EcuTalk for ZD30 on a Windows tablet

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good one. I have the same problem with charging. I had an otg cable with 2 usb inputs and I was gonna charge from the usb port on the stereo, but when the ecutalk cable is plugged in it stops charging.

Dos the ecu talk cable grab its power from the car or the tablet also? You could save some tablet power and cut the positive from the usb cable....thats if its still sucks too much tablet power....otherwise you can get/build a usb adapter that cuts the power from the tab to the ecu cable.just need somthing that fits inline.

The ecutalk cable has an earth, there is a power wire but it's not used, and from looking on the net usb cables use the outside pins for power and earth but on the ecutalk cable these are used for something else.

Attachments

• ecutalk cable.jpg
    ecutalk cable.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 89
  • charger.png
    charger.png
    992 bytes · Views: 83
The ecutalk cable has an earth, there is a power wire but it's not used, and from looking on the net usb cables use the outside pins for power and earth but on the ecutalk cable these are used for something else.
Does the ecu talk cable load/request a virtual com port driver upon first use? I would imagine it does...the usb end should have a com to usb converter that probably requires 3.3v (converted from usb 5v) to start it up...possibly not a great idea to kill the power to that usb plug...a standard serial connection uses tx and rx wires (transfer and recieve) and normally a ground/earth.
The serial side of it normally normally runs from the device its plugged into...not the PC

Does the ecu talk cable load/request a virtual com port driver upon first use? I would imagine it does...the usb end should have a com to usb converter that probably requires 3.3v (converted from usb 5v) to start it up...possibly not a great idea to kill the power to that usb plug...a standard serial connection uses tx and rx wires (transfer and recieve) and normally a ground/earth.
The serial side of it normally normally runs from the device its plugged into...not the PC

starting to get out of my depth now, but yeah it does install drivers on first use and sets up a com port.

just to clear up some confusion there seems to be here. most tablets/phones with micro usb, are themselves normally a usb device. this means they can be charged from the micro usb.

when you connect a usb OTG (or usb host) adaptor, they become usb hosts, and therefore supply power to the usb port, rather than consume power from it. if you cut power to any 'devices' connected to the tablet via USB OTG, then they wont work.

ecutalk cable doesnt have power supply from the consult connector (only 4 pins in use there - RX/TX/CLK/GND) and thus sources it from the usb port, like all usb devices will.

i dont know if there is a solution to this, i.e. a way to charge the tablet whilst also in usb otg/host mode. some tablets have another socket for charging, separate from micro usb and these are the ones you're after if running permanent setup.

Some new chipped tabs will do charge and host...surface pro....hp steam and some others also...they do require a particular "dock" to enable this.see link i posted...you can intersept the usb power lines to the slave and power it up from another 5v power sourse but somtimes they dont initilize correctly upon start.
Somtimes you get lucky tho...
The easyest way is with a powered usb host hub made for tablets...cant imagine the ecutalk adapter would consume much juice.

just to clear up some confusion there seems to be here. most tablets/phones with micro usb, are themselves normally a usb device. this means they can be charged from the micro usb.

when you connect a usb OTG (or usb host) adaptor, they become usb hosts, and therefore supply power to the usb port, rather than consume power from it. if you cut power to any 'devices' connected to the tablet via USB OTG, then they wont work.

ecutalk cable doesnt have power supply from the consult connector (only 4 pins in use there - RX/TX/CLK/GND) and thus sources it from the usb port, like all usb devices will.

i dont know if there is a solution to this, i.e. a way to charge the tablet whilst also in usb otg/host mode. some tablets have another socket for charging, separate from micro usb and these are the ones you're after if running permanent setup.

Thanks Peter, I was going to email you and see if there was a solution. My tablet's battery is supposed to be good for 5 hrs so that should do. The only other connection is HDMI and headphone jack.

Hello to all,how do you setup a log on the ecutalk,it says to click on the sensors you want to log twice,but once i do that nothing else happens

Last edited:
Hello to all,how do you setup a log on the ecutalk,it says to click on the sensors you want to log twice,but once i do that nothing else happens

Hi coolbigrock. When you open the ECUTalk application, and all the available sensors load up, you have a display at the bottom of the window which says "Logging disabled". Once you check the "log" box next that, the message says "Check sensor twice to log only".
You can then select the gauges which you want to monitor. If you click the check box once (shown by a solid black tick) then click Display Gauges, those gauges will shown in the full screen display. The data from the selected gauges will also be logged. If you want to just log the data from some gauges but not display them on the screen, click the check box twice- the tick will be pale grey.
The data from all selected gauges is then logged until you close the program, unplug the cable or turn off the engine. All log files are then saved automatically to a CSV spreadsheet. I assume it saves to the same location as the ECUtalk program- I have mine in a separate folder on my desktop and all my log files appear there.
If you change the settings in ECUtalk, like turn gauges on or off, it will start a whole new log spreadsheet.
I actually haven't been using ECUtalk much, as I cracked my tablet screen and have just re-installed it on my laptop.

Latest posts

Back