Fault Code P3- low fuel pressure

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A Drive

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
My 2006 3L D22 Navara (180,000 km) is occasionally giving a hiccup, followed by the MIL light leering at me from the dash. The MIL resets itself when the engine is switched off.
The local dealer checked the computer and told me the fault code was a P3, or P003, indicating that it was coming from the low fuel pressure sensor. He then proceeded to tell me that the fuel pump may be faulty, or that there was a wiring fault or poor connection to the sensor.
Given that the engine starts immediately every time, I'm thinking (hoping) it's a wiring issue, rather than mechanical.
There are a heap of mods to this vehicle, including a chip, low water alarm, cruise control, etc. The dealer advised that to chase down the fault would mean more workshop time, initially disconnecting the add-ons to try and isolate the trouble spot.
Can anyone help me with some suggestions as to the cause, or a likely solution that isn't too expensive?
Cheers,
Alan.

The very first thing I'd do is disconnect the chip.

Some chips modify the return signal from the fuel pressure sensor. I've no idea if that's how yours works, but it's an effective way to trick the ECU into driving the fuel pump harder to deliver more fuel and thus raise the power output of the engine. The low water alarm and CC shouldn't interfere with the fuel pressure (CC will impact throttle control but not rail pressure directly).

The worst you can do is unplug the chip, find the car's now working well, and plug the chip back in and get another couple of years trouble-free, because by unplugging it you managed to clean it.

Can't hurt!

Hi Everyone,
My 2006 3L D22 Navara (180,000 km) is occasionally giving a hiccup, followed by the MIL light leering at me from the dash. The MIL resets itself when the engine is switched off.
The local dealer checked the computer and told me the fault code was a P3, or P003, indicating that it was coming from the low fuel pressure sensor.

i assume you have the zd30 engine.
there is no fuel pressure sensor in them. hes used a code reader which does not work on nissan consult system.

when mil light stays on again, use the manual method to extract codes. no need for code reader and you will get nissans codes which many people on here can tell you what it means.

the procedure is around here somewhere. http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=35136

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back