Need a little help on D40 Oil

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aydan89

Reaction score
Gday first time posting. Im just a little conflicted about the oil requirments for my Navara. Ive got a 2007 Auto Nissan Navara with the DPF fitted. So I know Nissan recomend 5w30 but you can also use 15w40. I couldnt get any 15w40 that was suited for a vehicle fitted with a DPF and 5w30 is ridiculously expensive. The folks at Supercheap where i live remomened 5w40 Castrol Magnatec (It is suitable for DPF) So what does everyone think, will this be ok. Any help or advice would be good.

Thanks

Last edited:
Is removing the DPF just a simple pull out and replace with pipe. Any computer issues with removing it?

No mate, it's not. Best way is buy dedicated DPF delete pipe. Sometimes the sensors have to be re calibrated to.

The good side- without the DPF a low ash oil is not required. Exhaust gas temps are lower. There can be performance and or fuel economy gains.

The bad side- the delete pipes are expensive. Bit of black smoke out the back on take off as the TD25 is a sooty engine. It's illegal to remove it although lots do without drama.

The oil viscosity rating changes depending on where ambient temperature is of the climate you drive the vehicle in. Its the same for my D22 you can use 15W-40 in hotter climates tropical climates like the majority of aus, but you need thinner oil (IE 5w-30 or 10w-40) in colder climates.

There is a little bar graph in my owners handbook with what oil viscosity to use based on the ambient climate temps, not sure if it is provided in the D40 hand book.

The reason why the 5W30 DPF-friendly oil is expensive is because it's so bloody good. It's synthetic - it is superior protection and ultra-low ash.

You don't have to worry about the ash content if you remove the DPF (illegal) or fit a decent catch can and keep it as empty as possible (legal).

If you're considering removing the DPF, talk to Auggie here about new sensors.

Latest posts

Back