start in the morning. The one I ordered locally turned out to be wrong, so internet delivery pending.

Last edited by GunMentalGrey; 10-11-2018 at 01:00 AM.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:05 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMentalGrey View Post
Boost is back! After reading ericcs thread above I looked in the same loctuon as the photo there and found Iíd dislodged a vacuum hose while mucking around with the SCV or fuel primer bulb. Popped it back on and a short test drive brought back the turbo boost smile. Some of the hoses are a bit perished so might need to replace them soon.

Still need to replace the fuel primer as it seems to drain out fuel overnight making it hard to start in the morning. The one I ordered locally turned out to be wrong, so internet delivery pending.

good to see half the problem is solved. make sure you buy 4mm vacuum hose, from memory, i think i bought 4m?

Old 11-11-2018, 11:26 AM
Administrator

My Mood:
Garage

D40 uses about 3m (with a little to spare) of 3mm hose ($15 at Supercheap).

Check out the FAQs by clicking here!

"Money can't buy happiness, but it does make misery a lot easier to deal with."

Old 13-11-2018, 03:09 AM

I hope the primer bulb arrives soon. Not fun trying to drive it at the moment. Once going it seems to keep going, but get a red light or stop sign and it’ll idle fine until you go to take off and then cough and splutter and misfire, stall or just not rev until you I get up to speed again.

Any other possible issues I could be looking at. To me it seems to be a fuel problem, like it isn’t getting enough on starting. I’m hoping it’s just the primer bulb allowing air in.

Last edited by GunMentalGrey; 13-11-2018 at 12:32 PM.