Go Back   The Navara Forum > D22 > D22 Suspension & Steering

d22 suspension query
Old 05-02-2018, 07:33 AM

Default d22 suspension query

Hey Guys, iv fitted an efs suspension kit to my truck and it has made a noticable difference, how ever when i go over corrugated roads or braking bumps on loose gravel, the front end goes absolutely nuts. is this normal for an ifs truck with torsions... or is there something im missing
Sponsored Links

Old 05-02-2018, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

maybe the front shockies are not suited. torsion bars are a substitute for springs , the shockies handle the bumps.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:08 AM

the shockies are brand new, i hope they not flogged already

Old 05-02-2018, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

as i mentioned the torsion bars act as springs and if these springs are not suited to the shockies that are the units that take the bumps etc you will get some issues going over rough terrain . you can get different rides with different springs and also different rides with different shockies so sometimes it is a hit and miss to find the right combination that is going to suit .
my son went through 2 different sets of King springs with his previous Subaru to find the ride he wanted. does your front end feel too hard ?

Old 05-02-2018, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

How was the rebound on the shockies before you fitted them? Did they push back out when compressed or were they a bit soft? They may be suited to a steel bullbar with a winch, which is a lot more weight than a standard alloy bar or bumper setup. Did you change the torsion bars or are they the stock ones? How far have you wound them up? If they are topping or bottoming out on the bumpstops then that may cause what you are feeling.

Last edited by bods; 06-02-2018 at 04:34 AM.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:46 PM

Also check to see if your front bump stops are touching the UCA.
If they are or closer than 1omm, then you will have bugger all up travel causing the car to do what it does.

2011 D22 2.5Cr. Fuel cap holder, bonnet scoop protection, Bonnet protector, Tint, Snorkel, tub liner, Tow bar, Bash plates, Sliders, Sus lift, DVD headrests, Idler Arm Brace, P Bull bar, Winch, Canopy, Dynapro ATM's, Alarm, Slim weather shields, EGR mod, +120's, 9' LED's, LED parkers, Seat covers, Variable intermittent wiper stalk, Dash mat, DVR mirror with reverse camera.

Old 06-02-2018, 02:13 AM

Hey, the rebound was definitely worse before fitting the new lift kit, i did replace the torsions and i wound them up around 2inchs to be 10mm less then the rear.
ill measure the the gap when i next have a chance. it doesn't feel the bump stops are hitting but i culd be completely wrong, it is pretty hard to try describe

Old 06-02-2018, 02:25 AM
Advanced Member

Double check it, you really want at least 10mm clearance from the upper bumpstop to the upper control arm.

Does it only go crazy when braking or any time on rough roads?

Old 06-02-2018, 04:22 AM

braking is perfect same with speed bumps, its only really corrugations or anything repetitive like driving down the river on rocks etc

Old 06-02-2018, 04:33 AM
Advanced Member

Are you getting steering wheel shake or just a really rough ride in the front end?