Who rides bikes and what are they

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never driven an Aston Martin so I couldn't say. I've owned a Jaguar XJS and it's a little like that with a different engine note, no roof over your head and a much, much smaller fuel bill. Can't complain about 5.6LPHK when the Triumph Triple they loaned me was getting 5.1LPHK and there was so little to that bike ...

Anyone around Brisbane that does the Mt Glorious route add a bit more time to your Sunday ride. 2 Alcohol and Drug testing sites, each of these takes 5-10 mins. 2 inspection sites depending on the traffic you can wait up to 15 minutes until the Vulchers sift through your bike.

All within the Kilcoy, Mt Mee section after you go through Mt Glorious. There is also unmarked Police bikes patrolling as well, they are black Suzuki Hayabusa's with the copper having a go pro on his helmet and the bike.

Cheers

What would the offense be, having a GoPro on the helmet? It's hardly obstructing the view. If they plead Privacy legislation then how does any car with a black box get past their scrutiny?

What would the offense be, having a GoPro on the helmet? It's hardly obstructing the view. If they plead Privacy legislation then how does any car with a black box get past their scrutiny?
Apparently you can be done for using the sticky mounts to attach the camera to the helmet, but if the mount clamps on and can be easily removed then it isn't a problem... that was the last I heard and there was some rta media release on it at the time...

modifying the helmet, same as all the redneck stickers i have, supposedly they weaken the structure of the helmet.

I've done some reading on it. The regs state that any protrusion beyond 5mm could cause the helmet to rotate while the rider is mid-accident. There are some that agree and some that don't. Some point to the police who have GoPros mounted on their helmets and I even read one page that suggested that the best way to cut down speeding deaths was to let everyone drive as fast as they liked.

I've had my little bike pulled down doing some porting and a few other things around the airbox to help it move along. I expected to have to re-jet it and I had to. But it would pull like a train then get to mid range then run out of power and break up like being starved of fuel or an ignition problem.

Many hours playing around with jetting and checking all the electrics I could not fix the damm thing. Reluctantly used a local bike shop for the first ever time to test the coil and jetting. "Nothing wrong mate" $120 later same problem.

I'd tested the kickstand kill switch at idle and everything was good, but get into it a certain vibration would cause the switch to fail and then lose power.
Bypass the switch, full power is back and more after the porting.

A little like the NPS trouble on a Navara so to speak, I may of wasted 5 hours on this problem and I'm only posting in the hope it helps someone else.

Cheers

Funny, I've just been working on mine too. Removed the weak solution of coolant and replaced it with proper stuff, winter's on its way and I don't want the coolant freezing on me and popping the cores of the radiator.

Found two interesting problems on her, too - and think I know what's causing them. My front brake switch (like the Navara brake pedal) has two switches, one to disengage the cruise control and one to bring on the brake light. The brake light doesn't work - that's ok, I use the foot brake as well and that DOES bring on the light, but I have to track down the fault.

And the second problem is the coolant temperature display no longer works. On the Goldwing, the sensor is right near the thermostat buried in the middle, but I suspect that isn't the cause of my woes - I suspect it's failed wiring.

I've taken one of the electrical connectors just above the right hand radiator fan apart and it really looks messy, so much so that I'd wonder if any power could get through. I cleaned that one, but my big hands don't fit in to undo the rest of them, so we're going to wait for a clear weekend and I'll take her out the back, whack a gazebo over her and start dismantling the fairing. What fun, eh?

Bike wireing is a pain, but with time you know what to look for. The looms are less length than a car as such but easy to trace. Got to look at electrical and carb/injection too.

bike

I don't suspect that the task will be hugely difficult, just lengthy, because there's so much fairing to remove. Where most bikes have a fuel tank, my Goldwing has a stereo on the top and an air filter underneath, and it's not easy to get to - that's where I need to go to check the sensor.

But where the gremlin is, I suspect, is inside the main fairing in a bracket on the right side mounted above the radiator fan. To get to it, I need to remove the fairing centre (which reveals the bolts for the fairing upper), then the windshield, headlight, instrument cluster, inner top liners (including the glove boxes) and then the fairing itself.

I've already had the headlight out, I had to upgrade the headlight wiring - the Goldwing brings its headlight (2 x 60/55W halogens) on with the ignition, and one of the previous owners put an ordinary 10A switch in line with the low beam wire and then glued that switch beside the tacho. There are 7 auxiliary switches on this bike - I chose one of those, connected it to a relay and rewired the headlight so that it was driven through a 40A relay instead.

I need to clean the electrics up anyway, there's a bit of mess and the bike is 20 years old - I'd like to go over every connection and give it a clean so that it can do another 20 years!

Didn't know Goldwings have gloveboxes , I thought they had ashtrays though.

It has a lockable glovebox on the right hand side and a studded leather covered glovebox on the left hand side. I have two cig lighters and no ashtray ... but thankfully I don't smoke!

I've ridden and owned heaps of bikes over the years. A Harley to me did not suit and I felt it was just not right so to speak. A Goldwing needs a rider with size and know how. At a guess Tony would be 6'3 and could ride it like a toy. But while this topic is up has anyone changing to Iridium plugs noticed it goes better?. I found no change despite 4 times the price.

I remember when "Hot U"s were the rage (and considerably dearer than plain plugs). Supposedly a hotter, fatter spark ... then came platinum, supposedly a longer life, more active spark ... advertising hype is wonderful, eh? I don't think I'm going to buy Iridium plugs. I'm so sick of hype. I'd be interested if I were racing the thing and squeezing the last possible bit out of the engine that I could, but until I've got sponsors and a crew ... well hell, the Wing doesn't corner very well anyway, so the standard plugs will do!

You got my height about right. The weight's scary - I'm 100kg, and the bike's 420kg empty, so we're over half a tonne. I tend to take it a little more gently than I used to ride my FJ1200 but that girl was only a smidge over 250Kg. The Goldwing reacts nicely to a smooth hand, it's actually a pleasure to ride - you wouldn't think it weighed almost as much as a Mini Minor (which tips the scales at around 650Kg).

Cornering is compromised by its size. You can't lean it all the way over (compared to my FJ) because it's too heavy - it's likely to slide - and any irregularity in the road surface causes the bike to smack the ground mid-corner. I have had to learn to go a little more slowly through bends - so I don't get that exhiliration of cornering hard - but you can sit back and simply enjoy a more graceful motion. If you're after adrenaline the 'Wing is not the bike to take out for a ride!

Latest posts

Back