d22 2.5L STR lack off power on take off

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently sold my old 75 Series ute with the 4.2 and bought a 2.5 Navara (and owned a 3L D4D hilux in between) . The Navara is very slow off the line and needs low range in the soft stuff compared to the cruiser which topped out at about 7km/h in first High range. Great for taking off and then............nothing.

Having said that I cant wipe the smile off my face. The Navara uses half the fuel, is 100 times easier and more comfortable to drive, safer and quieter. Don't buy a 2.5L DIESEL and then wonder why it needs to rev to move. Just take off slowly and enjoy the drive in your airbagged, air conditioned comfort. When you're off road you should be in low range enjoying the view and the drive anyway.

Buy a 4.5L Petrol and take off quickly so you can stop off at that servo just down the road to top up.

get yourself to newcastle and ime sure tony or myself will happily run a fault code check with our obd torque app to check fault codes and fuel rail pressures ect

I recently sold my old 75 Series ute with the 4.2 and bought a 2.5 Navara (and owned a 3L D4D hilux in between) . The Navara is very slow off the line and needs low range in the soft stuff compared to the cruiser which topped out at about 7km/h in first High range. Great for taking off and then............nothing.

Having said that I cant wipe the smile off my face. The Navara uses half the fuel, is 100 times easier and more comfortable to drive, safer and quieter. Don't buy a 2.5L DIESEL and then wonder why it needs to rev to move. Just take off slowly and enjoy the drive in your airbagged, air conditioned comfort. When you're off road you should be in low range enjoying the view and the drive anyway.

Buy a 4.5L Petrol and take off quickly so you can stop off at that servo just down the road to top up.

AGREE!!!!! basically what i was gonna say!
Completley in love with my d22 had it since december last year and my fuel bill has halved!!

Having said that I cant wipe the smile off my face. The Navara uses half the fuel, is 100 times easier and more comfortable to drive, safer and quieter. Don't buy a 2.5L DIESEL and then wonder why it needs to rev to move. Just take off slowly and enjoy the drive in your airbagged, air conditioned comfort. When you're off road you should be in low range enjoying the view and the drive anyway.Buy a 4.5L Petrol and take off quickly so you can stop off at that servo just down the road to top up.

Takeoff slowly you say you obviously don't do any towing . As a four wheel drive in Low range the Navara is more than capable but towing i found dangerous at times as you haven't the power to do simple things like maintain a speed limit on a hill or even merging onto a freeway. i always seemed to have a trail of cars behind me whilst towing my caravan.

Last edited:
Takeoff slowly you say you obviously don't do any towing . As a four wheel drive in Low range the Navara is more than capable but towing i found dangerous at times as you haven't the power to do simple things like maintain a speed limit on a hill or even merging onto a freeway. i always seemed to have a trail of cafrs behind me whilst towing my caravan.

I think that's the norm for a caravanner. Nobody likes to sit behind a vehicle they can't easily see past or through - and it doesn't matter if they go past you and slam on the brakes to make YOU keep your distance, as long as THEY can be in front.

Hey Tom,
just my 2 cent i have come from 351 ford's and 4.6 rovers to a little 2.5 nav i too noticed this "lack" of power, as i tow a trailer every day i was worried about the ( burn the clutch out drama's) i was told by the nissan guy just give it a little more revs and to remember it is not a V8 with loads of torque but a wee little oil burner. i am going to chip mine as i have had it 14 months now and have run it in gently ( 65'000km already from new work car ). I had a issue with excessive smoke when going up hill and giving it some more go go ( never rev over 3 k ) i was told i was driving it too softly. since then I tend to give it more pedal still never rev over 3k and the smoke is gone. As this is the first diesel i have own i think i was too gentle on it been use to all the torque of the V8's, but since i have started giving it more pedal i have noticed it seems more responsive. Also i get on average 13kPL mixed ( highway,metro) towing a trailer.

I think i agree a bit with driving hard. last tank drove like a granny this tanked drove it hard and i think im going to get much better economy driving it hard. down to 3/4 of a tank with 540km was getting 670km to fullvtank so we will see soon

I flog mine to and from work, sitting on 120kms most of the time and get 700kms/tank so i thought id take it easy last week and see what i could get, didn't go over 100km/hr and got exactly the same fuel economy...

Hi mate yes I have same problem with my str only done 4000k
Have taken back to dealers and they said that is how they are
I have a trailer that is 560kg empty and I have to flog it on a
A hill start

The dealer is right, not a whole lot you can do about that apart from EGR block and better exhaust.

Hi mate I have same problem with my str
I have to flog it on hill starts never had a car
That was so gutless. Nissans advise was to put into
Low range couldn't believe it.

Welcome to the forum, Markanthony. Low range is the last thing you want to use on a firm surface. That salesperson obviously doesn't care that it costs money to replace the transfer chain!

D22s are a little underpowered, but they're quite respectable for the kind of vehicle they are. They aren't a McLaren, or even a Monaro. Aerodynamically they are marginally better than 2 tonnes of housebricks and only because the bricks aren't painted as nicely.

You can put more beans under the bonnet - the largest gain will come from a chip. The cheapest gain from an EGR block. Exhaust will give you a minor improvement.

You can also look at things like LPGas injection, water/alcohol injection, petrol injection, water-to-air intercooling - it's an expensive list and considering the $ for the hp gained might be a valuable exercise if money is short.

If money's no object, drop a V8 in it!

Old tony- you can take off in low range in a D22 cause they have manual locking hubs, D40 you can't though.

chain will be fine as the rear wheels can still turn at different rates.

My 2.5 has a trailer on the back 6 days a week. It weighs in about 700kg and I really have no problems with taking off on hills and that's running 32's. little bit of revs and slight ride of the clutch and I'm off. The d22's will cope with a bit of slip of the clutch unlike pretty much every other ute on the market.

Yeh it certainly isn't fast and I bought it knowing that but I love it, I wouldn't change it for anything.

-Tyler

Old tony- you can take off in low range in a D22 cause they have manual locking hubs, D40 you can't though.

chain will be fine as the rear wheels can still turn at different rates.

I keep forgetting about that. It's an advantage I guess, but once at the top of the hill you have to stop again and select 2HI. Personally I'd either accept the fact that a heavy vehicle goes slowly up hill, or put some more ponies under the bonnet.

There's one more consideration. If you take it easy up the hill and it takes you an extra minute to climb it ... and you have to do that 10 times on your journey ... you've wasted a whole 10 minutes of your life that you'll never get back. Buy a 550 and save those heartbeats!

I would get it back to nissan. Mine went into limp mode after a service where they missed putting one of the air cleaner clips on properly and it came off. Same symptoms as you are describing.

Honestly. It comes down to how you drive it. I could not be happier. Tows 2 and a bit T of horses and float around wonga park (very hilly) and doesn't break a sweat.
It Definalty has more urge then my zd30 patrol as well. I know they are different cars but the engines have the same principles. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

I keep forgetting about that. , but once at the top of the hill you have to stop again and select 2HI.

not so
foot on clutch keep rmoving
select neutral(main gbox),CAREFULLY disengage 4wdlo into 4wd hi into 2wd (you may need to tickle revs)
select 2nd gear release clutch and keep going
ihave performed this several times with camper trailer on
i was changing up to 3rd low before going back to 2wd 2nd

just another bonus in having 2 sticks and manual hubs:ha:

Back