D40 Combination switch mod for foglights

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malicious

Reaction score
So straight out of the factory the D40 has wiring for foglights in the front bar.
Nissan sell a kit to do this which includes two lamps and brackets and a new headlight comination switch, issue is the price $$$$$$

A few people have asked is it possible to make it all work with an external switch, answer is YES......

Cost under $10 to however much you want to spend on switches and of course your choice of foglights, ( check the bin at the local 4wd shop suprising what they chuck out)

Remove the two torx head screws holding the lower cover under the steering column, remove the lower cover.

Pop out the combination switch , it has two white tabs holding it in,one top and one bottom.

Remove the two screw and pop open the rear cover of the switch assy.

On the board where it is marked D2 we need to solder a suitable diode in this location a suitable diode is available from Jaycar CAT . NO. ZR 1070
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=ZR1070
problem is you have to buy 10

Next solder some wire to the points on the board marked a & B ,
run these cable out through a slot in the side of the white case

I used some phone cable I had.

Reassemble the switch and install it back in the navara.

run the cable to a switch of your choosing , it must however have discrete contacts, ie no lamp across them , if you are using and illuminated switch use a relay as we are switching a BCM logic circuit.

the result is the fog light indicator will illuminate on the dash and fog lights will now work.

Last edited:
Thread has been stickied. I'm running out of places to put switches in my car, I think I have just one left - and I also think this is gonna be what it's for!

Thanks Mal, that's excellent work, mate. Absolutely excellent.

So, in theory, you could use this to take power from the front fog lights (for those that don't have them) and use the cable and the ebay-link adapters to wire in your spotlights / light bar and have an Icon on the dash to show you that they are on? Am I reading that correctly?

So, in theory, you could use this to take power from the front fog lights (for those that don't have them) and use the cable and the ebay-link adapters to wire in your spotlights / light bar and have an Icon on the dash to show you that they are on? Am I reading that correctly?
Yeah you could but it means you could use driving lights when just on park lights

If I read this correctly, you're saying that if I have factory foglights, this will enable me to use them with the park lights and not solely when the headlights are on?

Auto off feature would be great, I have the stx 550 and thought this would be standard.

Great work on the fog light fix by the way

Cheers Rob

Hi Guys,
I presume if you didn't want to change out the indicator stalk, there would be a relay somewhere that is already wired / powered that you could change over the switch to be a different switch you install yourself? Would this be another way of using the OEM harness (with exception of back to switch wiring?)

The relay is solid state in the later ones it is located in the IPDM , which is then linked via data bus to BCM, so you can tap into the factory harness in there but won't be able to use the existing relay or have the indicator display in the dash

driving lights

Do you think that the fog lamp 2 x 55W circuitry would handle 2 x 100 W driving light load?

Don't worry about whether or not it will handle it, work around it.

1x 40A 12V relay will do the trick. Wiring goes like this:

Battery positive to 20A fuse to pin 30 on the relay.

Battery negative to pin 86 on the relay and to the black (if black + red) or blue (if blue + brown) wires on the fog lights. You could just use the negative feed from the fog light output, but I think the current might be too much - better to be safe than sorry.

Fog light output positive wire (multimeter to test) connects to pin 85 of the relay.

Red (or brown) wire on the fog light itself connects to pin 87 of the relay. Job finished.

Now, when the fog lights come on, the only power going through the fog light circuit is the power required to activate the relay (a couple of milliamps). The high power required by the 100W lights is being passed through the relay (16.6A roughly, the 20A fuse protects and 40A relay doesn't blow itself to bits on the first outing).

The only thing that might cause a problem is if the BCM is monitoring the power passing through to the fog lights (like it monitors the power going to the indicators). If it does, it may choose to NOT illuminate the fog light indicator on the dash.

Latest posts

Back