Wheel alignment recommendations

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebigbopper

Reaction score
Hi all.
I have recently bought an “06 D22 ST-R dual cab. 300k’s.
I have re-done the entire front end in the last few weeks including new tyres.
Despite having a couple of wheel alignments by the tyre place and them assuring me everything is to ‘spec’ it still pulled to the left.
I have now done all ball joints, idler arm including support bracket, drag link bar, all tie rod ends and drive shafts. Nolathane bushes are fine and the bearings are now adjusted up.
Before I do any more road km’s I want to get the alignment right.
Can anybody recommend someone who knows their stuff in the Dandenong area?

Hi bigbopper, if you can get the wheel alignment so that it doesn't pull to the kerb, you are doing extremely well.

The castor on the D22 is very aggressive. I haven't found any tyre places that can get it right yet. It doesn't seem to affect tyre wear on mine though.

The independent suspension on the front does affect tyre wear on mine though, both front tyres wear on the outside - but I tow significant weight with it everyday.

Go to another shop mate. A reputable shop will tell you what is worn and what needs replacing.
You shouldn't be pulling to the left at all, depending on the camber of the road of course.
Mine drives in a straight line, no issues.

I live in SA so i cant recommend a shop near you but
All tyre places arent equal, some have much better equipment and technology than others

The places that give you a printout with all the adjustments and measurements from the front end are the go

They have the more advanced type of machine to perform the alignment

I have a lifted d40 so it is quite tricky to get the camber right with the wheels aligned. Theres only two tyre joints around here that are capable of getting it right

I use a jack, spirit level and a stringline and do it myself lol. That's the only way I could stop it veering to the left (got rid of a slight shudder at highway speeds too). A bit of a pita to do, but ah well.

If the wheels are aligned directly straight the car will always veer left, due to the camber of the road (which can be more aggressive on some roads compared to others) afaik and usually the alignment has to account for this. At least that's what I did and the steering is nice now, very light, tracks straight and the steering wheel is exactly where it should be.

I did hear from someone who claims to have plenty of experience doing wheel alignments, that the normal quickie "get 'em in, get 'em out" cheap wheel alignment places only do the toe in/out. So you either have to ask to check the camber or go to a place that does this normally. The cost is much higher though, apparently a lot more work and time required for this.

I did hear from someone who claims to have plenty of experience doing wheel alignments, that the normal quickie "get 'em in, get 'em out" cheap wheel alignment places only do the toe in/out. So you either have to ask to check the camber or go to a place that does this normally. The cost is much higher though, apparently a lot more work and time required for this.

The guy doing the job at one of the places I went to spent FOREVER trying to get it right. And I do mean FOREVER! He worked on it & test drove it over & over again. He had several other guys in the workshop trying to help him, including the boss. In the end, I called time on it, as they were getting nowhere. They were definitely checking camber, as have others I've been to. In the end they didn't charge me, as they couldn't get it right. They were actually very apologetic that they couldn't get it right. This was not a small business.

At some stage after the above, I drove the front of the Ute off a ledge in the scrub & ended up with the car resting on the side steps. The recovery was piss easy, put it in 4L & reverse out. total damage = 1 bent side step. But I was a bit panicky & took it to a well known tyre/suspension joint to get it checked over. They checked everything under the car & all good! But it was as funny as, watching them trying to align the front wheels afterwards! They had the same issues as the guy above, but were convinced it was caused by me dropping the front end onto it's guts! I took the car up from Adelaide to Mataranka afterwards & drove it down through the Savannah Way through Roper Bar, Lorella springs, Borroloola, Hells Gate, Doomadgee, Burketown & home to Adelaide via Winton, Longreach etc. Have driven it all over the place since & it still drives like the day I picked it up new from the dealer.

This one's also been driven along the Birdsville Track, the Dowling Track, That horrible Silver City Hwy when it was still gravel, the Warri Gate Rd, Cameron Corner, Innamincka, through the Flinders Ranges a few times, and lots of other places I've forgotten.

They are simply a very hard car to do a wheel alignment on lol!

Latest posts

Back