h4 led headlights

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macnav05

Reaction score
Ive been looking around for decent headlights and came across some h4 led lights . I gave the fella a call to see what the story was and he said they come with a plug and play kit no muckin about . He is in N.Q and wasn't sure about legality here in VIC . MY question is does anyone know anything about them ??:beer:

Not actually led ( my stuff up ) but a cree light instead . I would still like to find out more before I spend 150$ of the hard earned .

Like these? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CREE-50W...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cd5b0d552

Id be interested to see what they are like, might chuck a pair in my bike just for the lower current draw ( lights hardwired to ignition).
They come with a fan - how much heat do they generate?? Must be less than a conventional bulb at 25w and more Lumen (on paper) than a bulb. Where is the heat generated?
And how do they switch from low to high? Two separate LED chips? Or a stepper motor that moves the chips from one focus point to the other?

Not adr approved. Someone did a comparo of halogen vs cree in a headlights a while ago on here, search the forum or google. Yeah they give off bulk light but the light isnt thrown as far away as a halogen meaning awesome visibility up close but poor visibility any further than 20-30m. Just play it safe and buy an LED lightbar and use that as an addition to your halogen lights

I came across a comparo on cree vs halogen lights and yeah it seems they aren't quite as good as what I had hoped ( monster lights .com ). They did a fairly good test from what I can see and weren't trying to flog off any of their own stuff . They have so much info on other brands it hurts my head so maybe check it out . okydoky cheerio :peace:

LED Technology has come a long way but its still got a bit further to go before H4 replacement units are working as well as an incandescant globe.
until they actually get the light output to be higher for less wattage than a normal globe then the colour is your only advantage.
Also there is the legallity side,they arent essentially illegal but at the same time try telling a cop its LED not HID and HID is most definately illegal

I thought LEDs were supposed to inherently be like 5x more efficient than halogen? Maybe its more that they dont work so good in a mirror that was designed for a halogen bulb?
Oh well, might give them a miss then.

They are way way more efficient that halogen. The standard incandescant globe is approx 95% heat and 5% light.LED is about 75% light so way less power is required for the light output.
As you say its reflecting LED thats the issue and focus.

The heat issue. LED lights are about 60% heat compared to halogen being above 90%.
The heat source of a halogen globe is at the filament. Their is an air gap of 2 - 3 cm between this burny hot bit and the plastic reflector of the headlight. Air is a really good insulator.
An led light has a lot less heat at the light source. The heat is at the base of the 'globe', it needs a good heat sink to remove it. If the heat sink/cooling system is not effective, heat will spread through the chromed plastic reflector, and may eventually warp or discolour it.
A discolored reflector is not as effective as a bright shiny one.

As above - LED isn't as good yet.

Getting really, really specific about why: LEDs are flat squares or flat circles. They aren't thin coils of wire a few mm long and a fraction of a mm across. The reflectors are designed for the thin wire coils, so that light is reflected perfectly forward from that exact source.

LEDs cover that source area and then some extra. It's the extra that causes both parts of the problem.

1) For the area where the halogen bulb filament is, the LED light source may not put out as much light. Its total output (which includes that area which is only a small part of the total light emitting surface of the LED H4 bulb) is probably greater, but the light output where it really matters isn't "much greater". This leads to less light where you actually want it with LEDs.

2) Because the majority of the light emitting surface of the LED is outside the expected area, it strikes the reflector at the wrong angles and basically just goes everywhere. It's the same as HID except it doesn't look like someone's arc welding in your headlights. It's still a blindingly bright scattered light.

I have NORMAL (stock, factory) globes in my car (both IPF Fatboys have perished now, the bloody things just didn't last what I expected $160 globes to last). I have a pair of 100W halogen driving lights, a single 10-CREE LED lightbar (120W, 10320 lumens) and a pair of 4-CREE LED lightbars (40W, 3340 lumens each). When we're on the highway late at night towing we want to see ... so I turn on the light bar. I don't need anything else.

Do yourself a favour - get the lightbar. Sunyee in Vic sells them nice and cheap on eBay and they actually bloody work a treat!

Latest posts

Back