Nissan genuine parts campaign "Beware of Strangers" gets a roast

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chronic

Reaction score
To be fair, Nissan is partly correct. Genuine parts carry a factory-backed warranty that they will do exactly as they are supposed to do. You may not get the same warranty with something off eBay (example: a cheap Chinese turbocharger).

However, I don't think that's always the case. You can buy better radiators. Better turbocharger hosing. Better alternators and so on.

The one point that you'd have to make is that by using genuine parts, you have a vehicle that will perform exactly as intended by the manufacturer. If your goal is to maintain a completely stock vehicle in every respect, then genuine parts is the only way to go.

Personally I'm not that fussed. I'd like a BB turbo. I want to replace my radiator with an alloy one. I've already put a 150A alternator in and done away with the boost control solenoid. There are aspects of the car that could be improved upon, but changing one part may compromise another - and I guess that's the final point. Replacing with genuine will never compromise the car as a whole.

The reason i stick with genuine parts for my 2.5 diesel d40:

Genuine oil filter: made in germany
Genuine air filter: made in france
Genuine fuel filter: made in austria
Genuine cabin filter: made in germany

Ryco filters: made in china
Wesfil/Cooper filters: made in china
Repco filters: made in china
Wix filters: made in china
Baldwin filters: made in china

Just because it's made in china doesn't mean it's bad. I'll happily put in a ryco or Repco filter, I'd imagine plenty of mechanics would too. I'm not familiar with the other brands, but if they are 'industry standard, then why not. I'd be wary of buying off eBay, leads to unknown quality.

I thought the ads were amusing, especially the bullbar one. Auto expert is being his usual self righteous tool persona, hamming it up for the camera to 'save you thousands' nothing new there.

One thing you have to watch out for with knock off parts what does their warranty cover in the event of a failure. Does it cover other damages caused to related parts etc. If a Chinese made oil filter fails and lunches an engine does the warranty only cover the failed filter? In warranties there can be a lot of fine print with what is called "limited warranty" which is naturally limited to that part only and no other damage caused.

If you think any manufacturer moves production to china for any reason other than its cheap, you've fallen for the marketing jargon of the big global players

Electronics aside, as china is almost the ONLY place feasible to produce consumer electronics, china is structurally and financially incapable of reproducing the precision manufacturing and quality control of japan, germany, USA, sweden, france etc

They are the world's sweatshop and we all know it

A mechanic I know had a Ryco rep come and offer to swap out his entire stock of filters, genuine, cooper and repco mainly

Some were missing packaging, perished or damaged, or had just been there for ages, Ryco swapped the lot for free, and dropped off a heap of other gear and promotional material

How can they afford to do this?

Huge margins from low cost chinese manufacturing

Combine this with a convincing sales rep offering all kinds of benefits, and quality of product barely matters anymore

A mechanic I know had a Ryco rep come and offer to swap out his entire stock of filters, genuine, cooper and repco mainly

Some were missing packaging, perished or damaged, or had just been there for ages, Ryco swapped the lot for free, and dropped off a heap of other gear and promotional material

How can they afford to do this?

Huge margins from low cost chinese manufacturing

Combine this with a convincing sales rep offering all kinds of benefits, and quality of product barely matters anymore

Someone very close to me is a sales rep of 30+ years; what you described is pretty normal practice when a company wants to move in on a business - whether they sell Chinese stuff or stuff made elsewhere. Some companies will even do a full makeover of a retail business premises at their expense. Most suppliers also employ merchandisers to work in retail outlets at the suppliers expense - ongoing.

Latest posts

Back