Go Back   The Navara Forum > D40 > D40 Engine

Exhaust upgrades...any benefits?
Old 09-01-2009, 03:22 AM

My Mood:
Default Exhaust upgrades...any benefits?

Hi Guys,

I was talking to a guy in Coffs Harbour while I was away recently and he was on about upgrading the D40 turbo's exhaust system. Now I know the high powered turbo cars like Gtr's and the like upgrade thier systems and they seem to benefit from this but is there any benefit in upgrading the D40 system?
Does it make more power? Is it more fuel efficient? etc. Has anyone considered or made this change? If you have what parts have you used? How much did it cost and how big did you go?
DOES SIZE MATTER......:5: anyway, look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks
Sponsored Links

Old 09-01-2009, 05:11 AM

i'm looking at doing it in the next couple of months to my d40. going 2.5 inch . supposed to give more power and better fuel economy especially on long trips which i do quite often.been quoted $1100

Old 09-01-2009, 05:55 AM

My Mood:

Have you guys had a look under your D40s, the last few I've looked under have had 2.5" mandrel bent systems from the factory, if yours are the same about all I'd consider doing is changing out the muffler for a straight through job, or if you don't mind a little extra noise, just a piece of pipe in its place.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:52 AM

My Mood:

Hi Shonky,

thanks for the heads up. I haven't looked but will do once the wife brings back the car...she loves driving it.

Anyway didn't think thing happened from the factory. I will have a look and let you know.....
thanks again

Old 09-01-2009, 07:00 AM

My Mood:

It's pretty common now with all the new diesels in the utes, the D40 Nav, the 3.0 D4-D Hilux, the 3.2 DiD Triton, and the 3.0 BT-50/Ranger that have all passed through my work for fit ups in the last 6 months have had 2.5" mandrel bent systems on them out of the factory.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:16 AM

My Mood:

Hi Shonky,

just had a look, looks like its mandrel bends from engine/turbo to the muffler then press bends from there onwards. Its good to know that they have done this from factory.

So if this is the case its just a simple case of replacing the muffler with a straight through and end pipe to mandrel bends 2.5 inch.

Thanks again

Old 09-01-2009, 07:26 AM

My Mood:
Thumbs up

i now have a 2 3/4 mandrel bent system on a 2006 d40 auto, pretty sure factory system was only about 2 1/4 and defintly not mandrel bent so the bends where restricted even further. some small economy benifits noticed straight away and definitly a power increase. i had the car on the dyno before and after the dp chip. hopefully i can get it done again soon and get some real figures on the power increase for the exaust as i could not find any when i was looking for a system. i am pretty sure that the system cast around $1250 fitted. value for money i would go a DP chip first as i recieved a 25% increase in power on the dyno and it dosent use any more fuel if you drive it normally. however when you nail it all the time to see how much better it goes it sure usses a crap load of fuel. the bonous with the chip is you can easliy take it with you to you next diesel vehicle so long as it is a common rail injected diesel.
2006 D40 stx auto diesel,silver,2 3/4 beaudesert mandrel exhaust, 2"OME suspension, Stratos suspension seats,uhf,elect trailer brakes,sandgrabers,tubliner, ARB Sahara bar,9000lb Tmax winch, light force spotties and 265/75 BFG A/T ,K&N air Filter

Old 09-01-2009, 02:06 PM

My Mood:

im thinking of just cutting my exhaust back before the muffler.. see how it goes.. if its no good will just buy a straight through muffler shouldnt cost much.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:18 PM

My Mood:
Send a message via MSN to D22 King

gave the blokes at hedland diesel and exhaust a call today at they quote me a grand for a custom built 1. 3.5 inch straight thru from the turbo with only a cat
2004 Nissan Navara STR 3.0 TD, 125ltr fuel tank, Uniden UH-088sx, Uniden 470 aerial, Tray Liner, EGR and butterfly mod, Steel winch bullbar, Narva Ultima 225 spreader kit, Pioneer sound system, Bridgestone 265/75/16 D694LT tyres, Swoosh volt guage with multicolored lights (yay, the kid in me!)

Old 09-01-2009, 03:42 PM

My Mood:
Garage

Dont bother with a 3.5 inch system. If you were running a 6BT Cummins (5.9L, 6.7L), Duramax (6.6L V8), Powerstroke 7.3L, 6L V8 then yeah but not for a ZD30. Good luck fitting it under the ute aswell.

Dave.