D22 YD25 Liqui Moly Diesel Purge

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyNav09

Reaction score
Hey guys/girls

I recently found on this forum a thread on Liqui Moly Diesel Purge which was based in the D40 thread. after much hunting and hesitation i purchased this stuff and went about "Purging" the motor.

Below is a list of tools and products needed: (remember some of these things can be changed for cheaper alternatives.)

Liqui Moly Diesel Purge (500ml Cans) about $16-$17 from automotive shops
1mx10mm Clear Vinyl Tubing $5
1mx6mm Clear Vinyl Tubing $4
Inline Fuel Filter (Ryco Z153K, has 10mm barbs) $14 (cheaper alternative is $5 but has 6mm barbs and will need reducer to make work)
A jug or bottle so you can see the level of the purge so you dont run dry

Tools:
Pliers
Screwdrivers
8mm socket (to undo the fuel line clamps)
Stanley Knife

First thing is to locate the correct lines from the fuel tank to the pump. When you follow the lines from the tank (i have long ranger 125L tank) you will follow 3 lines from it. 2x 1/4" and 1x 3/8" line.

1x 1/4" line is a Breather which runs to the engine bay and ends in hard pipe on the firewall behind the braek booster
1x1/4" is the return line from the top of tank to top of fuel pump
1x3/8" is the fuel in fro tank to filter then from filter to pump.

in this picture you see at the bottom is 2x 3/8" lines. The left line is from the tank running up onto firewall in hardpipe to the fuel filter. The right line is coming back from the fuel filter and into the pump. The small 1/4" line you see at top middle is the "return line" which runs back down and follows the rest of the harrdlines back to the tank.

Last edited:
This is the gear i got. Excuse the funnel in the top of the motor. i did an oil change at the same time.

As you see i have 2 lots of clear line, jug, 2 lots of purge and a filter i have already connected to the clear 10mm hose.

I chose the Z153k Ryco fuel filter cause it came with 2x50mm lengths if fuel hose and 4 spring loaded clamps for a cost of $14. Also has 3/8" in and out barb ends for ease of pipe fitting.

Alright so here you see i have removed the 3/8" and 1/4" line and put the clear line on it(note the clamp is not required on the 1/4" line but i did it cause i didnt know what pressure it would be under). The filter has a direction of flow on it so the arrow needs to face the pump. i installed one of the short black fuel hose and clamps onto the pump end and installed it to the hard fuel line.

Note i also clamped the old fuel line with a hose clamp to stop and air getting back into the filters etc.

Here i have both lines running into the jug and just used electrical tape to hold them in place. make sure the big line is right to the bottom of the jug as this is your pickup. the small line can be left at any length in the jug.

Fill the jug with a can of diesel purge. I pre filled the 3/8" line with diesel purge before tipping the rest into the jug. Sorta acts as being pre primed and doesnt have the pump running low on fuel for long or at all.

Start your engine and let it idle and make sure the fuel is pumping in and there is fuel coming out of the return line back into the jug.

this is just to show all that this small line is the return line. it only trickles in but it is working.

Now give the engine a few large revs with a few going into the 4000rpm range and let it idle down again. i used the heat switch for 5 minutes then off and idle for 5 minutes. every so often i gave it a boot full to open up the injectors all the way for a good deep clean.

whole process including removal and install of lines and running of cleaner took about 1hour. the longest part is the running of the purge. so be ready to sit and wait for it to use it all up.

You need to make sure you switch the car OFF with about 50mls left in the jug. Remove purge lines and re-install fuel lines etc. Tip left over purge into your fuel tank.

Prime the lines, start the car and make sure it idles properly. Take it for a Spin and make sure you rev the car on its full rev range to get the full affects.

My genuine conclusion to using this is:
- Genuine smoother quieter idle
- Smoother fuel delivery in the full rev range and quieter again
- I noticed the whole car drove smoother because of the smooth delivery
- Fuel Economy = Time will tell. i did refill the tank to full and added Liqui Moly Clean and Boost
- Before doing the purge i had noticed the car lacked the ability to get to 3000rpm and over. Yes i know we shouldnt be pushing it that hard etc etc. After this purge the car hits 3000rpm+ with ease and doesnt hesitate in doing so
-Less smoke from exhaust on take off and giving it the berries

Any questions dont hesitate to ask

Last edited:
Hey guys some more feedback. Done 300 odd kms now and done some highway driving.

Noticeable quieter at high rpm. I had a really annoying injector hammer/tap that even was louder then the snorkel intake. No snorkel is louder and i can hear the turbo spool more.

My egts have dropped by up too 20deg at highway speeds. Used to get 350 deg at 100km now im getting 330ish. Cleaner spray and better burn

I may be doing this every 10000km after ive had a major service done.

Rusty

comment on my findings.

First tank of fuel i pushed 1150kms from the tank passed the red light. So it was like a 119L fill i think. Second tank i have gotten the 1150kms to the fuel light coming on. So i could easily squeeze another 50+kms before filling up. So all in all i gained 50-100kms to the tank.

Have to add the first tank was mostly highway kms and the second mostly local street driving.

Very happy with results

Last edited by a moderator:
i am about to do this as well,i drive a zd30,2004

Attachments

• IMG-20140422-00362.jpg
    IMG-20140422-00362.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 498
the super additive says it raises the cetan number,improves starting from cold start,not that i have that problem with the zd30,improves economy,prevents corrosion,etc.i am trying because all the others i have haven't done anything as what the label says on it,even if it doesn't you know how it goes,it gives you a peace of mind when you are doing it,looking to keep the nissan in good shape for awhile.

Hi Rusty.
Does the purge fluid run the engine like diesel is that correct. The jug is 100% purge fluid and you run the engine on it until is almost all gone is that rite.
Just trying to understand the process.
Thanks Brad

Hi Rusty.
Does the purge fluid run the engine like diesel is that correct. The jug is 100% purge fluid and you run the engine on it until is almost all gone is that rite.
Just trying to understand the process.
Thanks Brad

Me reading it i come to the same conclusion..went to autobahn and got two cans of it today..

Hi all. Well I did the fuel purge today. Thanks to rusty for the write up, it made it very easy to do. I used the same inline filter as rusty and clear tubing. The only thing I did different was I used a 1.5 litre plastic decor container with a lid then drilled the two holes for the two different size hoses in the lid. image-2402936717.jpg I couldn't believe how the inlet tube was full of air the whole time yet it didn't effect the running of the engine at all. The return line was fully primed all the time and only had some bubbles when at a higher RPM. So to anyone going to do this don't worry if the feed line is not completely air free. I just did as rusty said in his write up and filled the filter and line with the purge fluid first. Cheers.

Last edited:
Good work guys. I had air in mine aswell only at higher rpm but it cleared up as it idled for a bit. No harm done its usual.

Glad i could help

Rusty

Thanks heaps rusty did the purge on my zd30 used all the same things as you

Iv got pics of the hoses connected on the zd30 but dont know how to post them up

Thanks heaps rusty did the purge on my zd30 used all the same things as you

Iv got pics of the hoses connected on the zd30 put them up soon

Attachments

• 20140822_092349.jpg
    20140822_092349.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
Just started mine up this morning after doing the purge and wow. The idle is so smooth now. I also noticed that the fumes were nowhere near as bad. It use to idle like a top fuel drag car first thing untill it warmed up, so worth every cent. I think I will try their other products as well.
Cheers.

Latest posts

Back