d22 2.5L STR lack off power on take off

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomski

Reaction score
Hi All

My name is Tom I am new to this forum

Been reading this forum for a while looks like a very good forum

I wonder
If anybody has the same issue with the new Nissan navara d22 2.5L STR 2011 TD model
Please not the 3L or D40 I need to know about above model.
Only done about 6000 KM so far
I really liked the car until I went to take off on a reasonable hill like say a boat ramp
A car park ramp or steep hill in the city .the car stalled just no power had to put in low range 4wd drive to get up this cant be right, did it 3 times I mean if is raining & you are stopped on a hill what ever get out lock the hubs etc 4wd drive & you can do more than 50 Km in low range get to the top then back into 2WD.
So Please I would like to hear from anybody else having the same kind of issue?
I was told to rev the crap out of it to take off I wont do that never in my life did I have to do that. This is my 4th 4wd 3rd diesel I am so disappoint as this is the first brand new car I ever bought In 40 years which I got after my father died to carry my mother & wheel chair around it seemed ideal low to the ground. Before I got this one I was looking at a second hand hilux,I am so disappointed as everything else on the navara is good.

Hope somebody else has this problem or not as I am going to have the first service in march

Thank you in advance Tomski

It is fairly common with the 2.5lt because they develop all there torque at around 2000rpm.
Blocking the EGR will help a little, but you do have to drive it a little different to any other motor i have owned. I wouldnt say i have had to put my 2.5 in 4x4 before to get up a hill on the tar, and even tho you are not talking about the d40 they are essentially the same motor.

If you do a search you should be able to find other threads on that exact issue

Last edited:
I got the same amount of k's on my 2.5 d22 and I just lift my foot off the clutch and it idles up any incline no problem. But I do agree you need to drive it a little different to other 4wd, it's definently different to the 4.2 cruiser I used to have.

It is fairly common with the 2.5lt because they develop all there torque at around 2000rpm.
Blocking the EGR will help a little, but you do have to drive it a little different to any other motor i have owned. I wouldnt say i have had to put mine 2.5 in 4x4 before and even tho you are not talking about the d40 they are essentially the same motor.

If you do a search you should be able to find other threads on that exact issue

Thanks I believe the D40 has more Kw & torque
D40 126Kw 403Nm
D22 98Kw 304Nm
That’s a big difference for same engine
I mean rev it to 2000 rpm then as soon as you start going rpm drops = square one stalls again. or am I missing something how do you do it ?

tomski

I have the 2.5 D22, I could be imagining things but I drove both the 3L and 2.5 at the time of buying and thought the 2.5 was more responsive, obviously less powerful in KW terms but the torque felt pretty much the same.

anyway maybe you are not holding the clutch on the friction point long enough, like even on the steepest of hills I never need to use the handbrake just give it 1000rpm and a little more clutch than you would on a flat road.

oh and its probably not a good idea to be locking the hubs and engaging 4low on the bitumen you could break something, if you need Low range just pop it in and stay in 2WD so there is still slippage in the drivetrain.

do the egr mod to, helps a fair bit but like if your taking off at 2000rpm that should give you quite a good launch I know I'll get tyre squeal if I take off at those kinds of rpm.

believe it or not this is actually my second 2.5 D22 :sarcastic:

edit: I wonder if its somehow gone into limp mode from something? mine went into it once when I hit this massive puddle at 70kmh and the air intake filled up with water, managed to get it home to (which in hindsight I should have turned it off immediately) but it feels like you have like you have only like 20kw, theres a reset procedure but I cbf finding it.

Last edited:
Thanks I believe the D40 has more Kw & torque
D40 126Kw 403Nm
D22 98Kw 304Nm
That’s a big difference for same engine
I mean rev it to 2000 rpm then as soon as you start going rpm drops = square one stalls again. or am I missing something how do you do it ?

tomski

well my D40 has turbo lag even with the added power, you can feel it when the turbo comes on at around 1700-1900rpm, BUT i have never had to rev mine to 2000rpm to get it to go, even on very steep hill starts.
I would talk to your dealer as that does sound a little odd. As i said i do have to drive this car different to my old 3lt D22 or any other car i have owned fr that matter, BUT if you are getting it up to 2000rpm and it still stalls i would say something is not right.

