Reverse lights flashing....Help please!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jado78

Reaction score
Guys, I am after some diagnosis help please. When I have my STR in reverse the reverse lights go on and off intermittently. Is there a sensor on the gearbox that could be a problem or should I be looking else where for the problem. I have tried to put pressure on the gear stick in different positions while in reverse but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think the STR has the FS5R30A manual box. The reversing light switch should be high up on the right hand side of the gearbox towards the rear. When in reverse, it should have continuity and when in any other gear including neutral, it should not - a simple resistance check will tell you if the switch is working or not.

If the switch is working, it might be the connector on the plug, or the connections in the tail lights. Might be worth inspecting the fuses too just to make sure.

If the switch is not working, it can be replaced - I don't know if it can be cleaned.

I had exactly this problem and it eventually got to the point where I had no reverse lights. At my last service I mentioned it to the mechanic and they fitted a new switch. They did say the switches are getting hard to get, although that sounded odd given the ute is still being sold new.

Thanks Bullwinkle, I am leaning towards the switch too. If I keep pressure on the gear stick and hold my tongue right it stays on.

Thanks Bullwinkle, I am leaning towards the switch too. If I keep pressure on the gear stick and hold my tongue right it stays on.

I got to the point where I had to close my left eye and tilt my head to the right to get the lights to come on. Ended up with a crook neck, so got it fixed

Latest posts

Back