Chip it Diesel Chip Issue

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbrew

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just after some help as my Nav has recently started to playing up. i have a 2008 D40 Turbo Diesel. I havent really paid attention to the Diesel Chip, but recently the chip has been changing its number quite dramatically. i dont have a handbook to refer to and i cannot find information on the internet for it either.
i have lost all power and boost seems to be really laggy.
My nav never used to lose power going up hills and never used to soot like it does now.
Changing from 19 to 29 to 28 than 42 in a day. Does any particular numbers mean any errors?
Help is much needed as ive paid alot for this car to look and performe good.

Welcome to the forum.

I don't have a chip, but in my experience erratic "random" issues like the numbers jumping about would be caused either by a failure of the unit (not so likely) or an electrical connection that isn't perfect (very highly likely). It happens often after pressure washing the engine bay - not a good thing to do, although many dealerships apparently do it including Klosters in Newcastle where I bought mine - I watched them do it!

That might be the only thing that's wrong. The chip interacts with the injectors, fuel rail pressure and turbocharger boost, so I'd check the chip's connections (all of them). I would also like to see what happens to your boost pressure when the chip is removed. There may be a fault in the boost control solenoid (BCS). This little devil sits on the hardpipe for the intercooler near the alternator. You can't miss it - it has 3 vacuum hoses and one electrical connection. To test if it's wrong, trace the vac hose that comes over the top of the motor, remove it from the BCS and connect it directly to the turbocharger and take the car for a drive. Be gentle - the turbo will be at full boost the whole time, and won't back off quickly, so you could easily overboost. But you'll notice the difference in performance immediately, if the BCS was dead. If so, there are two choices:

1) Replace the BCS with another BCS. Bursons do it for about $280. Repco probably the same. EvilBay has plenty of them and they might suffice. Replacing it means the Diesel Chip can still control it.

2) Replace the BCS with something like a Tillix valve. That's what I've done, but my car isn't chipped so all I needed was something more reliable than the BCS (I had replaced it twice already). Look, no surprise really, it's a valve that oscillates at 100 times per second and my car's done over 277,000km (2009 model). You'll lose control with the chip, the chip might not like it.

I can't think of much more at the moment. I don't recall many complaints of the chips failing, so see what happens with the above.

have you tried to drive it with the chip disconnected?

i had a similar issue like you and Tony, not a drastic loos of power, but on occasions it felt gutless,
replaced with a genuine boost control solenoid, and is all good now. research the Tillix valve Tony talks about first before buying anything!

Thankyou that is very helpful information.
I did check the wiring once i noticed a change in performance, much to my disgust the previous owner had turned all the wires into a rats nest. i located the Chips Wires and turns out the wires are twisted together and electical taped together!!
Also i did recently give her a wash due to being muddy, although i stayed away from the engine bay, but did spray the grill where most of the horrid wires are hidden behind in the corner :(
My next move was to the diconnect the chip, but due to the horrific amount of wires tangled up it was a headache from the get go, and needs a weekend to sort it out.
Ive also noticed i might have done a Head so everything is just all going down hill at once, lucky me.

Last edited:
There is a plug available to bypass the chip and restore to factory values. I’d immediately suspect a wireing problem caused by snagging or dirty/ loose connections given your spaghetti description. The connections are just a snap lock plastic job. Remove and number each connector then clean with MAF sensor cleaner. Reinstall and see if the problem is still there. You say you have head problems we all miss out on that later on in life. What issue does the car have that makes you suspect this?.

Last edited:
The chip it module is nothing special...mere a basic rail chip, all it does it up your rail pressure. Sort those connections out and I'm 90% sure your problems will go away

Id suggest doing what I did with my chip it chop.
Remove it
And throw in as far as humanly possible away from your ute.

Latest posts

Back