What gearbox have I got??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tangles

Reaction score
I'm a Newbie,

SO forgive me from the start.

This has probably been answered somewhere on the forum, but I do not have the time to troll through the thousands of posts to find it, so I will ask.

How do you tell what gearbox /transfer case you have, when you do not have the vehicle it came from??

In a post in 2010, Dion posted the following:

You want an FS5W71C with Z/KA bellhousing, fitted to:
D21 4x4 86-96 Z24/KA24E
D21 4x2 86-92 Z24/KA24E
WD21 4x4 86-96 Z24
D22 4x2 97-04 KA24DE

Mildly useful:
E23 4x2 ?? column shift Z24
E24 4x2 ?? column shift Z24
(^Urvans)

Obviously a 4x4 box is less of a risk than a 4x2 box but you can always swap the gearset across and hope the tolerances are similar between the two casings, IF you can't easily swap the casing to accept the transfer case.

You don't really want an FS5W71C with TD bellhousing, fitted to:
D21 4x4 88-96 TD27
D21 4x2 88-96 TD23
WD21 4x4 86-88 TD27
WD21 4x4 88-96 TD27T

I have recently bought a Box and transfer case which is from a D21. How do I tell if it is from a Z24/KA24E or from a TD27.

Is there any thing on the box to determine the difference??

From what I have read, on this site, the D21 came out with the same box, a FS5W71C, but with different bell housings.

Is that correct?? If so, what is the easiest way to determine what it fits, Petrol or Diesel. I have both...

Thank you

Position of the bulge for the starter motor is the easiest I think. For the Z24/KA24 it is to the left, and up high (when looking at the bell housing front on). Not sure about the TD or SD bello housing. Post a pic of the front view and it might help.

I'll try and find some pics online to show it too.

This forum shows a KA (also a Z) bell housing snapshot, compared to an SR

Some older D21s may have had an SD23 or SD25 diesel engine, and from reading another page, the bellhousing for these looks like this.

Here is apparently a TD27 gearbox. Looks fairly similar to the KA/Z box to me.

Dion may have other clues to look at.

Last edited:
I'm a Newbie,

SO forgive me from the start.

This has probably been answered somewhere on the forum, but I do not have the time to troll through the thousands of posts to find it, so I will ask.

And just a comment - use the search function. If you don't have time to search, you probably don't want to know enough. :welcome:

Plus, you never know what else you'll come across that will be useful to you next time you have a question.

Just for interest sake, I did a search, however most threads relate to Gearbox problems moreso than what box is what.

Post a picture of the flange pattern and I can tell you. Pinelli has provided some good ways to figure it out but I can cross reference with the paperback manual bellhousing patterns if needed.

Thanks for the info fella's, Pinelli's pictture of the TD27 showed the similarity, but it is definitely not the box I have. The box and transfer case I picked up fo under $200 is for the D21 petrol, The same as I am fixing as my daily driver.

I will post up some pictures when the weather clears up. More rain up here on the Gold Coast tomorrow. So no work outside for another weekend. I'm sure my partner will have some other duties planned for me...hehe

Latest posts

Back