long time member first post!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChunkD21

Reaction score
Hi guys,
It's been a while considering i sold my old black faithful Ti 93 model V6 4x2 dual cab just over 12 months ago when i first become a member. But i did go for an X-Trail when i sold Black Betty.
I'm looking at getting another "Narva" which would be my 3rd each of them different. After looking around i think i might have found one worth while having a look at.
Nissan Navara king cab - eBay, Passenger Vehicles, Cars, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 09-Sep-10 10:42:02 AEST)
It's still up for grabs, hopefully no one on here will take it for granted and seek the chance on what im looking at!
But im asking for some help on what i should look for to tell me if its a goer or not.
Been talking to the owner and what you see on the ad is what he has told me also.
Do you think it is worth the money he is asking?
thanks cheers
Adrian

It doesn't look like a bad vehicle. Dion could tell you more about the engine/gearbox and any known issues. It's got 310K on it, which means it's definitely an old girl. Might be a few more $ to part with before you're happy with it too, but I don't think it's a bad old girl.

Is it worth the money? I'm not sure I'd pony up $3500 for it. If the claims are correct - second owner, always serviced - it might not be a bad buy.

$3500 is way too much. Serviced or not the engine and fifth gear in the gearbox would be very tired by now. I've seen the V6 go to 500,000km strongly but the Z24 struggles.

No problems besides that.

I second what Dion said.

It needs a respray aswell, look for one in better nick that a P plater hasn't owned.

Dave.

Thanks for the feed back guys! $2700 is what im looking at so far without even seeing the truck. I need to get myself away from the fact it is a king cab which is what im after but not willing to fork out big $$$ to upgrade what is wrong also.
When i do go have a look what should i do to find out whats up with fifth gear?
All i'm after is a truck that is easy to maintain, horse power and paint isn't a big deal. A gear down and some rust proof paint easy fix.
Going through the forum i see that there isn't to much of a problem with choice of gearboxes considering many models bolt straight up.
Going on what has been said on this post what would be the norm for price on a truck like this?
Adrian.

Thanks for the feed back guys! $2700 is what im looking at so far without even seeing the truck. I need to get myself away from the fact it is a king cab which is what im after but not willing to fork out big $$$ to upgrade what is wrong also.
When i do go have a look what should i do to find out whats up with fifth gear?
All i'm after is a truck that is easy to maintain, horse power and paint isn't a big deal. A gear down and some rust proof paint easy fix.
Going through the forum i see that there isn't to much of a problem with choice of gearboxes considering many models bolt straight up.
Going on what has been said on this post what would be the norm for price on a truck like this?
Adrian.

Adrian,

You won't be able to swap a bigger/different gearbox straight onto that motor, only a replacement one. To see if fifth gear is sad, see if it makes a failing bearing noise in neutral, clutch out. On the move, fourth gear will be quiet and fifth gear will be noisy but it's hard to hear the bearings at speed. Try to get an honest answer out of the owner about how much towing they do. Maybe frame the question in a way that they will boast about how much it can tow based on their experience, that will quickly tell you if they do much towing with it. That seems to be what stuffs these gearboxes.

WITHOUT RWC, for an '87 Z24 with alloy tray and 300,000+ I wouldn't go past about $2000. You're really on borrowed time with that many kays on a Z24. Good replacement motors don't exist, you'd be looking at a rebuild or a swap, both are expensive, difficult options with results full of compromises.

WITH RWC, you could add about $400 and go to $2400 but you'd want to be blown away on the test drive by how tight and fresh the driveline feels.

You'll find another King Cab easily. Ones with styleside tubs are rare, they will command a premium and look great.

The diesel model is easy to maintain and will last out to 500,000 if well looked after, but horsepower definitely isn't on the agenda and there is still the same gearbox problem.

I understand that you're keen on this truck - the only issue is that the owner has obviously pumped a bit of money into it recently, and is reluctant to go below $2700, but really the money spent on it was going nowhere if they decided to sell as that motor and gearbox with that mileage is dragging the price down. $2700 is 87 Hilux territory.

Well it's done!
After thinking for a while an doing more looking around on here and other nav's i decided to buy the King Cab.
After a bit of talking to the owner i parted with just on $2100, went an had a look at it a few weeks ago and found out it has a reco gearbox put in about 18 months ago. Also found out in 97 it had a lpg system hooked up to it, but in 2007 it was taken out for rego in NSW.
So know it's time to take it to get a roadworthy done to the old girl.
She handles well and everything seems to be in order, so hopefully it wont take much.

Latest posts

Back