After 2yrs my thoughts

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its not about if they can handle it. they all handle it because they are built to handle it.
but they are all bigger and heavier.
even the ford ranger is bigger and heavier than the D23.

The new V6 Mercedes X series is based on Navara platform, the navara is basically the same size as every other dual cab available, tiny bit bigger than some and tiny bit smaller than some, I dont know where you are going with this?

The new V6 Mercedes X series is based on Navara platform, the navara is basically the same size as every other dual cab available, tiny bit bigger than some and tiny bit smaller than some, I dont know where you are going with this?
i would say basically same size. ranger is certainly bigger, doesn't fit through the gate posts as well as the navaras as the boss found the hard way.
ranger is also heavier.

the point here as everything gets more powerful it also gets heavier and bigger.
where do you stop ?
at what point have you simply gone up a class and now have just another big ute of which there is loads of makes/models.

big factor will be price, i suspect the v6 merc is going to loose out terribly to the bigger utes as you can get much more powerful truck for the same $$.

You are partly right Kevin, our last rip right out far western NSW and QLD all the cockies either have a Cruiser tray back or a Hilux, you don't see too much else where the tourists don't go, in fact you don't see much of anything.

Hi Lloyd, we've been out there too, quite a few times.

Western NSW:

Outback Qld:

Also visited the touristy stuff & the not so touristy stuff elsewhere, the Gibb River Road – Bungle Bungles – Parry’s Lagoons – Lake Argyle – Derby – Wyndham - Old Jim Jim Road – Kakadu – Litchfield - Rainbow Valley – Oodnadatta Track – Peake ruins – Mereenie Loop – Palm Valley – King’s Canyon - Chambers Pillar – Dalhousie – Eringa Water Hole (x2) - Old Ghan Heritage Track – Charlotte Waters (x2) – Alice Springs (x12) - The Painted Desert – Lambert’s Centre – Finke – Cameron Corner – Innamincka via Epsilon – Dig Tree – Milparinka (x2) – Silver City Hwy (x2 when it was a dirt road) - Tibooburra (x2) - Warri Gate (x2) – Noccundra (x2) – Hungerford – Toompine - Betoota – Windorah – Birdsville – Big Red – Mt. Dare – Birdsville Track – Strzlecki Track - Marree (x4) – Darwin (x3) – Timber Creek (x2) – Old Hall’s Creek – Fitzroy Crossing - Roper Bar – Nathan River Road - Lorella Springs – Borroloola – Savannah Way - Hells Gate – Doomadgee – Burketown – North Gregory – Cloncurry – Winton – Longreach – Tambo – Charleville – Eromanga – Thargominda – Eulo – Quilpie – Cunnamulla – Bourke – Cobar – Wilcannia – Broken Hill – Silverton – Wentworth - Gawler Ranges – Pildappa Rock – Brachina (x many) – Bunyeroo (x many) – Aroona (x2) – Warraweena – Glass Gorge – Parachilna Gorge – Moralana (x4) – Holowiliena – N’dala Gorge – Arltunga - Binns Track – Gemtree - Plenty Hwy -Camooweal - Eastern MacDonnell Ranges (x3) - Western MacDonnell Ranges (x4) - Ernest Giles Road - Pine Valley - the Wool Wash – Wilkawillina - Kangaroo Island (x2). Flinders ranges (x20) - Whyalla to Iron Baron – Arkaroola – Nepabunna - Waukaringa

Ironically, some of the most remote places we've traveled are quite close to home. The area between Morgan SA & Yunta is quite "empty", as is the area north east of broken hill (I classify remote as not only isolated, but a lack of traffic flow in isolated areas too).

We see quite a few vehicles on our travels, even saw a massive 2 WD motor-home in Lorella Springs, although how the hell he got in there, I'll never know! Don't see many D40's though lol! Until a few years ago, it was 80% Toyota, but that has changed a lot in recent times.

i would say basically same size. ranger is certainly bigger, doesn't fit through the gate posts as well as the navaras as the boss found the hard way.
ranger is also heavier.

the point here as everything gets more powerful it also gets heavier and bigger.
where do you stop ?
at what point have you simply gone up a class and now have just another big ute of which there is loads of makes/models.

big factor will be price, i suspect the v6 merc is going to loose out terribly to the bigger utes as you can get much more powerful truck for the same $$.

Our utes have small engines, they don't need small engines, its just what the manufacturers are feeding us, they could easily fit a V10 or V8 if they wanted, now it looks like Ford is putting a2litre twin turbo diesel in the Ranger.

Our utes have small engines, they don't need small engines, its just what the manufacturers are feeding us, they could easily fit a V10 or V8 if they wanted, now it looks like Ford is putting a2litre twin turbo diesel in the Ranger.
the reason for the small size is its the only way to pass the emission standards.
if it wasn't for that we would have much bigger engines and not need dual turbo's or mega high pressure injection systems.

its not so much size of engine (but engine weight does count) but more torque means bigger heavier drive line. everything just gets a bit heavier.

don't forget early navaras only had small diesels.
i think the first one we had was a 720 with a 2.3 or 2.5 atmo diesel. even the later d21's where still 2.5 then 2.7 atmo.
same with hiluxs, early ones where 2.2 atmo diesels, then 2.4.

the reason for the small size is its the only way to pass the emission standards.
if it wasn't for that we would have much bigger engines and not need dual turbo's or mega high pressure injection systems.

its not so much size of engine (but engine weight does count) but more torque means bigger heavier drive line. everything just gets a bit heavier.

don't forget early navaras only had small diesels.
i think the first one we had was a 720 with a 2.3 or 2.5 atmo diesel. even the later d21's where still 2.5 then 2.7 atmo.
same with hiluxs, early ones where 2.2 atmo diesels, then 2.4.

That being said you can still get V6 and V8 diesels eg: VW Toureg and these suvs are smaller than a dual cab. The manufacturers quote current small capacity diesels are producing big engine torque numbers anyways.

That being said you can still get V6 and V8 diesels eg: VW Toureg and these suvs are smaller than a dual cab. The manufacturers quote current small capacity diesels are producing big engine torque numbers anyways.

suv's yes they do. most suv's have more power/torque output than their ute version. even the new amarok v6 is a detuned version of the suv engine.

Latest posts

Back