Go Back   The Navara Forum > D22 > D22 Suspension & Steering

Raw suspension
Old 23-06-2015, 12:55 AM

My Mood:
Default Raw suspension

Hi all
I'm looking at upgrading my suspension on my D22 and found this.

http://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/prod...avara/d22.html

Haven't heard much about Raw set ups. It seems Like a good price.

What are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links

Old 23-06-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 d22 View Post
Hi all
I'm looking at upgrading my suspension on my D22 and found this.

http://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/prod...avara/d22.html

Haven't heard much about Raw set ups. It seems Like a good price.

What are your thoughts?
Mate I've just bought that kit from them, it's sitting on my garage floor right now... Will install it in the next couple weeks. I too hadn't heard much about them, especially on this forum. Guys on here have found a few brands and setups that have been found to work well and most people asking about suspension tend to go with a known option, which is fair enough.
I was curious though about this kit for the price, especially since it includes heavy duty torsion bars (which I'll need for the bullbar, winch and spotties going on soon). So I did a fair bit of googling and on a bunch of other forums I've found people giving them a pretty good wrap. Sure there's the usual few people saying they're a heap of junk (as I've found even when researching popular brands) but i'd say at least 80-90% recommend them.
They've got a typical 2 year (or 150,000k) warranty so if anything goes wrong they'll go back but I was happy to give them a go in the end.
This might not help you now though as I'm not sure how long that price will run for and I won't be fitting them for a few weeks to be able to give first hand feed back.

Old 23-06-2015, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Powerdown, who make these parts, make quite a lot of truck shockies and have been around for years. I have the constant load springs in the rear of mine and they seem ok to me for now. Brought the rear up around 3 inches from what it was with the saggy stock springs. Didn't bother changing the torsion bars as my stock ones are fine. Replaced shockies with a different brand before fitting the springs so I may give their shockies a go when these ones die...

Old 24-06-2015, 12:49 AM

My Mood:

Thanks guys.
I'm on stock springs and shocks at the moment so I'm assuming anything would be better than that.
For that price I thing I might give it a go.

Old 24-06-2015, 12:51 AM

Garage

That is cheap. Would be way better then the standard crap

Old 24-06-2015, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 d22 View Post
Thanks guys.
I'm on stock springs and shocks at the moment so I'm assuming anything would be better than that.
For that price I thing I might give it a go.
Yeah, I'm on stock stuff as well in a 2009 model so am keen to get these in. I have noticed just by looking at the raw shocks compared to the stockers that the raw ones look a bit meatier which is good and the springs look well put together the only thing they don't give you is new front pins for the springs. I've read that some people have had issues with getting the old stock pins out to reuse them and have had to cut the pins and get new greasable ones.
Also the price on the website doesn't include shipping. I picked it up from the store in brendale QLD but they still charged a small shipping fee to get it to their store cause they order each kit in from powerdown as needed, they don't keep stock as far as I could tell. Still at just under $900 total its still a great price.

Old 24-06-2015, 03:27 AM

Hey guys, I'm on raw shocks and leafs at the moment. Cost me $700 and I installed them myself. So far so good. Only been in for a couple thousand ks though. Can't see to much going wrong with them. I also purchased greasable pins and shackles and poly bushings for $200. All off ebay

Old 24-06-2015, 05:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradm84 View Post
Yeah, I'm on stock stuff as well in a 2009 model so am keen to get these in. I have noticed just by looking at the raw shocks compared to the stockers that the raw ones look a bit meatier which is good and the springs look well put together the only thing they don't give you is new front pins for the springs. I've read that some people have had issues with getting the old stock pins out to reuse them and have had to cut the pins and get new greasable ones.
Also the price on the website doesn't include shipping. I picked it up from the store in brendale QLD but they still charged a small shipping fee to get it to their store cause they order each kit in from powerdown as needed, they don't keep stock as far as I could tell. Still at just under $900 total its still a great price.
You can get greasable front eye pins. I wouldn't recommend fitting poly bushes without greasable pins as you need to keep them greased. I didn't have any trouble getting the old ones out of mine. Had to use a sledgy on the spanner though lol. Mine's a 2010 with about 65k km on it. Took about 2 hours all up changing the springs over.

Old 24-06-2015, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bods View Post
You can get greasable front eye pins. I wouldn't recommend fitting poly bushes without greasable pins as you need to keep them greased. I didn't have any trouble getting the old ones out of mine. Had to use a sledgy on the spanner though lol. Mine's a 2010 with about 65k km on it. Took about 2 hours all up changing the springs over.
About greasable pins, just wondering how they keep the bushes greased up. In the bush kit for the front eyes there are crush tubes in there which I assume are installed into the bushes and then the pin slides through that. If you pump grease into the pin once installed all it would do is coat the surface between the pin and the crush tube and would not get any on the bush... Or do you not use the crush tube? I noticed the greasable shackles that come with the kit don't come with crush tubes, nor does the bush kit for the shackles so the re greasing up of the shackles makes more sense to me.
Also, have always wondered is it only the inner surface that needs re greasing over time? Cause it seems greasable shackles and pins only would allow new grease to get to the inner part of the bush not the outside surfaces... Maybe I'm not understanding how the bushes in shackles and pins work/move in relation to the springs...

Old 24-06-2015, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradm84 View Post
About greasable pins, just wondering how they keep the bushes greased up. In the bush kit for the front eyes there are crush tubes in there which I assume are installed into the bushes and then the pin slides through that. If you pump grease into the pin once installed all it would do is coat the surface between the pin and the crush tube and would not get any on the bush... Or do you not use the crush tube? I noticed the greasable shackles that come with the kit don't come with crush tubes, nor does the bush kit for the shackles so the re greasing up of the shackles makes more sense to me.
Also, have always wondered is it only the inner surface that needs re greasing over time? Cause it seems greasable shackles and pins only would allow new grease to get to the inner part of the bush not the outside surfaces... Maybe I'm not understanding how the bushes in shackles and pins work/move in relation to the springs...
You are correct with the crush tubes, however you also need to lubricate the edges of the bush that sit in the eye of the spring. Greasable pins let you do this. With the shackle end, the inner part where the shackle pin runs through and the edges of the bush between the spring and shackle are the only parts that move, so they require lubrication too. Filling grease through the pin forces it out the edges too