petrol to diesel wiring questions ? / Mechanical injection wiring

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitey86

Reaction score
Hi All
I am about to start doing a diesel conversion in my D21
It currently has a Z24 carby and i am putting a TD27T in

What i want to know is given that the TD27T is a Mechanical injection is there a way i can get the motor to run by bypassing the main wiring loom ???.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Mechanical injection diesel do not require any elec systems once they are running ????

Any help appreciated

Main loom in a Z24 is pretty simple, not a lot to it anyway.

There is likely to be a control box for the glow plugs somewhere, that connects to a temp gauge and runs them for 30s (I think) if the water temp is too low.

Just had a look at the TD27T I've got sitting here in the shed, and there are a number of cables hanging off the injection pump. One from the front of the timing case, which I think is for the tacho??? Won't work with the Z24 tacho. Either swap dashes out or live without a tacho :)
There is a fuel cutoff solenoid - I assume this can be connected to a convenient 'On/start' supply somewhere.
There is also a potentiometer on the top of the pump.

As well as the glow plug control unit, I think there's meant to be an EGR control unit that has three inputs - Water temp sensor (there are three near the thermostat housing - it's one of those, maybe the front one), tacho sensor in the timing case, and the potentiometer. All it seems to control is the EGR solenoids. I'm thinking that if you remove the EGR, you can probably ignore the potentiometer and the front temp sensor.

If I can get the old scanner going, I'll try and throw up a few diagrams. Looks like if you don't care aboout the tacho, lots of problems go away.

Try these out, should help you work out what you need to do.

Attachments

• TD27T EC.pdf
    198.4 KB · Views: 131
  • TD27T EC 2.pdf
    180.4 KB · Views: 142
  • TD27T EC 1.pdf
    198.5 KB · Views: 143
  • TD27T EC 3.pdf
    225.3 KB · Views: 142
Thx Pinelli
So after reading that and going back over some of my old mechanical TAFE books it looks like if i remove the EGR valve then the potentiometer is of no use.
And if i run a after market Tacho , which is already being used for the Z24 then it will fix most of my problems.

Do you know if any of the above will effect the Auto box ??
Also if I'm correct I should be able to use my old speedo/odometer if i use the pick up that is on the new gear box ???

Thx

Where does the tacho pick up its feed on the Z? If its the distributor, won't be much use with the TD27 :)

Dunno about the speedo. I would expect so. I'm replacing the gearbox (manual -> auto too), but I'm going to use the new dash. You will want a glow plug light, and warning light for the auto oil temp somewhere.

I don't really know the TD27T well, but from the diagram, it only seems ot be used for the tacho, perhaps Dion or Dave will pop along and let us know there opinion.

Yea its a big job but i plan on keeping the truck for a very long time , and i want to do one engine upgrade only and not need to touch it again.

Also there is a plan to do a trip from WA across to Tassie and back , so the motor needs to be reliable.

Latest posts

Back