fuel economy in 4wd

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jased22

Reaction score
Just spent the weekend at the coorong drove almost to the mouth from 42 mile crossing. I done 165kms on the beach (soft sand) and used over half a tank of fuel almost 3 quarters. What kind of fuel usage do others get in 4wd?

Just spent the weekend at the coorong drove almost to the mouth from 42 mile crossing. I done 165kms on the beach (soft sand) and used over half a tank of fuel almost 3 quarters. What kind of fuel usage do others get in 4wd?
In realy soft shit at Fraser@16psi tyres about 120kms from full to 75%. Normal on road with 32's 180-220 depending on the foot.

its a good idea to work your tides when beach driving. soft sand = poor fuel economy and hard sand = good fuel economy. plus theres alot less strain on the drive train when driving on a harder surface.

+1 to the above.

Soft sand will murder anyone's fuel economy figures. I remember hitting some really spongy spots on the Ernest Giles Rd (central Aus) and had to floor the thing to keep it moving (we were towing 1.8T at the time which didn't help).

Majority of the beach is soft cant really avoid it. Was in low range most of the time. Tyres were at 12psi

Yeah Jase I was refering to mostly the inland tracks on Fraser being in low range 2nd most of the time. 12psi is getting very low mate, I'd be concerned about rolling the tyre off the rim.

Car was struggling with tyres at 16psi so had to drop them a bit more. I was worried about that to but all was good

It sounds like you've been working the old girl hard hence the poor economy, the sand must of been like talcum powder to have trouble at 16psi. Now that your back on the tar does the economy seem normal?.

Yeah i was working it pretty hard. But tried to keep the revs around 2500rpm. Fuel economy seems normal on road

+1 to the above.

Soft sand will murder anyone's fuel economy figures. I remember hitting some really spongy spots on the Ernest Giles Rd (central Aus) and had to floor the thing to keep it moving (we were towing 1.8T at the time which didn't help).

We travelled the Ernest Giles Road in Sep this year towing a small van, a few corrugations along the way, but all in all a pretty enjoyable ride as dirt roads go I thought.

Latest posts

Back