Safari snorkel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4x4 fun

Reaction score
Hey guys just after some advice as currently a bit confused. I got a safari snorkel installed in my 2014 D40 and have now noticed that my fuel economy has gotten worse by about 60km per tank, just wondering what may be causing this as I though the snorkel would have nothing to do with fuel economy.

Cheers

If anything the snorkel would improve economy by a small amount, because by taking air from outside the engine bay, the air is cooler and thus more dense - it's like turning up the turbocharger output by a small percentage.

It's unlikely to be aerodynamic drag, and if installed correctly it won't be a restriction issue because the snorkel and the air path into the airbox is much larger than the apertures in the air filter (specifically, the bends that you can see on the outside heading to the bottom of the box where the baffles are). However, if you suspect it's starving a little, it would pay to inspect the air path - easy to do with an inspection camera.

If not the air restriction, it could be a variation in any of the following: local air pressure, humidity, fuel quality (especially noticeable after a tanker has delivered and "stirred the tanks"), even a slight change in temperament - I notice I'm a little heavier on the foot if I have to get somewhere in a hurry.

Thanks for the quick reply, I might give the guys that Installed it for me a call and run it past them as nothing has changed except installing the snorkel. I have now run 3 tanks of fuel with the same results

Last edited:
Ok just an update, I just spoke to opposite lock which fitted the snorkel and they find it strange so will drop the car off next week so they can double check it all. I will update with the outcome.

Latest posts

Back