Illuminator Spot light & wiring harness

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvstnholl

Reaction score
Hey, i have purchased 9" spotties from 4wd supacentre and also there wiring harness to suit the spotties.
my question is the harness plugs into the high beam plug, where abouts is this located? on a 2010 d22
I've had a quick look with no luck.

(hoping these are not too big for the nissan bullbar either :p)

Edit*
i think i have worked it out, i found a photo on there website of the and it plugs into the headlight connection, is there a specific side?

Last edited:
Nah, left or right won't make any difference. You're better off putting it on the right probably so you can put the 12v feed onto the driver's side battery.

Sent from my 5042G using Tapatalk

Well, I didn't get in quick enough - dinner played a role in that, gotta admit the steak with potato bake was awesome!

Ahh, so it's a D22 ... of course, the dual battery question ... where's my head tonight? I am not sure of a path in through the firewall for the driving light switch if any, hopefully someone with a D22 can help you with that.

Doesn't really matter which headlight you choose. The H4 plug has 3 wires - earth, low beam and high beam. It's the high beam wire that's being tapped into - and since both headlights have it, the choice is yours. My personal preference is "the headlight closest to the battery" which in your case (since the left hand side battery is going to be an aux battery) is the right hand headlight.

The two styles of headlight switching are:

Ordinary (traditional?) - have a look at the image in the first post on this page. Ground is always negative, and low or high beam is chosen by activating one or other of the remaining pins.

New style - the ground and positive swaps around, making the addition of driving lights different so the standard harness does NOT work. We found that the earth (or common) pin was negative on low beam, with the low beam being positive, but on high beam the high beam pin went negative and the earth/common pin became positive. Adding driving lights to this just means pin 85 goes to the common pin, and pin 86 to the high beam.

Of course, if you want to swich the driving lights in the new scheme independently, you need a second relay. Still easy: the first relay has pin 30 connected to battery as expected, but instead of pin 87 passing power to the driving lights, it connects to pin 85 AND pin 30 of another relay. Pin 86 of this second relay connects to a single wire passing in from the cabin, which goes to a switch which is connected to earth (so you're earth switching, which will never short out, and leaves just that single wire to deal with - neat). Pin 87 of the second relay is connected to driving lights.

So, to answer your question - if nobody else can answer it - just test the polarity of the earth pin on the headlight and you'll have your answer!

A d22 will be always negative with the positive switching for low and high beam. What has the new spotlight harness got? A male and female 3 pin plug that patches into the stock 3 pin plug setup or something else?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

A d22 will be always negative with the positive switching for low and high beam. What has the new spotlight harness got? A male and female 3 pin plug that patches into the stock 3 pin plug setup or something else?

Thanks,
Uhm the harness comes set for positive switching but they you how to change to pin setup for negative switching

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I take the view that if you connect the spotty relay coil across the high beam filaments then it does not matter which system it is. The relay will energise when the high beam comes on, no thinking required. Can't see the point of pre-wired harnesses but then I have a lot of stuff lying around.

I take the view that if you connect the spotty relay coil across the high beam filaments then it does not matter which system it is. The relay will energise when the high beam comes on, no thinking required. Can't see the point of pre-wired harnesses but then I have a lot of stuff lying around.
That's a good opinion, however, some models on vehicle have the +12v feed to the lights constantly and when you move the stalk to activate high beam, the ground circuit is completed and there is light. Holden had this setup on a vt commodore I was helping someone fit spotlights to at some stage. You simply use the earth from pin 85 on the relay to tap into the harness, instead of the 12v feed into pin 86, that is just wired to constant power...

It would still work though. Power can only flow when a circuit is created and since relays aren't polarised, positive on one side and no connection on the other still means off.

The time that it will cause a problem is when the "earth" feed to the lights leaks a little. Full current could be drawn through the relay coil - I expect it will not outlast the headlight relay's contacts or the headlight fuse.

Yeah re-reading it, I can see the point JLA was trying to get across. I had the wrong thought of what he meant in my head when I replied to that... I guess that's one way to tell if your high beam globe is blown haha

Latest posts

Back