she went bang bang and stopped

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lmfao

i was thinking along the lines of what bluenavara did to his, told the kid we should turn it into a monster truck, his eyes lit up,

wifes eyes however rolled haha

mmmmmmmmmm wonder what would blow up next with 350 horsepower...........

You could always put a duramax in there. You might have to make the engine bay a bit wider though haha

Grab 4 Arctic flares and mount 'em, you'll need them for the next (vital) upgrade ...

Rip both front and rear diffs out, install Nissan Titan diffs. The stock diffs won't withstand that much power. The Titan is wider than the Navara, that's what the flares are for.

Mmm v8 conversions...... haha how hard could it be, possibly the only part of the d40 left after that would be the cab lol

You guys gotta be anlr to hear my wifes eyes roll.... hahaha,

To be fair though if it cost more than say 1k to get it running again its going to get parted out, hopefully i will find some time in the next couple weeks to tear the engine down and have a better look, mostly to see how bad the crank is

So finally got the engine out and apart far enough to confirm what happened and possibly why, as you can see when i took the harmonic balancer assembly out, i found a bolt loose, said bolt is the rear main crank bearing, the bolt is not stripped, it has come loose (at least i can thread it back in and it gets hand tight)

As yet i need to get the crank out and have a look at the bearing surfaces etc but i am quietly hopefull the beast will ride again

Attachments

• 20190529_160805.jpg
    20190529_160805.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 20190529_161039.jpg
    20190529_161039.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
I wonder if that's possibly going to happen to others? That would mean they missed torquing that bolt up. Do you think an inspection cam through the sump plug would be able to spot that?

Yeah definetly, fish it up and over top of the balancer assembly would see it, in my case it was sticking out almost an inch, i would have thought the bolt head would have been resting against the balancer

The part i am really finding surprising is that there seems to be almost no other damage, depending on when i get time to have a look at the bearing surface after i get the crank.out,

I am assuming ecu saw a big enough difference between crank angle and cam sensors and shut it off, i dont think i could react that fast after the noise it made

So you might get away with a big end bearing replacement?

That's a positive. It's not good that it let go at all, of course! At first you thought the crank might have broken - this is a big step up from that.

How's the bore look in that cylinder?

Oh no, the crank is broken, so it needs one of those, but looking breifly on the interweb it looks like you can get them for a few 100 bucks on alibaba, and i need to have a better look at the main bearing kournal and cap that is in question,

but i will only need a gasket kit, instead of the full rebuild kit, sooooo maybe a grand all up, depending if i get the head reconned, (valve springs) and if i do my usual and go full stupid on it

Oh no, the crank is broken, so it needs one of those, but looking breifly on the interweb it looks like you can get them for a few 100 bucks on alibaba, and i need to have a better look at the main bearing kournal and cap that is in question,

but i will only need a gasket kit, instead of the full rebuild kit, sooooo maybe a grand all up, depending if i get the head reconned, (valve springs) and if i do my usual and go full stupid on it

As you guys can see from the photos below, the crank is definetly broken, of interest apart from the bearings on the number 4 journal there seems to be no other damage, i havent dimensionally inspected anything, but damn, theres even cross hatch in the cylinder bores still

Seriously not bad shape considering its got 365k on it

Coincidentally does anyone know where i can get a replacement crank, local nissan dealer wants just shy of 1700 bucks, and i aint payin that much ...............

Attachments

• 20190605_140555.jpg
    20190605_140555.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 20190605_140530.jpg
    20190605_140530.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 20190605_140624.jpg
    20190605_140624.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 52
You might find one by grabbing a donk from a wrecker?

I'm disgusted at the price of parts direct from Nissan. Airbag module $1025 ... that's criminal. I've opened mine up, it has a faulty 3900uF 25V electrolytic capacitor.

Yeah 4500 bucks min here, cheaper to buy a crank and a rebuild kit.............

But yeah, i know genuinenparts from the dealer are criminally priced, t i am sure thet make more from parts than a whole car

I wonder what the response would be if you went in with this deal ...

"I'll buy the car in whole. I'll then return the brand new components to you, and you give me the shelf price of each component. You will get the entire car less the crankshaft ..."

You'll make a killing. Or they'll give you a crankshaft to save the bother.

I wonder what response you'd get from Nizzbits? Send him a PM. He knows a few people. You might get lucky!

The other option is gut the interior and modify the firewall to have half the motor in the cab with you :)

Hahaha that's it Bod's, I could live with that - who needs a heater anyway.. we may get to experiment with mine yet ;)

Well, its been almost 2 years, but i am finally putting the yd25 back together, git the block machined, found a new (used -had a cracked head) bottom end (200 bucks), got the crank outa that and a bunch of other odds and ends a local guy was wrecking his so i even got some STX seats and other bits and bobs to get it over the pits

The boys at Harris engines in Perth have been fantastic giving it the once over, block tunnel needed a machine, faced and a hone, replacement crank got a polish, they also pointed out my head was cracked, they supplied and built up the new one using my valves and springs, they measured it all up and supplied all the gaskets and bolts, bearings and rings i need to get it back to life

Sooooooo now it is going back together, slowly, trying to decide if i want to get some timing chain guides, (already have dual row kit, 100k on it, guides are a bit worn is all) and maybe tensioners if it isnt an arm and a leg

Bottom end is together, need more forma gasket to proceed install of the head, with the bushfires in perth, kinda put a delay on the trip to repco to sort that out, going today though😁😁

got evacuated, then back, then roadblocks, all safe now though

Attachments

• 20210125_135450.jpg
    20210125_135450.jpg
    935.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 20210131_124554.jpg
    20210131_124554.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 23

Latest posts

Back