The D.I.Y. ZD30 remap thread.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I have the basic.
Let me know how I go
Buy second hand ecr and get chips removed and sockets installed.
Buy blank chip for the socket.
Now is it where I lose it. To put a map on do I have to send it somewhere or can I download rumpigs map and use that myself if I get a programmer? And once I get the basic tune on there can most good dump shops flash the chips?

ok read through it a few times now.
I think the best way forward is to get the socket and chips off rumpig preloaded. organise the solder for the socket on a second hand ecu and then plug and play.
the programming is way too much time involved to just learn for my car.
any way ill pm rumpig and see what he can do for me
thanks guys

Excellent thread mate, looks like you've done a great job of wrapping your head around the ECU programming.

I'll reread this thread, but might hit you up soon for a chip.

Also sussing out whats required to socket an EPROM, doesn't look too hard, being a mechanic, I'm pretty comfortable with wiring/soldering.

" I'm pretty comfortable with wiring/soldering "

Me too, but it's pretty small scale stuff, doesn't take much for it to not work.
There's others that can do it.

I've found a few people who can do it for the right price, but I have a spare and I'm a tightass, haha.

I also spoke to the guys at Advanced Vehicle Remapping in Coffs Harbour yesterday about work, as I'm sick of being a normal mechanic, and they do the rechip on the ZD30, and he showed me a dyno sheet, the car was running 33"s but the power went from 60 to 122, said it had a steinbuer plug in chip that only gave it 3hp, he also fitted a dawes valve with the tune.

I'll find out more about it, but was impressed that they doubled the output.

Possibly fixed some other issues with the car as well to achieve that result, I dont know.

Hi Rumpig, awesome work I must say. I have sent you a pm in regards to some chips etc.
i read a lot of discussion around limp mode / fuel cut etc earlier in the thread and there was a lot of talk about being boost related, not sure about the navara platform but with the Di patrol limp mode is induced by too much air through the MAF sensor at a given rpm etc caused by intake / exhaust mods and needle valves for changing the boost ramp rate etc. Does the Nav only run a map and not a MAF as well ? Some people got around it by clipping the MAF voltage (not the best solution though)

Hi Havoc,
The Navara only has a MAP and the fuel cut kicks in at 18 psi, probably to stop the compressor wheel from coming apart from over speeding . Not a bad thing on the factory turbo.

Hey Rumpig,

Sending you a PM, keen to jump on board this remapped bandwagon!

Cheers
Ryan

Well I finally got my ECU socketed and Derek's chips fitted to it and I'm happy to say that the results are as amazing as expected. That flat spot in the lower revs is gone and the power delivery is much more consistent and linear.

Derek, you have really worked wonders here figuring this all out from scratch. Then making it available to us is the cherry on the cake. Thanks again mate!

Thanks Rinmak , there was no point learning how to do it then keeping the info to myself.

Now the info is out there, there are companies doing it for Navaras and the Patrols at a reasonable price which is what I was hoping would happen, we're no longer the orphans of the tuning world.

My ECU with chip has now done Cape york and the Simpson Desert along with lots of other trips and has been exceptional, thanks

For anyone that might be doing there own remaps, to defeat the boost cut at 18 psi there is a 2d map at address 3BEB2 . The raw values are 2000, give it a 0.1 factor and it becomes 200mbar which is 3 psi . Change it to 600mbar and boost cut will be 24 psi which is out of the MAP sensor range.

Attachments

• 3BEB2 Overboost margin.JPG
    3BEB2 Overboost margin.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 280
The map at 3BC2A is the "start of injection" limiter by temp. This limits the maximum injection point. There's no power gains from starting injection earlier but advancing it as you inject more fuel keeps EGT's down.

Attachments

• 3BC2A SOI limiter by temp.JPG
    3BC2A SOI limiter by temp.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 217
The map at 397C2 limits the TPS voltage in 1st and 2nd gear, before adding 25% to it I was only getting 1.7 volts in first and 2nd , after it's around 2.7v.
Didn't really seem to make any notable difference to pedal sensitivity.

Attachments

• 397C2 Pedal  voltage 1st 2nd.JPG
    397C2 Pedal voltage 1st 2nd.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 207
Finally got my ute going with the new chips.. Man what a difference it makes. Your a legend Rumpig.
I gave my ECU to a avionics guy I know thinking he knew what he was doing..guess not.. I pulled the cover off and took the chips out to find he hadnt chopped the plastic centres out before soldering the sockets on. What a mess. I managed to ping them off without removing the sockets then a trip down to Jaycar to buy some solder wick, flux and a $20 set of magnifying goggs and off I went.. got it all cleaned up and running after 2 false starts. Took a bit of cleaning up between the pins and a couple of resolders and she was away
Wasn't as hard as I hard thought.
If there are any Kiwi lads having trouble with finding someone to fit their sockets I reckon I could do it again, drop me a PM
Very impressed with your work Rumpig.. highly reccomend anyone with a stock Z30 to get
a set off him

sold the old Navara a while back. Still have the chipped ECU if anyone interested make me an offer. Located in NZ

Hey Rumpig excellent thread! and extremely impressed with all the work and effort and amount of perseverance that has gone into nutting it all out to get it to this stage. Very keen on replacing the ecu/chip in my relatively stock 2004 zd30 Navara... although it now has a 3" exhaust and shortly a front mount intercooler. Im based in Perth and was going to take the ute down to UNITED DIESEL here for a rolling chip and tune which I've heard good things about but after reading this thread (which was a fantastic read) I cant really see them improving on all the work you've put into this so if Philb still has his chip and ECU would happily grab that but otherwise would you still have or be selling re-mapped chips? Good to know there's a guy locally who will solder them extremely keen to do it myself (also think I have played around soldering enough to do this... but having read what everyone wrote here might just pass that job on) Tried to download the map zip file which didn't work for me is that still available? would like to have both options to flash 15psi and the 17psi or simply get 2 chips loaded with the different maps and be able to swap as I make changes to the ute.

Hi Beachdaz,
i'm not suppling chips anymore and i'm not sure if Kevin at EFI autoparts is still socketing ecu's anymore. If Philb doesn't have his for sale anymore E.C.P.T https://ecpt.com.au are highly regarded and do a mail order service, or try looking for Jamie Knobel on the d22 facebook page , he may be doing socketing and chips also.

Hey Rumpig, managed to get a hold of one of your chips/ecu's from a guy over east and just installed it last week. HAPPY AZ!!! made a world of difference driveabilty as a 'car' is so much better especially around the city rev ranges still have the intercooler to go but its half way there. I can now appreciate all your hard work every time I put my foot down :) ...much appreciated :)

hi, the boost limiter isn't off by air pressure sensor but the maf.
air pressure sensor map is desactived after temp engine up 50°c.
you can bloc map maf and always work with map pressure

Latest posts

Back