Fuel Additives, Flushes, Cure Alls..

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horatius

Misanthrope
Reaction score
For the more sceptical members, is anyone aware of anything (beyond anecdote) or research or submitted papers that would indicate that retail diesel fuel additives/flushes in general do what they claim (ie. clean dirty injectors)?

There are a few youtube claims superficial enough to be unconvincing (if not intentionally deceptive), the only genuine and thorough research I could find (where they do a before and after removal and thorough check of injector operation) on fuel additives in general conclude they simply have no effect. The EPA (in US) claims that none they have tried had any effect on fuel economy.

I have heard counter claims that flushes/additives are a preventative measure and will only keep your fuel system in good health if it’s ok to begin with. Which seems another way of saying it fixes things providing there is nothing wrong lol.

I notice that many boost the cetane rating which could make the engine smoother and help combustion for a while, giving the impression of working (temporarily). But if the injectors re blocked and the immense pressure in the fuel system isn't affecting it, running diesel with a bit of solvent for a while probably isn't going to do much, and this could be indicative of bigger problems anyway IMO. Wear in old injectors seems far more likely than blockage. I note the RACQ warns that such products could potentially cause problems by freeing crud in fuel lines which could damage the fuel system components.

I did find one "technical bulletin" from a company that many people swear by and can only conclude they have a non standard usage of that term, as it was simply the usual vague and unsupported claims lacking any indication of being based on science or genuine research and followed by this...

"Our information is based on thorough research and may be considered reliable, though not legally binding."

Sounds about as convincing as the supposed clinically proven claims regarding popular wrinkle creams.

I used to think that it doesn't matter, because while it probably doesn’t help it probably isn't going to hurt anything either. Until I read a study of popular fuel additives in the US as to their effects re lubricity. I was particularly interested in whether 2 stroke mineral oil had an effect (the brand they used was considered neutral- no effect). Some products did increase lubricity significantly, some were neutral, but many of the popular products people buy in good faith thinking they are doing the right thing, had a marked negative effect on the fuel system by increasing wear significantly.

“Anecdotally” I have seen plenty of cars go over 500 thou and while they have had a few problems along the way, they have had no fuel system problems at all, and no fuel system maintenance other than filter changes. Could simply be luck of course.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back