2006 D40 Navara

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeahthenavvy

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm looking at a 2006 D40 Navara. It's a 2.5 Turbo diesel 6 speed manual. It's got 190K on the clock and it's listed at $7,950 at a registered dealership. I'm concerned the price is too low and there is some internal faults within the car my knowledge is fairly low I'm just looking around at the moment what do you guys think?
Cheers.

Welcome to the forum.

It's bloody cheap. See if you can poke at the chassis for any signs of rust (it'll be more likely on the inside, around the bends that occur just behind the cabin). Take it for a drive and see what it does at 90-100km/h. Take it to a hill and try to accelerate up it (try to go easy in first because that's meaningless, but give it a bit of boot in second). If it starts to give up the ghost (there's always lag at low revs, but not once you get over 1500rpm) you might have a problem with the SCV or the turbo (first is cheap, second is about $1K). Make sure it doesn't whine in any gear (you might get a slight whine in reverse but that's normal in most vehicles).

The 2006 model suffered from wheel bearing issues, turbocharger actuator/control solenoid faults, poor SCVs and the manuals had dual mass flywheels that could cook the clutch/pressure plate under stress (reversing a caravan into a steep driveway, pulling a boat out of the water etc).

None of those problems are difficult to overcome except the rust.

Thank you for the warm welcome.
I'll be sure to check for any signs of rust definitely. Thank you for your input and I'll make sure to ask the important questions I've heard about the clutch issues, just for interest sake how long do you think the D40 engine will go for on average?
Cheers.

It's a difficult question to actually answer. Mine's done 270,000km and we're taking on another 3500km or so this coming week with an interstate trip (towing the van). Compared to a daily driver, mine's worked fairly hard. She's had some parts replaced - rear diff rebuild and a turbocharger being the larger ticket items. Smaller items like my SCV, boost control solenoid, clock spring have needed replacing too. Actually the clock spring is bloody annoying me, I think my 3rd has started to go - I am not convinced it's the best design, but I can't change it (easily). I do have a habit of using my steering wheel a lot - rather than just nudge the wheel and hope to make the bend, I give it a good workout. I'm probably my own worst enemy!

With that said, it's still a great car for us. Still pulls like a train, there's no sign of the motor itself giving up, so if I was to estimate the expected life I'll get out of my truck I'd have to point somewhere in the 400-500K mark. Is that average? I don't know for sure, there's quite a few owners here who traded up (or jumped ship) with their cars 200K+. Some went for the Ranga but they weren't to know that the Ranga has a shit oil pump.

Yea that ranger engine oil pump situation certainly seems to be a bit crap
Been hearing a lot about it lately from owners and mechanics

my 06 (auto) is still going strong at 230k. apart from transmission issue which i have lived with for 170k, the only issues i've had, is the replacement of 2 alternator clutch pulleys and a suspect boost solenoid. Engine still runs like a dream, gets an oil and filter(ryco) change every 10k, and the occasional fuel filter!
still on the original front discs, but they need changing when the pads are done!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back