Oil catch can install. Some good info.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BP90 said:
Sorry joshman i wasnt in anyway trying to be smart, i was just explaining it from how i interpreted the diy thats in the patrol zd30 reference guide which this diy catch can was sourced from. I didnt mean to come across as being a smartarse, just saying how i thought it was meant to work and then hoping that someone who knows more about catch cans could either correct me if i was wrong or tell me that i had understood the flow of the air properly as i am going to have a go at making one myself.

So in short i was basically tryin to say that how i interpreted the diy is that the air goes through the pot scrubbers on the way out of the catch can. Sorry again mate

My apologies mate, I re-read your post again and you did mention the pot scrubber on the way out, so yeah, sorry for questioning the intelligence of your posterior! (I really gotta stop speed reading posts at work)

Nah thats ok mate, i doubt you would be the first person that has mis interpretted something i have said. No probs tho.

Does any kno the size of the brass elbow fittings used for the hose and also the size of the hose that ya need to use?

Hey Benny, did you use just normal storm water pipe or some high pressure pipe?

or will there be enough pressure to worry about that?

Make sure your pipes are made to resist degradation from oil. The last thing you want is bits of rubber in the intake.
I spent a little more and used one suitable for hydrolic oil.
The D40 uses 16mm

oh sorry I didnt explain very well, the PVC pipe he used to construct the DIY catch can.

i just used some stormwater pipe i had lying around in the shed. Its been going really well so far. Catches quite a bit in 5000km. What ive done now is put a bead of silicon around the outside where the bottom screws on. I cleaned the engine bay and got water inside the catch can. Lesson Learnt....

oh cool, yer cause I looked at the patrol doc and he specifies high pressure pipe glue. so I didn't know if there was a reason for that..

But I'll definitely make sure I water proof it :p

Great thread! I like that design! Would sewer pipe be good too? Its heaps heavier duty than storm water.
Iv just used a ebay job, $30, got a bit of hose going from the inlet to the bottom of the can like a bong, except i perforated the bottm half of the hose with a lot of little holes to diffuse the flow abit, and filled it full of s/steel scourer. Took all of ten minutes.
Seems to work a treat, after about 2000km i cant see anything in the sight glass yet, but the oily hose is real oily and the hose going to the air itake is real clean.
Been getting ideas looking at lawnmower air filters too...

Is there a good way of not running a hose back into the intake?

I realise you could just block off the barb on the intake and run the hose down into the engine bay but then oil will just drip out.
Is there some kind of filter that will allow the can to breathe but keep the oil in?

here is one i build and install.

Attachments

• P7100089.jpg
    P7100089.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 952
Hi Bennystruck,
I'm new to this forum and have an 05 Navara. I'm in the process of building the catch can using your design, can you tell me if the baffle wall is glued in as I cant quite see in the photos. I have to mount mine behind the Fuel filter so have to work on how I will do that. I'm using 5/8 brass fittings for mine.
Thanks

Terry

Last edited:
Coolbigrock Like your design for the catch can have you got any info on the build sizes etc, baffle keen to make one the same, is it made out of steel or alloy.

Hey JAYBIRD

Yeah its glued in. Silicon down both sides so its a tight seal...good luck with ur install

it is out of steel,4" by 4" by 4",no baffles,just some steel pot scrubbers inside,oil still get down into the intake,might have to redesign,it,will posted once i make it over.

I can see the hose from the intake but where does the other hose go? Could someone post a photo of it please, much appreciated

Latest posts

Back