Always a good idea to clean out the aircon

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GGD22

Reaction score
So if you haven't or not sure if it ever has, be sure to have a look
548663f12a05e9be1806642986ced833.jpg
36c5d46770f6ff1d55418f17f195f537.jpg

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

I absolutely despise having the A/C on in the car! Standing joke with my wife that the A/C will be like new when I trade the Ute. Although I do use it in winter to clear the mist off the windscreen lol!

Haha, well you have probably made a good choice, cant beat having the windows down

Geez that's pretty bad.
I only use mine on the odd chilly morning and to defrost the screen.
I love my window down.

Wouldn't have been helping airflow to the radiator either, with a condensor blocked like that lol.

I usually prefer the windows. Can think of one trip through the desert country where the aircon got a workout basically the whole trip though. It was a godsend. No use winding the window down if it's mid 40's outside, swarming with flies and you're only in first or second gear anyway lol.

Wouldn't have been helping airflow to the radiator either, with a condensor blocked like that lol.

I usually prefer the windows. Can think of one trip through the desert country where the aircon got a workout basically the whole trip though. It was a godsend. No use winding the window down if it's mid 40's outside, swarming with flies and you're only in first or second gear anyway lol.

We do quite a lot of that type of driving Horatius, I haven't ever felt the need for an A/C myself, but the other half does sometimes.

Not sure why, but I seriously dislike A/C in a car.

That's inside the cabin mate.

That's inside the cabin mate.

So that's the evaporator? Jesus lol.

I should have looked closer. I just assumed it was the condensor from the way it was blocked. Never seen an evaporator blocked like that

We do quite a lot of that type of driving Horatius, I haven't ever felt the need for an A/C myself, but the other half does sometimes.

Not sure why, but I seriously dislike A/C in a car.

I concur with your other half in that situation. Not that I would have much choice anyway lol.

I'd love to have a look at this as my AC has a bit of a smell to it. This is the box under the passenger side foot well yeah? Does it just unclip? How did you go about cleaning the actual fins etc?

I'd love to have a look at this as my AC has a bit of a smell to it. This is the box under the passenger side foot well yeah? Does it just unclip? How did you go about cleaning the actual fins etc?
https://youtu.be/7AZBh5jwqIg this video should help a little, as for removing the shit i could peel most of it off but also used a soft kind of brush to get into the fins, its a bit of a **** to get back on since its all a tight space and have to position it right. But the video should help decide if you want to do it

Can you actually do this without removing the evaporator and degassing the AC system? Seems like a struggle to get all the clips off?

Okay I got it eventually. It ain't easy. You just have to cut the seals if you have an old d22 they will likely be almost perished anyway. There are clips at the back corners on the sides which are bastards to get to. I will attach a picture of the box as it sits facing you. Circled yellow is the location of said clips.

Attachments

• IMG_20190615_164521.jpg
    IMG_20190615_164521.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_20190615_171604.jpg
    IMG_20190615_171604.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_20190615_171750.jpg
    IMG_20190615_171750.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 120
Also I take it back. There are two moulds, one front and one back which look like they should have clips but don't, so I think there are only 3 at the front and 3 at the back. I only put one of the back ones on as it is the easiest to reach didn't do the side ones as its pretty well impossible to get your hand up there and also I wanted easy access for if I ever need to replace the evaporator. See pic.

The dirty section on my evap was damp due to the sludge, this caused corrosion in all the fins under it, so when I cleaned the section all the fins pretty much disintegrated. Tried my best to wipe/vacuum the section.

Attachments

• IMG_20190615_180849.jpg
    IMG_20190615_180849.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 67
What is that stuff, dirt? Anyway it looks better then mine did, i found that it was pretty heavily corroded in the fins, the hardest part was trying to get the clips on at the back since i could only feel if they were the actualy clip mould, that was time consuming. also my since my seals were rotting to peices i found that foam tape was a good alternative. Hope it didnt trouble you too much.

Yeah you don't take the ?evaporator out just remove the lower section of the cooling box. As said hardest bit is removing the side clips at the back, I didn't bother putting them back on as the back of the box is held up by the bolts on the firewall underneath the cooling box pretty well. And yeah the stuff on there was a mixture of dirt/grime which was really difficult to remove. Basically just picked all the corroded fins out and use a vacuum cleaner to get as much of it as possible off and create better flow through the evaporator.

Latest posts

Back