D40 Stereo Fault

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave01

Reaction score
Hi all,

So my D40 is just under a year old and seems to have an issue with the stereo. Whilst listening to FM the station I am listening to seems to flick to another for a second or two. At first I thought it was just reception in the area I was in however when it happened over and over again I figured it must be an issue with the stereo itself.

I spoke with Nissan and they have replaced the stereo a couple of months ago, however this has not fixed the problem. Now they are saying that they cannot find fault as they had it running today and it was fine.

So I guess my question is has anyone else had this issue and has it been corrected?

Love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,

Dave

Personally I'd keep taking it back until they made it work properly (or proved that was the way it was suppose to work which seems unlikely) because it is more than likely an internal problem and therefore not something you can just fix quickly. Seems odd that two units (yours and the replacement) both have the same problem but make them do the hard yards.

Failing that replace it with something else you actually like.

go to a professional car stereo place ask them they might know better than nissan, might not be the radio/cd player
could it be the on the steering control the fault?

Last edited:
We are having the same problem at the moment. They have replaced it, first with a refurbished one and then a brand new one. Still the same problem. We are taking it in tomorrow, so they can have another go at trying to fix it. It might be worth staying in contact, that way if one of us find the problem, we can let the other know? Our car is no 4 months old. Email - [email protected]. Good luck!

Hi my d40 is only 3 months old and I have this exact problem too stereo is getting replaced. Will let you know what happens

My D40 is 1 month old and the fm tuner does not autoscan.
Is this a similar/ related problem?

It's not a big deal, I'm not a huge radio listener.

depending on which radios u have, make sure "local" is turned off, this feature will tell the radio to find the strongest signal and change to that one

I have the same issue as you describe and had assumed it was a reception issue. I have noticed that if I flick to another preset and back it stops which I guess does suggest its not a reception issue. My Ute is 9k old and about 4 months

Mine does something a bit weird to.
When I stored triple j in one of the preset buttons it comes up with Nova but says the frequency of triple j.
Ok not a big deal I thought, but whenever in regional area itll just change 2 nova by itself.
Keeps doing it every few minutes & its bloody annoying.

there is a hidden menu that can turn off that function, you need to follow a sequence of pressing buttons to bring it up.
Trouble is i have lost the thread that i learnt this from and used to correct this very problem.
nissan do now have a bulletin on how to find and turn off the feature.

From the thread Nath is talking about

"As per the title the stock stereo in my ST-X (also in the rest of the range now I think, and first supplied in the ST-X 550 a few years ago) has an incredibly annoying 'AF' mode.

What happens is in areas of patchy reception (like in the area I live in near Toowoomba) the FM radio hunts for a better signal of the station which is playing. While great in theory, it jumps to a completely different station all the time for some reason!

When the reception is bad the end result is that the radio jumps for a second or two every once in a while (sometimes often) to a different station.

The 'AF' mode is mentioned in the owners handbook, but no info is given how to deselect it on the non-nav systems.

I figured I would put the fix up on here, as I searched long and hard to find it! The end answer; I called the local dealer in Toowoomba who helped which just seemed too easy

Press and hold 'setup' and jiggle the 'tune' knob left and right. This brings up a hidden menu and from there you can deselect the AF mode. This way the station you are on may deteriorate in quality a little, but the radio wont hunt for a new station and drive you crazy by chopping stations automatically.

Hope it helps!"

Latest posts

Back