Should I do the timing chain or not

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try australian engines some boys have used them and reackon there preaty good give them a call and have a chat to them i think its about $800 for the kit. The good thing about the yd25 kit is that its promised to last 200k so maybe take that into consideration

The yd25.com.au kit is warranted for 3yrs/60,000km. I'm not sure where all this 200k talk started - but their website says otherwise.

Hopefully they do last 200k (I just fitted one), they just aren't warranted for that

Thanks guys!

So I did some calling around and this is what came out:

Nason seems to be a good quality after market brand with offers timing chain kits for Navaras. Unfortunately, none in stock atm and also no ETA.

Engine Australia seems to be a valid option. Simplex chain going for around 600+GST and duplex chain for 1300+GST. Both chain kits are largely made in Taiwan. Warranty 12 months, unlimited kms.

Austral Gear is offering timing chain kits as well but you can only buy them through Bursons. Also made in Taiwan, warranty 24 months or 40'000 kms. Not sure re price.

So what is the deal with Taiwanese parts? Go or a no go? Or am I just too much of a newbie and don't know that most after market parts are manufactured in Taiwan?

Cheers

Dr. OzLov

From what I understand the biggest issue with doing it yourself is that there is a dowel pin that has a tendency to drop into the sump if you are not carful when you remove the cover after that its relatively straight forward. Oh the other thing would be to make sure you have new seals/gaskets on hand as I dont think the kit comes with them. The only reason I had Nissan do mine was that I just didnt have the time to do it myself.

are you talking about the key that slots into the crank shaft? I cant seem to find mine, when I pulled off the lower timing cover yesterday, maybe it dropped into the sump, I have drained the oil and taken the lower sump pan off hoping for an easy find, but no luck, if it has dropped in there and is sitting in the top part of the sump near the front somewhere, is there a an easy way to get to it? Because it seems that to remove that part of the sump I will either need to remove the steering rack and axle to drop it down, or pull the engine out, neither of which I want to do.

Ok gents

It took a while but now it's done. Timing chain changed for the first time ever on the car.

So I managed to get hold of the first owner. He confirmed that timing chain was never serviced on the Nav D40 2007 Spanish. When I did it, the car had 223000 on the clock. I followed advice on this board and bought Engine Australia timing chain kit, single row. Was not that expensive, around 700 bucks. Half the parts were genuine, the chain was manufactured in Japan. Sales guy told me that they use Japaneses ones cos they are stronger than Taiwanese.

I also found a mechanic, did some negotiation, convinced him to let me help him and do the dirty work (cleaning oil of parts, taking down parts and putting them back, etc.) and he charged me 900 bucks.

Now here are the photos of tear and wear....couldn't see much difference in chains but the rest is attached.

Thanks a lot for your advice and support.

Dr OzLov

Attachments

• 20150503_091215.jpg
    20150503_091215.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 112
  • 20150503_091202.jpg
    20150503_091202.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 20150503_091147.jpg
    20150503_091147.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 107
Ok fellas, so this morning I got hold of the first owner of my Nav. Get ready for this: the car has done 223000 kms without one timing chain service!!!!

A timing chain isnt supposed to be a serviceable item. A timing belt is. Most people should never need to touch them.

For 223k thats looking alright for a YD25 :p

Interesting you went another single row kit. I personally wasn't comfortable doing that, given the problem (in my opinion) is that the single row chain drives (amongst other things) a double row chain. When paying for labour on such a big job, I needed to know my wallet wasn't gonna cop that hit again.

That logic is backwards to me and probably the reason all of these are failing.

Anywho - fingers crossed the new single row chain serves you well.

Back