D40 stalling, ? fuel pump

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys,
I have experienced the same problem.
The fuel line would lose charge overnight. It would require pumping the primer until full prime was achieved. It would run fine after that.
I tested the suction control valve by releasing the fuel cap prior to starting, this didn't work.
I then replaced the non genuine fuel filter with a genuine one. All good so far. Shame the genuine ones are $150. I not sure why the non genuine one caused this problem. Maybe a top quality non genuine one would have been OK.

Could have been the little seal in the filter. If it's not aligned perfectly, it allows air to seep in, the fuel returns to the fuel tank and you have to reprime to start. Happens a bit, obviously not the best design - it should be replaceable without being so finicky.

Usually that sort of problem is caused by fuel lines around the filter - either old hose, the clamps are loose, or they're overtightened (pinching the hose).

Same symptoms in my 07 manual ... replaced SCV but still persisted. Checked the primer bulb and seemed OK. Fuel lines looked OK but decided to replace the Fuel Filter with a Nissan one + all the rubber fuel lines to it. Problem sorted. On closer inspection one of the rubber lines had a very narrow crack that wasn't obvious until it was removed and looked at closely. Did also block off the EGR to take that out of the equation early in the piece.

Stay away from aftermarket filters...they are all crap. Only original filters for D40 diesal. My aftermarket one lasted about 6 weeks, i had to start priming it in the mornings to get it started. Local mechanic replaced with original with warning of aftermarket fuel filters for this model are rubbish (especially with the seals)

Hi all. I am just wondering what loosening the fuel cap actually does? It seems to be helping with my issue but I'd like to know what is happening. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hi all. I am just wondering what loosening the fuel cap actually does? It seems to be helping with my issue but I'd like to know what is happening. Cheers

if the tank breather is blocked the tank goes into vacuum as the level of fuel goes down (no air going in to replace it). more vacuum means the injection pump is fighting to draw the fuel up from the tank which results in drop in fuel injection pressure.
also any vacuum in the line can cause air to be sucked in through any leaks around fuel filters or fuel hose ends.

if the tank breather is blocked the tank goes into vacuum as the level of fuel goes down (no air going in to replace it). more vacuum means the injection pump is fighting to draw the fuel up from the tank which results in drop in fuel injection pressure.
also any vacuum in the line can cause air to be sucked in through any leaks around fuel filters or fuel hose ends.
Will this cause codes to be thrown. We are having p0089 come up.

Will this cause codes to be thrown. We are having p0089 come up.

i don't have all the codes for d40's.
that code seams to be "injection fuel pressure to high".

try deleting the fuel learning data.

changing filter or a change caused by a blocked breather might cause it.
eg tank vac will cause the ecu to adjust to compensate for it, but then when you open the fuel tank, it suddenly changes the vacuum but the ecu is still compensating and gives you higher injection pressure, which triggers the over pressure fault.

Releasing the fuel cap also (sometimes) eases the symptoms of an SCV that needs attention (either cleaning or replacing). It doesn't always work, but if it does, it's either the breather or the SCV. The SCV is more likely to trigger an odd code than the tank breather but these pumps are phenomenal and if they start working harder to get the fuel, they could easily surge and produce this code.

We're talking about a pump that produces 1700BAR. Do the math - that's near 25,000psi.

07 d40 STX diesel

I replaced all my fuel lines with Australian made Mackay fuel hose from supercheap when the truck was at 90,000k

The original lines were all cracked and brittle

Seems like it's a thing for d40s

Come to mention it i replaced all the vacuum lines with silicone ones around the same time as they'd turned to dust

I thought this was all a bit lame as my 1998 mazda bravo has done 260,000k and ive never replaced any hoses or lines at all

Japanese cars were better back when they were actually MADE IN JAPAN

So i picked up the haynes manual last night. The p0089 code is for rail pressure sensor. I will try get the connector off and give it a clean and take it for a drive. Having the fuel cap loose didn't seem to have any effect as it still faulted. Is the sensor something you can replace or is it true that the only option is to replace the rail?

So i cleaned the connector on the sensor and it seemed to be quite loose. Took it for a short drive the same as yesterday and it didn't fault. I'm off again for a bit longer now and will see how it goes. Its not hunting like it did when the scv went last time so fingers crossed it was just loose and dirty.

Nope. No good. Still faulting with p0089. This doesn't fill me with confidence haha. Any ideas?

Have you removed, cleaned and replaced the SCV?

Reasons my would stall - and fix
1. SUCTION CONTROL VALVE - cleaned.. came back.. replaced.. issue went
2. Incorrect fitted fuel filter. Feul drained out, causing stall. Removed, replaced, probem gone
3. Fuel Pump Fail. Would stall when cold. hard to start. long crank. Sent off for diagnosis and found fuel pump needed rebuilding - carried out and issue went.

Have you made sure ALL earths are clean and tight? D40's are sticklers for clean Earth.

SCV's have known to get stuck and overfuel the rail - leading to high pressure. How old is your current one?

Have you tried a PUMP RESET AND LEARN?

Latest posts

Back