'96 D21 4x2 V6 - LSD?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Che_Navara

Reaction score
G'day,
Recently bought a '96 D21 single cab V6 4X2.
It has a H233B diff in it. I suspect it is LSD but has either lost preload, or has worn plates.
There are remnants of a sticker on the diff housing, upper passenger side, but it's unreadable.
On the road it spins one wheel usually, and when I jack it up and turn one wheel, the other one doesn't turn at all.
I'd expect the opposite wheel to counter-rotate if it was an open diff. Pretty much all the same symptoms the R200 clutch LSD in my R31 showed when it was tired.

So...before I take it to the diff guy and ask him to reco the LSD centre, am I barking up the right tree?

Parts system shows them as delivered to Australia with 2 pinion, 4 pinion AND LSD H233b rear diffs, with LSD as an option.

The sticker is orange, and rectangular with rounded corners - if the remnants of your sticker resemble that you may be in luck. There are remnants of other stickers on the diff housing sometimes - these other stickers started life coloured white.

When you're jacking it up and turning the wheel, if the other wheel isn't turning, you must have it in neutral. Is that correct? I'd say the drag of your driveline must be less than the drag of the drum brake.

Try it in gear, the other wheel should counter rotate.

That's a good point and I didn't think of that possibility. Will have another look.

If it's an open centre diff can I fit something like a Patrol front LSD centre into it?

Well it's an open diff. Win some, lose some. I guess I'll need to pull the diff centre out to see what's in it. Any idea if the axles have different spline counts between two pinion/four pinion centres?

Also any truth that an MK/MQ/GQ front LSD will fit in it?

As far as I'm aware mk/mq all had a c200 front end. H233b rear yes, although gq and gu had them in the front. From memory they are a 31 spline in the patrols, not sure in the navaras though. ....

These h233b rears are the same as patrol fronts. (patrol front were only open, or some rare locker ones) but they share the same spline count. people often take the nav LSD rear and put it in the front of the patrol.

the nav h233bs LSDs are different to the rear h233b LSDS on the patrols. patrols rear have a different spline count and way larger lsd shims.

The nav h233b is the same in the terranos and pathfinders rear. so if you find an LSD unit from one of these you can put it into your Nav. well the center anyway, they have spring rear so the housings are different.

if you find a series one d22, the 3.2l model, they have a h233b that is also the same. but the housing is longer and you cannot use it....but the center is same same.

i cant confirm the Mq/mk h233s being the same, but they probably are.

i have played the nav diff game for a while, so ive got a heap of useless information about them....ive pulled apart nearly every nav diff ive had and played with it in one way or another (re-shim/weld/etc).
if you want to know anything, just send me a PM

here is an appart h233b rear lsd.

3FnobrP.jpg

now here is the shims from sed diff. the new one is from a h233b patrol rear, as you can see there way different.

at the time i didn't compare these shims to one from a c200/r200...but eyeballing both separately leads me to believe they are the same.

sARTZIG.jpg

hard to see but the black diff is a d22 and the dirty one is a d21 one. look identical, but the d22 mounts are roughly 4cm apart either side...if you bend your leaves on a shitty angle you can get it in, but it also gives your rear wheels a different offset and they stick further out.

http://i.imgur.com/waNruC5.jpg

regards, christian

Awesome, great info! So, long story short, D21 4WD H233B LSD centre should direct fit my 4x2 diff? I guess that's all I need to know, I don't mind swapping the centre out.

Those plates out of the LSD certainly look pretty similar to the ones out of my R200, but I suspect they'd be bigger.

Latest posts

Back