Engine Light, Shudders and Runs Rough on Highway

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve O

Reaction score
Hi all,
Have just purchased my second 2005 zd30 D22 and have come across this issue. Purchased the car from a deceased estate so hadnt been driven much and took it to the mechanic who changed all filters and oils and gave it a once over for all clear.
I was driving it onto the free way after driving for about 35 minutes and accelerating off a long left hand on ramp when the car seemed to shudder (similar feeling to a boost cut) and the engine light came on. Pulled over and turned it off and on again and was fine for about 10 km when once again it happened. As i only had 1/4 tank and thought it may have been old/bad diesel I filled up and added injector cleaner and the car drove fine to my destination about 35 minutes away at 100 km/h. Left the car for 2 hours and started the drive home. About 30 minutes in it happened again, lost power for a fraction of a second and engine light. I kept driving for a bit to find a safe spot to pull over and the engine was seriously struggling, and running rough. This kept happening as I tried to get it home except by the end of it turning the car off would only have it driving well for a minute or two.

Took it to the mechanic and no fault codes, plus he couldnt get it to happen. I drove it this morning for an hour around town to get it to replicate but once again wouldnt happen. Any advice as I'm meant to be going on a decent length camping trip and would want this sorted well before I end up hitting the tracks.

Thanks guys

try pulling the fault codes yourself. some code readers don;t work with nissans system.
info on here somewhere.
typically if theres engine theres fault code.

i would also check the fuel filter. could have water or diesel bug and its gummed up the filter.

Yeah I'll have to get my hands on a reader for the codes while its playing up. Its a new filter so I'll check if its got crud already, otherwise I was thinking maybe air is slowly getting in the lines while driving?

no need for a reader, just a bit of wire to short the pins.

could be air if the filter is not on right. tho sometimes what happens is clogged up filter makes it suck air through any bad join/seal.

attachment.php

count the flashes of the error light.
will have a series of short flashes and long flashes.

Thanks, may be a stupid question but when the engine is turned off the code clears. Would this still work as the engine would be on, or should I grab an OBD2?

That procedure will let you check stored codes. I'd give it a try anyway, it may be stored so it's worth a shot.

An obd2 tool won't work with the zd30. I have seen on here people having wine success with nds (Nissan data scan), but that required an adaptor. The other option you have is ecutalk, but I'm not sure how expensive that is.

Last edited:
Damn, May end up having to get it to do it then drive to a dealer. Had it scanned yesterday an no stored codes. Main thing is I want to know as early as possible if the injector pump is on the way out to start putting aside $$$

Thanks, may be a stupid question but when the engine is turned off the code clears. Would this still work as the engine would be on, or should I grab an OBD2?

its not OBD2, its nissan consult. trouble is some readers won't work with it or give incorrect codes to it, because they are OBD2 readers not consult reader.
hence why its easier just to bridge the terminals and read the flashes.

CRANK POS SEN (TDC) 0407
ACCEL POS SENSOR 0403
VEHICLE SPEED SEN 0104
P3×PUMP COMM LINE 0703

i would have a look at the earths and also battery connection.
also check cables for and mouse/rat damage. if its been sitting around something may have eaten a few cables.
only had a quick look but looks like the power side is common to quite a few of those fault codes.

the other thing is to drive it until it faults then check codes again. it could have been parked up because it had an issue and the codes are from checking things.

Thanks mate. Will check it. Turned it off and rechecked and it cleared the codes. Drove home and after 30 mins happened again. Turned off and on and was fine to drive another 30 mins. Checked the codes at home and only had 0703 remaining. Correct me if I'm wrong but if not connections to pump or air in fuel line probably up for a new injector pump?

if its not an earth issue, pump connections, ecu connections/earth then yes its probably pump electronics going which is common.
not as costly as a full pump rebuild.

as always check the cheap things first.

Ruled everything out and unfortunately it's the pump. Mechanic thinks it's more likely pump itself than the electrics due to how it plays up. Spewing

Latest posts

Back