Wiring stereo - '98 DX non-standard colours (no harness)

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrAussen

Reaction score
Hi all,

Aerpro website specifically says no harness exists for some earlier D22 models, and I'm pretty sure mine falls into this category. So, looks like I'm gonna have to cut the factory connector and wire ISO connectors. Forgive me if my terminology is off haha, not exactly an old hand at this stuff.

What I'm looking at on the factory end is a single connector, separated into 4 pin and 6 pin by a gap.

4 pin area:
Pink wire with blue stripe and pink band
Green wire with white stripe

6 pin area:
Brown wire
Brown wire with white stripe
Black wire
Black wire with white stripe
Red wire with green stripe and pink band

Seems safe to say the black and brown are the positive and negative for the speakers. My best guess is that the wires with pink bands are the ignition and the constant, but I'm not sure which is which. Also not sure what the green wire could be? Initially I thought maybe the wires in the 4 pin area might be the ignition and constant seeing as they're grouped, but the pink band thing seems to track better given the colour of the wires.

I don't have a multimeter and I only have about $20 I can afford to spend on getting the new unit in, so if anyone has any guidance it would be appreciated!

Side note: I'm reading that the bracket provides an earth, but assume I should probably get an o ring on the wire from the new head unit and attach it to the bracket just to be safe?

Last edited:
Hey mate,

If you tell us where you are, someone may be able to give you a hand.

Otherwise, one of those wires you have will be a feed for the parking lights to dim the display. The easiest way to earth the unit will be either using a Bolt into the metal framework behind the dash or drilling a self tapping screw in it...

Last edited:
Okay, so I caved and bought a multimeter - for posterity, the red wire with green stripe was the 12v constant and the green wire with white stripe was the ignition. Couldn't work out what the pink wire was but haven't suffered at all for having left it unconnected. Happy travels!

Hey mate,

If you tell us where you are, someone may be able to give you a hand.

Otherwise, one of those wires you have will be a feed for the parking lights to dim the display. The easiest way to earth the unit will be either using a Bolt into the metal framework behind the dash or drilling a self tapping screw in it...
Whoops - didn't see this before I responded! In case it's helpful in future, I'm located in the Sunny Coast area in QLD, and the vehicle was originally purchased in Townsville. I suppose that pink wire must have been the dimmer? :)

Thanks for your help!

Yep I'd say so. People have a tendency to hook that up as an earth and all is good until they turn the headlights on and wonder why it blows fuses... It is sometimes a good thing to hook up if your head unit supports it because it will dim the radio when you turn the lights on...

Good job though, at least you got it sorted out...

Latest posts

Back