Go Back   The Navara Forum > D23 (NP300) > D23 General Chat

Old 30-12-2016, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy john View Post
Tweak in your line of work a splitter box would be a godsend
yeah i was giving the truck guys a hard time over that.
all the brands small trucks ie nissan atlas, just have 5 speed gearboxes and usually the same engine as a ute or some pathetic under powered thing.
some of these are 6 tonners with just a 5 speed.......ewwww.
Sponsored Links

Old 30-12-2016, 05:22 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweak'e View Post
single cabs tend to carry far more weight than a dual cab (or at least meant to be!).
1 ton on the tray and 2500kg (common as mud here) or 3500kg (our highest) trailer, a tall first gear you smoke clutch.
with the d22 at times we would be in low range to get going especially hill starts.

i would love a split shift. a 5 speed box with splitter....yes please mr nissan.
Understand where you are coming from.
We all have our own uses and wish list.
Mine is a work horse and speed between jobs is my game. From Warburton to Eucla 10_15 jobs a day.
ARB Summit bull bar
LED Lightbar 24x10w creed LED's
Brown Davis long range fuel tank
Redark dual battery charger and second battery.
Uniden UH8080 S 80 Channel UHF
Slush mats

Old 30-12-2016, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member

My Mood:

I've taken it off topic again, I guess such a box would cost more but long term when the drivers were educated the running costs would be so much better. I drove a Mazda T3500 with a splitter box for a period of time delivering pools and spa's. For a little 3.5 that box made for a relaxed drive with no stain on the drive and it easily handled big loads. As for the tyre change I doubt when the cheese cutters go there will be next to no difference. My YD puts out just under 160hp atw and it made no noticeable change apart from 150rpm lower at 120kph. Heavy steel rims are the killer, but in your work Tweak they'd kill an alloy. I'm 2.8 tonne now so have to be carefull with accesories. Hucker your canopy and setup looks tops mate!

Cheers
John

Old 30-12-2016, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Garage

the other approach is to use more gears.
eg the vw amarok its something like 8 gears (auto), really low 1st, but no low range. doesn't need it. unfortunately they forgot to put a 2nd reverse gear in, that can catch you out. i have driven one and its very nice to drive, the low gears are useful in the paddock and in the supermarket car park.

alloys, that comes down to if you get cheap nasty ones or you abuse the crap out of it.
a lot of you guys run the same weight i do ! by the time you put big bars, bash plates, sliders etc, loaded with camping gear your at GVM very easily.
boss has the ranger with the alloys, thats surviving ok and its been hauling some weight.

Old 30-12-2016, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

My Mood:

Also the NP has a very noisey engine fan, it's in no hurry to stop roaring I drove next to one on a two lane road and it moaned for a good 5 minutes. It takes 10-12 hp to drive the fan, surely that would hurt economy.

Old 30-12-2016, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Garage

Quote:
Also the NP has a very noisey engine fan, it's in no hurry to stop roaring I drove next to one on a two lane road and it moaned for a good 5 minutes. It takes 10-12 hp to drive the fan, surely that would hurt economy.
yes, but electric fan simply cannot match mechanical fans for air flow.
when your hauling loads up a hill you really want that mechanical fan.

Nissan have a fix
Old 30-12-2016, 08:40 AM

Garage
Default Nissan have a fix

Quote:
Had a very noisey engine fan. Dealer fixed it at 10,000 km service after lots of complaining, no noise now! Very happy Nav owner.

Old 12-01-2017, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Garage

i have been giving it a few good loads this week.
power has been ok. its not startling, its only 120kw so only 10kw higher than the d22 zd30.
but loads of low rpm power so no issue pulling a full trailer plus a load on the back.
however take off is still an issue. i only did one trip with the trailer so part of it could be just me not being used to the new ute.
i had to dip the clutch and give it stick to get it moving at a bastard intersection. when turbo came on it promptly try to spin up those little biscuit wheels, which it did a bit even with traction control fighting it.
i still think it wants a lower geared diff.

so far i'm not missing the lsd at all. tho i suspect i will be wanting a locker come winter.

handling with a load is good. a big step up from the d22.

Noisey Fan
Old 06-02-2017, 11:54 PM

My Mood:
Default Noisey Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky2228 View Post
Had a very noisey engine fan. Dealer fixed it at 10,000 km service after lots of complaining, no noise now! Very happy Nav owner.
Hi, can I ask what the dealer did to fix your noisy engine fan. My STX has a noisy and annoying fan when first starting off .Has done so since new and is about to go in for the 20000klm service .Highway speed is very quiet though!
thanks. Martin

Old 13-02-2017, 07:43 AM

Garage

Hi mbramston, the dealer apparently contacted Nissan Australian and they gave them a different part number to order from overseas, other than the standard clutch fan part member listed in the parts schedule. Believe me I was very relieved once I picked up the car with no fan noise on take off.

Last edited by Rocky2228; 13-02-2017 at 07:45 AM.