Last edited:
hi thanks looks like a under powered d22 2.5 str so unhappy with nissan
what other choice do you guys recommend?
money is limited & worried about warranty
maybe a chip?
looked at that but i am a bit very as car is still under warranty done 6000km
need a chip that warrant your engine DPCHIP is one if chip i think for new car.
their chip is good why don't Chip It have the same warranty if car is still under warranty?
they must not believe in their own product
if i chip it then remove chip before each service can they find out if you had the chip?
tomski

theres no way of them telling that the chip has been there if u take it out each time, i would go that way, also just try riding the clutch a bit longer up a steep incline

thanks scooba_285
have to find out which DPCHIP or Chip it
is easier to install & remove
as i read some where Chip it is a bit of a mess to install

tomski

G'day Tomski and welcome to the forum.

It sounds to me like something isn't perfect with your car. They have plenty enough torque normally, so maybe yours has a fuel issue (eg filter/pump/injectors) or maybe the CAS is not aligned properly. It's under warranty, so seeking a third party to fix it will be $ spent where maybe you don't have to.

Putting a chip in it does give it more ponies. What a lot of the chips do is put some resistance in the return signal from the fuel rail pressure sensor, so the ECU thinks it needs to pump a little harder. That's generally not going to be recorded for the service guys to notice, so removing the chip before a service would work.

Is the chip necessary? I don't think so unless you're towing or taking it off-road, as the chip will generally increase fuel consumption. I've driven a D22 manual up a reasonable incline and haven't had to cane it to get it moving.

hi Tony

the hills i was having a problem with
was about 25 m rise in about 200-300m
i am having a service in march & see what they find
when i rang the service manger he sounded like oh not again
this is what they are like so not having much hope that they find anything
also sorry what is CAS ?
what i was trying to do is meet somebody with a same unit to compare with

not towing

thanks Tomski

tell them if they don't want to sort out a fix you'll be in contact with the ACCC, should change their tune ;)

don't know why you want a chip though when something is most likely wrong with your truck that nissan by rights should fix

CAS = Crank Angle Sensor. The ECU uses this so it knows what part of the rotation the crankshaft is at, so it knows which cylinder should have its injectors open and when they should open. If the CAS is misaligned, the injectors could open too early or too late, either of which will cause the engine to run poorly.

Meeting up with another forum member with a similar vehicle and letting them take it out for a short spin would be highly advantageous and cost effective.

where abouts is Rouse Hill? thats a good idea tony, there should be someone near by surely

Hi thanks all
Rouse hill is near kellyville - riverstone - blacktown in Sydney

Thanks for excellent help as I am new to this type of diesel
If somebody wants to test drive or compere my truck i will
Be gratefully should be able to drive from next week as I just had open heart surgery
I would take it anywhere in Sydney to meet up with somebody who has the time.

Thanks again guys
Tomski

Hope you get better soon, Tomski. There's a bunch of people in Sydney - Fatboy might have the 2.5 and a couple of members from over Sutherland way have that model too.

Seems to me that it's a good excuse for a coffee. Let us know when you're well enough to travel!

Mate, I've got a 2010 same engine. The only mod I have done is the egr. Even with bigger tyres, mine would get up a boat ramp no problem. There is no doubt these things are pretty ordinary off the line, but it sounds as if yours isn't right. I'd start with the dealer. With a fully loader camper trailer say 1000kg, I need to give it some berries if starting on an incline, but it wouldn't be 2000 revs.

Best wishes for your recovery after surgery.

I give mine about 2000 rpm and slip the clutch when I'm pulling the boat up out of the water at the boat ramp. For the first 10,000kms or so I found it difficult to manage, either I slipped the clutch too much or too little but I've gotten better at it and now I do it without thinking.

It remains to be seen if doing this will reduce the clutch life but 25,000 so far and no issues.

Mine does have 32" tyres so that makes starting off slightly more difficult, I haven't felt the need for a chip yet though (maybe an exhaust the motor is too quiet!).

I give mine about 2000 rpm and slip the clutch when I'm pulling the boat up out of the water at the boat ramp. For the first 10,000kms or so I found it difficult to manage, either I slipped the clutch too much or too little but I've gotten better at it and now I do it without thinking.

It remains to be seen if doing this will reduce the clutch life but 25,000 so far and no issues.

Mine does have 32" tyres so that makes starting off slightly more difficult, I haven't felt the need for a chip yet though (maybe an exhaust the motor is too quiet!).
I don't think the D22's eat clutches and flywheels like the D40's used to so you should be right.

Latest posts

Back