Just got a 3l 2005 nav, wondering what mods i can install first to help motor last.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David_s95

Reaction score
Hey all my names Dave, there's probably a few threads out there explaining what few mods i can do to increase longer life of the motor, i'm thinking on a top or front mounted intercooler, catch can and an exhaust, my main goal in to reduce fuel consumption and a bit more power. let me know of what yous think i should do cheers.

a couple of things that will help with more power are ; a good exhaust system from turbo back 3 inch diameter, many guys say the Chip-It works well.
if your engine has never had the EGR blocked via a blocking plate its a good idea to do this but depending how many K,s on the clock you might have to remove the inlet manifold and clean out the inners to remove all the soot build up before you fit the egr plate. keep your engine oil and oil filter clean, 5 k for these and every 10k for the fuel filter , these engines love clean oil and clean fuel. yes do the catch can as well [ provert are good ]

Thanks for that! it's got 190000 kms, i'm the second owner, he got it brand new off the self 2005 and done a service every 7,000/10,000kms. It's in really good condition but is there anyway to determine if there's a build up of soot in the manifold without pulling it all apart? I've looked a bit into the EGR block plate but isn't it illegal? she doesn't blow any black smoke but a bit thirsty

catch can is a must.
big exhaust helps. cheap version is to change the muffler.
intercooler helps with performance and acts as a bits catcher should the turbo fail. thats stops bits of turbo going through the engine and destroying it.

egr and butterfly mod. simple version is to just do the butterfly mod.

to prolong the life of the injection pump better filters and most importantly higher flow filter(s). using twin (in parallel) filters is a good idea.
a diesel lift pump and spill mod is also good.

Yeah cheers mate, the catch can is the first thing i was doing for sure!, so what do both of those mods (egr+ butterfly mod and diesel pump spill) do and how does it work?

The whole problem revolves around the ECU using a MAF sensor only.
If it gives low reading then the ECU will call for more boost and less fuel.
If it gives high reading it will drop boost and overfuel.
MAF gives wrong readings because it gets coated with fumes from rocker cover breather.
Good oil catch can will stop the MAF getting coated. A can of MAF cleaner will get rid of the coating.
Also get ECUTalk or some other diagnostics (NDS1) so you can keep an eye on what the ECU inputs and outputs are.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

The whole problem revolves around the ECU using a MAF sensor only.
If it gives low reading then the ECU will call for more boost and less fuel.
If it gives high reading it will drop boost and overfuel.
MAF gives wrong readings because it gets coated with fumes from rocker cover breather.
Good oil catch can will stop the MAF getting coated. A can of MAF cleaner will get rid of the coating.
Also get ECUTalk or some other diagnostics (NDS1) so you can keep an eye on what the ECU inputs and outputs are.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

no MAF on that engine. MAP only.

Latest posts

Back